Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long ago has Southside vs Northside been a thing?

• 17-01-2018 4:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭

I should say it actually doesn't even seem to be that much of a thing anymore, if it ever was. There's no way of any rivalry really developing unless you play GAA or something but I'm interested to know when it first began to be a thing. My dad is from North Inner city and he has no memory of having any sort of feeling towards the 'southside'.

Comments

21Savage wrote: »
    I should say it actually doesn't even seem to be that much of a thing anymore, if it ever was. There's no way of any rivalry really developing unless you play GAA or something but I'm interested to know when it first began to be a thing. My dad is from North Inner city and he has no memory of having any sort of feeling towards the 'southside'.

I thought they had gotten rid of that by just replacing TS and TN with a simple T?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

its always been more banter than any real rivalry

I mean neighbouring GAA clubs would be far more rivals than a northside club vs southside club

I also think that those from the city centre wouldn't really be part of it...its more of a suburban thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I presume as long as townie and culchie has been a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Do you mean just with regards GAA? In terms of social or class divide it dates back centuries to when the aristocracy moved across the river to the southside and it was established as the wealthy side. It was originally the north that was where the wealthiest people live but then places like merrion square and stephens green were built

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ever since they bridged the Liffey...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lodger81

Always seemed to be a southside thing to me. As a northsider i never gave the southside a sceond thought until i went to school there and got the whole "oh, you're a Northsider" reaction, was mostly banter anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,124 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It died out a fair bit after Tupac was killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

All Dubs to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Since the culchies moved in and tried creating a divide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

wakka12 wrote: »
    Do you mean just with regards GAA? In terms of social or class divide it dates back centuries to when the aristocracy moved across the river to the southside and it was established as the wealthy side. It was originally the north that was where the wealthiest people live but then places like merrion square and stephens green were built

I was reading about this before and it's pretty fascinating. The northside around Parnell and Mountjoy squares were the fancy spots until Leinster house was built in the early 19th century, then all the rich folk followed over Southside and the Georgian northside buildings were converted to tenements, hence becoming the "rough" side. I may have the finer points of that wrong but that's roughly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Northside vs Southside stereotypes fall fairly easily today when you compare Castleknock, Portmarnock and Malahide to Crumlin, Clondalkin and Tallaght. If there's a real divide now, it's East and West.

Historically, I think the dockers lived on the Northside and the more affluent on the South. The Southside having a more prestigious postcode led to Áras an Uachtaráin falling in the more favorable D8 region.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Omackeral wrote: »
    Northside vs Southside steroetypes fall fairly easily when you compare Castleknock, Portmarnock and Malahide to Crumlin, Clondalkin and Tallaght. If there's a real divide, it's East and West.

It stands up ok when you compare just the city centre though, insofar as a stereotype means anything. Obviously it's not going to apply across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When the southside discovered that the only airport was on the northside! That, and the GPO, Croker, Santry Stadium, the Phoenix Park, the zoo...

Suck it up, southsiders!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    When the southside discovered that the only airport was on the northside! That, and the GPO, Croker, Santry Stadium, the Phoenix Park, the zoo...

Suck it up, southsiders!

A real coup that one.

Northside vs Southside stereotypes fall fairly easily today when you compare Castleknock, Portmarnock and Malahide to Crumlin, Clondalkin and Tallaght. If there's a real divide now, it's East and West.

Historically, I think the dockers lived on the Northside and the more affluent on the South. The Southside having a more prestigious postcode led to Áras an Uachtaráin falling in the more favorable D8 region.

Yeh and even with the east west thing you have sheriff street areas east and kimainham and castleknock west. Really Dublin is a big mixed bag..theres a very large concentration of wealth in the south east of the city clearly. If I had to say there was a trend Id say along the dart line is the wealthiest part of the city
    Overall its a very majority middle class city, theres hardly any really bad areas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I live inside the M50 and yet am neither Northside nor Southside :cool:

I live inside the M50 and yet am neither Northside nor Southside :cool:

Do you live in a houseboat on the Liffey?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A real coup that one.

"But we have Belfield! Or as it's now called, the UCD Cor Pork."

Yep, they win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Since cliched stereotypes were renewed.

So probably around 1591.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's only been a thing since 1948 - since we started electing northsiders as Taoisigh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Do you live in a houseboat on the Liffey?

Not quite, an island. Sort of.

Even thought the wealth divide isn't that big anymore overall I think the legacy is continuing mostly because people on either side of the city have developed such incredibly different accents on average( I know theres plenty of acceptiions)

I wonder if theres any other place in the world where two sides of a city have developed such starkly different accents

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Liberty Boys V Ormond Boys late 18th Century

Oh yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here in Waterford we talk of little else.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I wonder if theres any other place in the world where two sides of a city have developed such starkly different accents

There's no real such thing as a 'Northside' and 'Southside' accent. A chap from Finglas sounds the same as a chap from Drimnagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Omackeral wrote:
    The Southside having a more prestigious postcode led to Áras an Uachtaráin falling in the more favorable D8 region.
    The reason the Áras is in D8 is that it was served by the James’s St sorting office simply because it was closer/more convenient than Phibsboro sorting office - this was way before postal codes even existed.

When codes were eventually introduced James’s St continued to sort the Áras post so it was deemed to be in Dublin 8.

Nothing to do with prestige!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The 1700s actually.

The northside used to be the posh part.

Mountjoy Square and Henrietta St were the posh areas in particular.

Merrion Square was built in the late 1700s and was seen as a new emerging area but less established than Mountjoy Square.

Then - and sorry for not knowing exact dates - a member of the Anglo Irish gentry married a peripheral member of the British Royal Family around that time; a 'princess' as it were. A celebrity in her day.

She moved to Dublin, and the happy couple chose to live in Merrion Square.

The baromoter of what was fashionable swung across the river.

Ever since then, the nobs live on the Southside and normal people live on the Northside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Neptune House?

The Weir is on the North Side so the "Island" belongs to us! (IE De Nort Side)

Advertisement