Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Flesh,
    In all my travels I have not found any place ( other than woodworkers.ie that you already mention) that sell hardwood less that 25 mm. I presume if you are asking this question then you are not in a situation where you can resaw thicker boards. Either by table saw or band saw or plane them down with a thicknesser/jointer. Brooks in balbriggan do resaw but I think they only do softwood, they have a massive bandsaw in the warehouse. It might be worth asking them about hardwood, if you haven't already that is.

actually I just checked my links and check out http://www.strahan.ie/prod-hardwoods.htm
    look at the bottom of the page and they have mahogany (luan) 2 x 3/4" I know it's way outside your area and they probably charge an arm and a leg but it is all that I can find in my bookmarks that is close to what you are looking for.

Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Thanx for the reply

Germany it is then - at least i can see pics of what I'm buying
    and delivery is cheaper then here

the stuff in brooks didn't look great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got mahogany from stranhan and it's perfect. A little over an inch thick,actually it varies in width from 6-over 8 inches and wasn't too expensive, They thickness it for a small fee if needed.
    On the subject,anyone know where I'd pick up some rosewood?

i would be curious too as where you could get some of the more exotic woods. Rosewood, tulipwood ebony etc.... small quantities without having to resort to the internet and buying them sight unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

is there any place open in Dublin on a Saturday and preferably with a cutting service. I need a couple of sheets of oak mdf. I think that Noyeks are open in morning but not sure if they will cut, can't get 8' * 4' in car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

Hi guys, I'm looking for some cedar cladding (shadow gap profile) preferably 200mm wide. If anyone could recommend a supplier it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Looking to get some long Oak Timber beams for the inside of a house. Need them 20ft long. Roughly 12in by 4in or something similar. Anyone got any contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

ricfeen wrote: »
    Looking to get some long Oak Timber beams for the inside of a house. Need them 20ft long. Roughly 12in by 4in or something similar. Anyone got any contacts.

try places like abbey woods in baldoyle or call joiners like [higginbottom (spelling) in coolock or mcnallys in walshstown NCD]

Have a look at these guys too ; Lisnavagh Timber project
    http://www.irishwoods.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ Riley Young Tourniquet

Kantor are selling off all their stock for about half the price from what I have heard. They are closing down :( Not sure when but soon. Might be helpful for someone looking for a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

''Kantor are selling off all their stock for about half the price from what I have heard. They are closing down Not sure when but soon. Might be helpful for someone looking for a good deal. ''

They are only closing the branch in Ballymount, the one in Kilbeggan is staying open and any unsold stock will be sent down to it. No great discounts(from what they told me today) but I always thought they were good value anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mr Woodcraft

There is a company in Ballylanders that might be worth a shot.
    Galtee Veneer Bonding Ltd.
    www.galteewood.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MichelRichmont

I've just felled several mature european larch trees which were from 80-100ft tall. All between 90 and 110 years old. Bases are from 1.5- 2.5 feet across.

Long lengths when milled would be great mantels, or beams in a renovation or new build. Timber is golden/orange in colour.

Located in North County Louth, accessible site.

For sale in raw state, unmilled - will need to be milled, sanded, dried etc.

PM me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend somebody that would sell 1"x3" pine, nail ply, removable pin hinges? I am constructing a set and need materials for flats. It has to be good value as it is a tight budget and must be in Dublin. If they are open anytime Saturday it would be brilliant.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 randm

hello all. I am building a garden shed and was wondering where I could get pressure treated shiplap timber at a good price

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

kadman wrote: »
    Try here, I used to buy veneer from them , a few years ago

http://www.abbeywoods.ie/

kadman :)

I am looking for wood to build a fence, does not have to be fancy, reclaimed or second hand or seconds, can any one help, pallets would be useful if i can obtain them, hopefully cork or kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 the mucker

Hi All
    I am very new to this forum but hopefully you can help. I am putting in a garden gate with a stone wall entrance.

So far prices for manufactured gates are extortionate for nice sheeted hardwood gate. I was thinking about making a powder coated steel frame and screwing 1" planed rebate or tongued hardwood to the frame (no studs showing to the front). I have seen one or two versions of this and with the correct timber nicely treated they can look great.

My question would be what is the best timber to use and where is the best place to get it. I would like a teak effect. I have used rebated kerwick for and old lorry body restoration but it looks dull and doesn't sand very well.

many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

teak or cedar are good outdoor woods oak is also good and turns a nice silvery grey colour if left untreated outdoors, what part of the country are you hoping to source the wood in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Heya,

Lads I'm looking for exotic hardwoods (pink ivory, ambonya etc)
    Anyone know of anywhere that could possibly stock these or even order them in for me?
    I've asked in McQuillans but they sorta just gasped at me. Looking to turn jewellery out of it.

Anywho any leads would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could try http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk.They have Pink Ivory, no Ambonya (don't even know what that is :D) though.

If you're looking for small (i.e. long, thin) pieces, searching through the pen blanks might result in cheaper results, otherwise just look in the woods section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 the mucker

teak or cedar are good outdoor woods oak is also good and turns a nice silvery grey colour if left untreated outdoors, what part of the country are you hoping to source the wood in

Anywhere in leinster / west munster

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Hi

Does anyone know of any hardwood suppliers in the NW - Donegal/Sligo/Leitrim general area ?

Alternatively any makers/Cabinet Makers professional or hobbyists who use hardwood and can make bellows cheeks for me ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am looking for some wawa/obeche about 5-10 7 ft boards, depending on width, for a bench in a sauna. I am in Dublin city centre.

Kantor have it in Kilbeggan, and they seemed helpful and co it sounds like very good value, but I don't know when I'll get to make the trip, and their delivery charge would be quite high.

Morgans have it on their website but don't have it although it is on their website. Haven't seen any for years apparently.

Brooks in Sandyford and Bluebell didn't have it, although Bluebell suggested I try their locations in Sligo and Cork.

Any other ideas?

Antoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 E.A.P

Hi
    Need both softwood and hardwood for acoustic guitar project. About 5mm thick and 200mm wide. Looking for stiff boards with straight tight grain, quarter sawn with as few runouts as possible. See before buying preferred.

Looking for supplier in Ireland. Closest I can find is England.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I bought what I needed (see above) from Kantor in Kilbeggan. Very good, friendly service and what seemed to me like good prices. Delivery cost to Dublin was 45 euros. You would probably need to go to their yard to make sure you were happy with what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnPF

Hi folks,

I'm going to build a few built-in wardrobes and a large bookcase - I'm looking for good suppliers for sheet materials, doors etc. Woodworkers in Terenure looks good, but the old adage "price around" springs to mind!

Do you guys know of any other suppliers with similar stuff to Woodworkers? I want to compare and get the best deal.

Thanks,
    John.

Hi,
    Went up to brooks in balbriggan today to get some hardwood and the hardwood dept is now closed and all the hardwood is now done out of the branch in bluebell of the naas road. Also they used to cross cut the hardwood for me so that i could get it into the car, they no longer do that so I have to cut it by hand in the car park. I'm afraid I will be finding somebody else to get my hardwood from. Abbey woods in baldoyle is probably my next choice. Does anybody know if they will cross cut for your average joe to fit in his car?

cheers all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi I had the same problem, with brooks but now I get it from Mcnally joinery they are on the opposite side of the motorway about 300 yards and take a left. They will cut it and sand it to any size you like and the price is not to bad.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

ennisa wrote: »
    Hi,
    Went up to brooks in balbriggan today to get some hardwood and the hardwood dept is now closed and all the hardwood is now done out of the branch in bluebell of the naas road. Also they used to cross cut the hardwood for me so that i could get it into the car, they no longer do that so I have to cut it by hand in the car park. I'm afraid I will be finding somebody else to get my hardwood from. Abbey woods in baldoyle is probably my next choice. Does anybody know if they will cross cut for your average joe to fit in his car?

cheers all.

Consider a cordless jigsaw thats compatible with ur existing cordless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gaudy

is there any good(mainly cheap) stockests of hardwood in the connaught area?

Advertisement