Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

• 17-10-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Seeing as we have had the N21 Castleisland bypass thread i reckon its about time we had one on the Tralee bypass

clip_image001.jpg

I went out yesterday and took a few shots of the road now that its fenced off and the archaeological surveys have started.

This is where the roundabout will be on the N22 just outside Tralee,photo is taken outside the Ballygarry House Hotel on the opposite side of the road looking towards Tralee. Roundabout will be approx where the cars are on the road.
    BYPASS1_zpsf1edd54d.jpg

This was taken from across the road from the Ballygarry looking towards northernTralee,with archaeological clearing visible.
    BYPASS6_zps0c6a6da4.jpg

This shot is taken from where the roundabout will be on the N22,looking towards the N69.
    BYPASS10_zps8f2a45f4.jpg

This picture is from the old N22(Mile height) just beside the Ballygarry House Hotel,which is just to the left but out of shot. View is looking towards the N70.
    BYPASS8_zps31260136.jpg

This shot is taken in Ballynabreanagh,about two miles up the road up past the college,shot is looking towards the N69. I suppose there will be a flyover/bridge here over this road.
    BYPASS2_zps690d60d4.jpg

This pic is on the opposite side of the road to the above pic looking down towards the upper Ballybeggan road and over towards the N70. Ballybeggan road is visible at the base of the pole.
    BYPASS3_zps52d1e0cc.jpg

These shots were taken from upper Ballybeggan road looking up towards where the last pic was taken from.
    BYPASS5_zpscefdb0b5.jpg

BYPASS4_zps16e1779b.jpg

This is where the road will meet the N69 just below Leith west cross in Lismore on the Tralee side. I guess there will be a roundabout here also.
    BYPASS7_zpse9062520.jpg

I didnt have time to get pictures of where the road will cross Ballinorig or where it will meet the N70,but i will try to in the next few days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The NRA website says the project is currently at the Preliminary Design stage.
    If there are works being carried out then does it mean progress has moved on from Preliminary Design?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The NRA website says the project is currently at the Preliminary Design stage.
    If there are works being carried out then does it mean progress has moved on from Preliminary Design?
    Not sure of that,i dont think they will be actually building the road anytime soon,but i figured it would be worth taking the above shots for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

thanks for the photos!

it is unlikely that this project will proceed to construction anytime soon as there isn't a bob in the country to pay for it!!!
    mind you, watch castleisland next friday, it will be interesting to see who turns up ... given that the smell of an election is in the air.
    Not sure of that,i dont think they will be actually building the road anytime soon,but i figured it would be worth taking the above shots for the record.

Links to relevant pages on Kerry County Council website:

Tralee By-pass Project:-
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22traleebypass/

Tralee Ring Roads project:-
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/traleeringroadsproject/

Here's the tender for construction of the project from eTenders:
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR148815

note: i don't understand why they have not removed the black-bridge of the R551 (tralee-ardfert-ballyheigue road) within the scope of this project. it seems to me to be a very grave ommission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Great thread already. Actually this project has a good chance of going to construction in the next year or two. Capital spending can't be cut to zero straight away after all the road projects come to an end next month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Following on from the initial expressions of interest at the pretender stage, Kerry Co Co have recently invited full tenders from a shortlist of five contractors. BAM are favorites to land this.

Just looking at the maps on the co.co. website,its much bigger and more involved than i thought it would be. Would all this be built at once or just in sections? I didnt realise there would be a road linking down to the college above forge cross,and all the way down to the cross.
    If it ever gets fully completed it will be some job.:cool:

The ring roads project is scheduled for a phased implementation.
    Phase 1 is what's being called the tralee bypass project.
    Just looking at the maps on the co.co. website,its much bigger and more involved than i thought it would be. Would all this be built at once or just in sections? I didnt realise there would be a road linking down to the college above forge cross,and all the way down to the cross.
    If it ever gets fully completed it will be some job.:cool:

fresca wrote: »
    The ring roads project is scheduled for a phased implementation.
    Phase 1 is what's being called the tralee bypass project.
    Ah yes,i see,they will do the basic road first. I was looking at map four on the pdf files and its a lot of changeing around.
    I wonder has all the land been compulsory purchased,or just the part they will do first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

the land has already been CPO'd for the Tralee bypass part, not sure about the whole lot

And what stage is this at?? I heard this morning that the "crowd" who did the Castleisland bypass will be doing this too. Is this just a baseless rumour? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As per my previous post, this has gone to tender. BAM (the contractor for the Castleisland Bypass) are one of five groups to tender for this and by all accounts they are considered the favorites to land it.

Construction expected to begin early next year.

Quackster wrote: »
    Construction expected to begin early next year.
    Lets hope so! :D

while I do welcome the construction of this bypass, and it is needed, from a purely selfish perspective this is going to make getting to work HELL for a few months.

But at least it will be worth it in the end!

Well Well Well. Jackie Healy Rae is not giving support for the budget unless he gets his wishlist first :rolleyes: I do support getting the Tralee bypass built but putting your local parish pump before the national interest is not on :mad:
    Independent TD Jackie Healy Rae said today that there are a number of things he wants from the Government in order to secure his support for the Budget.

JackieHealyRaeBILLYHIGGINS.jpg

The Government will announce its spending plans for the next four years this afternoon ahead of next month's Budget for 2011.

The Kerry South TD has told Radio Kerry however that he wants a guarantee that a new hospital in Kenmare will go ahead, among other demands.

"There are several things that I expect them to do for me, and that’s including the Tralee Bypass," he said.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/healy-rae-demands-hospital-and-bypass-for-supporting-budget-480421.html#ixzz14WHMNGbM

link

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

tech2 wrote: »
    Well Well Well. Jackie Healy Rae is not giving support for the budget unless he gets his wishlist first :rolleyes: I do support getting the Tralee bypass built but putting your local parish pump before the national interest is not on :mad:

link

While I agree to a certain extent that yes he shouldn't be putting these or any local issues above the national interest ...
    this man knows how to govern. He knows how to secure what he wants secured and doesn't hold back. I don't see him changing now at this stage in his life, plus he also has to build up support and momentum for Michael who was recently ratified as a running candidate in his own place for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Jackie Healy-Reacaisleach is a gombeen, and symbolises all that is wrong with the country. He only gets away with it because of the situation he and the government are in.

Imagine if every other td resorted to the same tactics ? the only schools/hospitals/road that would be built in this country would be in the towns village where a TD was from !

[EMAIL="http://www.brightidea.ie/jackiehealyrae/images/serious.jpg"]http://www.brightidea.ie/jackiehealyrae/images/serious.jpg[/EMAIL]

kerry4sam wrote: »
    While I agree to a certain extent that yes he shouldn't be putting these or any local issues above the national interest ...
    this man knows how to govern. He knows how to secure what he wants secured and doesn't hold back. I don't see him changing now at this stage in his life, plus he also has to build up support and momentum for Michael who was recently ratified as a running candidate in his own place for the next election.

While i would like to see the Tralee Bypass all done and dusted,i have to agree with MOB, he typefies the bogman gombeen Kerryman, which is the kind of thing that we dont really want to be associated with anymore.
    You only have to watch this video

This is the sort of stuff Pat Shortt gets his material from.

30 Nov 2010Work on Tralee Bypass not to start till mid 2011

The tender process for the Tralee bypass has been suspended temporarily. Kerry County Council says the archeological survey has revealed some issues that need further examination and it has decided to suspend the tender process until this is complete.

The tenders should reopen in January and expect to be completed in February. The council estimates that it will be mid 2011 by the time a contractor is in place and work can get underway. Last week the Department of Transport confirmed that the project would go ahead next year despite cutbacks contained in the Governments 4 year plan

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder what the new government's going to decide?

This project has already been granted government approval to proceed to construction in 2011.
    It is one of the few projects granted permission.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wonder what the new government's going to decide?

• Advertisement

This project has already been granted government approval to proceed to construction in 2011.
    It is one of the few projects granted permission.
    Indeed, but i read somthing in the paper about some hold up due to some archaeological issues somewhere along its route? Anyone know anymore?

The tendering process has been delayed but it is expected to start in the Summer. Surprised this is actually going ahead. Anyone think this road will actually make a difference to the traffic going into Tralee? The Abbeyfeale-Adare rd would be more beneficial.

The tendering process has been delayed but it is expected to start in the Summer. Surprised this is actually going ahead. Anyone think this road will actually make a difference to the traffic going into Tralee? The Abbeyfeale-Adare rd would be more beneficial.
    Its hard to say, Castleisland is pretty jammed up still sometimes and its also impossible to get a parking space on Main St during the day.

I guess the Tralee bypass will alliviate the traffic holdups over by Manor, but weather it will do anything for the centre of town remains to be seen.

It will make my drive to Castleisland a few mins shorter every day, that would be about it.

I would imagine that the purpose of this project is relieve the traffic pressure on the clash road and also on the listowel road / railway station junction.
    Both of these are real bottlenecks during the day.
    However, as you rightly point out, Adare bypass; Abbeyfeale to NCW & Ballyvourney - Cork projects should have a higher priority.

On the other hand, I'm wondering about that large construction project at John Mitchells GAA field. I think that this cannot go ahead untill the bypass is in place. So maybe it's about getting the bypass done, to create jobs in the other construction project?

The preliminary design report is actually a very intestering read if anyone of you have not seen it already. It gives some great detail into the construction of the overbridges and the underpasses and gives reasons why it should not go over the road.

For instance on one page it refers to the Ballyseedy road that it would be ideal if the road went under the N22 Tralee Access road instead due to:
    • Several watercourses in the immediate vicinity which would lead to drainage issues
    • Liebherr Cranes use the N22 Tralee-Killarney road meaning a higher headroom
    • The existing stone arch bridge on the local rd is identied as a cultural heritage site
    • Use of overbridges on single carriageways is not encouraged
    • Embankments would require quite a large amount of matieral due to the headroom

I'm amazed at the amount of detail listed on the report which refers to the junctions on the bypass itself. There will be 5 roundabouts with one compact grade seperated junction. In this case it will be a Left in only juntion at Clash to prevent queues on the mainline running up to the roundabout at peak times.

Two local roads will cross over the bypass: L2020 and L6510

The other threee structures will be underpasses or underbridges which cross over the River Lee, Tralee-Mallow railway line and L6547.

Another little point I find is on type 2 dual carriageways is that if a road approaching it is under 1,000 AADT then a junction is not required. The resulting low AADT road would go under or over the mainline. Usually for the local road over 1,000 AADT it would be a T junction on 2+2 or Left in-Left out used.

Would anyone have a detailed map of the Left-In only junction? It would be just a slip road before approaching the roundabout junction for Clash. Oh and the preliminary report is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I think wor jackie is looking for the bypass to secure the proposed 4000(?) jobs in pharma and chemical industries proposed for tralee. If there is no dual carrigeway apparently it is more difficult to get industries to locate in an area. And god knows north kerry needs some bloody investment. Its been on the hind tit now for over a decade:mad:

The archaeology is finished now and it's been to tender, does anyone know who got the job? I don't think it was BAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Has there been any progress or news of potential progress?

The NRA page on this project (link: http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KerryCountyCouncil/N22TraleeBypass/SchemeName,16496,en.html) states:
    Estimated Completion Date: April 2011

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dmeehan wrote: »
    The NRA page on this project (link: http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KerryCountyCouncil/N22TraleeBypass/SchemeName,16496,en.html) states:
    Estimated Completion Date: April 2011

lol

The same completion date for the Listowel by-pass - double-lol :pac:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KerryCountyCouncil/N69ListowelBypass/SchemeName,16499,en.html

Advertisement