Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do landlords in Ireland have it as tough as they think?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Have a look at the Funny Houses/Flats to rent thread and see if that doesn't answer your questions...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    It's easy to be an expert in hindsight. For those who bought before the bubble, there was no real warning that the world economy would collapse in 2007. And with house prices rising there was a real feeling of missing the boat if you didn't get a property.

There were plenty of warnings. Morgan Kelly for example. People were just blinded by that fact there was easy credit available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/Top-Stories/ireland/niall-muldoon/

Complaining about landlords gorging. Doctors have been gorging on the sick for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

We have one rental property. Never really intended being a Landlord, it’s a former PPR that was way under water when we moved out, selling at the time would have crystallised a big loss meaning we simply couldn’t have moved to a place big enough for our family had we sold. While we never intended being landlords, we still made an informed choice based on the circumstances we were in so I don’t think accidental landlord is the correct term, I’d reserve that for someone who had to move for work or had to let one property and rent another themselves.

The rent we charge is below market value and being in an RPZ will continue to be, however it’s still pretty close to breakeven on a cashflow basis even after tax, so I won’t play the poor mouth but every landlords circumstances will be different. When the capital element of the mortgage payment is taken into account, selling it right now would not make sense on a purely numbers basis, obviously if you would have some money left over from the sale and had a specific need for that, it would be a different story. Having never intended being a Landlord, selling up was however a very real consideration when our long term tenants gave notice earlier in the year, again we took stock of our situation and decided to let again.

Going through the process of finding tenants in the midst of this crisis was eye opening. Taking prospective tenants at their word and accepting their current landlords reason for serving notice to terminate the tenancy, there is an exodus happening in the sector. There are a lot of desperate people looking for places right now, right across the spectrum of professions and demographics. Lots of enquiries from people on HAP, interestingly almost every single one was in employment which in itself should blow apart some stereotypes. Based on the figures they are disclosing as their approved HAP amounts, this number should not be the problem either, we’re dealing with a total lack of supply and the only thing that will fix it is an increase in construction of both social housing and private rented housing. I would 100% agree that when location comes into it, priority should be given to those working in an area over people who’ve never worked looking for a place beside their ma, but as I’ve stated above most enquiries from people on HAP were from people in employment, often many years in the same job.

Back to the exodus from the private rental sector, if these landlords are all intending selling up, the crisis will get much worse before it gets better. From my own purely selfish motives, I see that if I accept what I am being told by prospective tenants, that selling now would be stupid as moving with the herd and selling when everybody else is selling will rarely prove to be the best option. Obviously as the property is in an RPZ, the upside on rent is limited but there still remains the opportunity to cherry pick the best tenants. This is a landlords strongest card in mitigating the biggest risk in their business, a non-paying tenant. It’s little things like this that keep you viable. Last time round I was prepared to negotiate on rent for the right tenants, it left me in the situation of being tied to below market rate rent now but for the time they were there, I never once had to wonder if the rent would be paid, it was always paid and on time, I don't have any regrets.

I think that the current trend of open viewings don’t lend themselves to getting a good feeling for prospective tenants, I didn’t show many people the property but I spent a bit of time talking to each of them. In reality I think that all of them would make good tenants, most tenants are good tenants and most landlords are good landlords, but there’ll always be some little things that mark one set of tenants above the others if you take the time to talk to them.

There are things I think would improve the sector for everybody. RTB cases need to be resolved within 6 weeks, this should help both tenants and landlords, nobody needs uncertainty hanging over them. Where an RTB decision declares a valid termination has been issued, there should be a fully enforceable order to vacate within 4 subsequent weeks. To balance this, terminating a lease to sell should be a one time only thing, sure there are instances where properties are genuinely put on the market but the sale falls through, the same landlord should never have the opportunity to use this declaration on the same property again, too much spoofing going on. Family member moving in should be subject to random checks.

The market rent thing has become a joke, you simply cannot openly advertise a property that is significantly below market rent which in turn taints the perception of what market rent should be because what you're really seeing is a segment at the upper end of the market, with below market rent properties being let through word of mouth or where they advertised, the real rent is not being advertised. If all new tenancies were allowed set the rent independent of the previous tenancy, it might bring more properties onto the open market and possibly but there is still an overall shortage. It's time to ditch the link to previous rent and the market rent bits when setting rents for new tenancies, the data exists through RTB registrations and the mandatory BER along with Eircodes to benchmark current rents on a €/SqM basis by areas and regions. Use a median value for an area either as your control point for future tenancies or else if you're going to use the tax code to try and get a hold on rents, use the actual rent v's the median rent for the area as a means to offer tax relief or increased taxed to reign in the higher end, the RPZ system actually locked in the chancers and pisstakers at the top end of the market and penalised the folks who saw fit to not increase the rent on a sitting tenant.

Anyway, I'm waffling a bit now, these are just some recent insights, feel free to agree, disagree, counter the points made.

nothing to respond to, a very interesting post tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

They're not presumptions, my opinion is based on years of renting.

If you are/were a decent landlord then fine, I respect that. Not every Landlord I've had has been dodge, but the vast majority were. There's no point in me saying otherwise just because the few decent landlords on here will get upset like you have.

There are decent landlords and decent, like myself, tenants. There are those tenants then who couldn't give a toss about the place their staying in and will wreck the place and be a nuisance for their housemates. I've any amount of college/work and even previous landlord references.

No landlord is really on the breadline. None of the ones I've met in my time anyways. One landlord on here mentioned he has two properties, that's two more than most people and that's fair enough.

But please spare me this craic about landlords somehow letting for the good of it; it's a business, pure and simple.

Well actually you are being presumptuous in assuming all landlords are typified by your experience.

And yes, no landlord (or certainly none I know) are letting and setting properties out of altruism. Some (myself included) do it because it offers a reasonable rate of return.....a good chunk, however, are not landlords out of choice but out of necessity and would likely dispose of the property their letting if they could do so in a way that leaves them debt/liability free.

Anyway, if you think it is easy of handy money head off into the bank tomorrow with 3/4 properties you want to buy and see how far you get when you put you business plan to them - you should have no problem getting funded 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Well actually you are being presumptuous in assuming all landlords are typified by your experience.

And yes, no landlord (or certainly none I know) are letting and setting properties out of altruism. Some (myself included) do it because it offers a reasonable rate of return.....a good chunk, however, are not landlords out of choice but out of necessity and would likely dispose of the property their letting if they could do so in a way that leaves them debt/liability free.

Anyway, if you think it is easy of handy money head off into the bank tomorrow with 3/4 properties you want to buy and see how far you get when you put you business plan to them - you should have no problem getting funded 😉

I never said all landlords are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I do want to add one more thing... There are some absolute scumbags out there looking to profit on the back of the current crisis while contributing almost nothing except a brass neck. I had third parties, who should be fully aware of the relevant legislation, contact me and suggest they can get me much more than the advertised rent despite the obvious location in an RPZ, one on the basis of renting the entire property and subletting it room by room, I had images of battery chickens in my head, and another claiming to have screened and vetted professionals on their books having rented another property in the same development at a much higher price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Keyzer wrote: »
    Although I understand where your coming from, making it impossible to get your property back if you are renting it out is a ridiculous suggestion.

I'll tell you what's ridiculous: Being legally allowed to kick someone out of their home when they've been paying their rent on time and haven't done anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'll tell you what's ridiculous: Being legally allowed to kick someone out of their home when they've been paying their rent on time and haven't done anything wrong.
    Renting is in accordance with the lease and the tenancy can only be terminated in accordance with the law.
    Dems the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I don't foresee a time when there is no difference between owning a house and not owning a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I pray to God that you suffer the financial harm that some tenants have inflicted on landlords.

That would come back on you, that illwishing ..

psinno wrote: »
    I don't foresee a time when there is no difference between owning a house and not owning a house.

What, like in Germany, where security of tenure is guaranteed, as long as you abide by the tenancy agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What, like in Germany, where security of tenure is guaranteed, as long as you abide by the tenancy agreement?

The landlords here maybe think they are letting out a hotel? Not a home. this thread reminds me of the day I saw the absentee landlord striding up the drive with a letter in his hand.. YOU know... still half the lease left.... trouble... My dogs took exception to him... that got interesting

A rental is not a hotel or a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I don't think generally people really understand that landlords don't profit a huge amount from a single house tenancy and then have to balance the risk vs reward , one bad tenant + rent arrears , damages and legal costs could well put you off ever doing it again and you have pretty much no legal backing in any sort of speedy manner, one bad tenant and there profits for that year could be in minus.

People spout high rents etc etc , yes and higher rental income = higher tax outgoings.

Example

Rental Income - €2,000 per month
    Tax on income (Higher Rate) - €1040
    Mortgage Payment - €700

Profit = €260

Trust me , €260 a month isn't a lot for the hassle that comes with being a landlord. Yes certain repairs can be written off as well as other deductions end of year but it isn't the goldmine people assume it to be unless you are already rich and rent a large number of properties and thus can afford the odd loss.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    As a rule of thumb, the rent has to be double the mortgage repayment to cover the mortgage after tax. If it doesn't the landlord has to cover the shortfall. Looking at property prices in Dublin it's very difficult to actually make this happen if you have a job, so people are less inclined to be landlords. Less landlords = less properties to rent = higher rents. It all comes down to supply and demand.

Ironically if profit on the rental was taxed, as it is in business, and not turnover, it would increase the supply and rents would actually fall.
    Floppybits wrote: »
    I would argue that your profit is even less than that when you take into account insurance, Management fees (if you have them), sinking fund for repairs and replacements. After those are paid you wont be even seeing much change out of your €260 profit.
    grahambo wrote: »
    Good Post

Bit in Bold got me too, seem very low.
    My Mortgage is €1751 per month, I'd need to be renting for near €3k a month to balance out.

EDIT: I think you're numbers are wrong (903/40)*100 = 2257.5 ?

You still have to live somewhere.
    Post above show not a huge amount of profit to be made.
    You cannot put a price on Hassle.
    Hassle = Least desirable thing.
    Floppybits wrote: »
    I would disagree with that. A few Landlords are probably creaming it but most I would say are charging rents to cover the costs of property. I have a property and I haven't put the rent up and I wont as what I am getting is covering the costs and that is all I care about.
    Conflating short term month to month nett cash flow with profit is one of the reasons the small / non professional landlord can feel they have it tough.

Expecting month to month rental income to more than cover the repayments on a property is not a realistic business plan. The landlord is acquiring increasing equity in an ä appreciating asset (over the long term to allow for market fluctuations). To expect not to have to contribute on an ongoing basis to their increasing equity in that asset during the lifetime of the mortgage is unrealistic.

Property letting needs to be viewed as a long term investment. The early years need a nett cash input (including the initial deposit and an ongoing top up of the mortgage payment).

At some point, inflation / rising rents and increasing equity in the property, will result in a neutral and then positive cash flow. The property can then generate a nett monthly income.

Once the mortgage has been largely repaid or if someone has inherited a property free of any financial encumbrances then the rent received can provide a reasonable nett monthly income. Expecting rental income to do this from day one is not a sustainable or a realistic business plan.

The budget has upped mortgage interest relief for landlords from 80% to 100%. Expecting nett rental cash flow to cover or more than cover the monthly repayments is essentially expecting the taxpayer and tenant to fund the landlord's acquisition of a valuable asset for less than 20% of its value. Yet some people cannot see the hypocrisy in complaining about social housing tenants being allowed to partially offset rent paid against the purchase price of their home.

Like any business, property is a risk, risk and reward often go hand in hand and and the risk / reward benefit needs to be carefully considered. The small / non-professional landlord can be financially ruined by a bad tenant as they don't have the resources to spread their risk in the same way large property companies do.

Some small time property investors may have gone in with their eyes closed, were poorly advised or mis-sold on property investment as a near risk free sure thing. Some of those have been hit hard and you can't but empathise with their situation. Others, aware of the long term nature of their investment, I think are cynically using the plight of some of the small time landlords to try influence policy and further increase the returns on their long term investment, on which they pay very little tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't think generally people really understand that landlords don't profit a huge amount from a single house tenancy and then have to balance the risk vs reward , one bad tenant + rent arrears , damages and legal costs could well put you off ever doing it again and you have pretty much no legal backing in any sort of speedy manner, one bad tenant and there profits for that year could be in minus.

People spout high rents etc etc , yes and higher rental income = higher tax outgoings.

Example

Mortgage Payment - €700

Profit = €260

Trust me , €260 a month isn't a lot for the hassle that comes with being a landlord. Yes certain repairs can be written off as well as other deductions end of year but it isn't the goldmine people assume it to be unless you are already rich and rent a large number of properties and thus can afford the odd loss.

Please note that the calculations here are wrong.

Capital repayments on a mortgage are not a cost/expense.

They are a form of saving.

The interest payment is a cost.

You do not pay income tax on the gross rental income.

Many people confuse cashflow with profits/losses.

Many landlords are making large rental profits, but are cashflow negative after making capital repayments.

Some landlords seem to assume that the gross rent should cover the interest and capital repayments.

Rent should cover the cost of occupation, not the cost of ownership.

I think that would be the ideal.......BUT for that to happen you need to fundamentally change the sector in Ireland and encourage big players into the market who will own/rent thousands of properties (as is the case in Germany) and anytime a firm displays an interesting in doing that they're immediately labelled as vulture funds.

We should be welcoming that kind of investment. Those companies are in it for the long haul and don't use spurious reasons to end tenancies. They can also well afford to carry the hassle of the odd bad tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Example

Mortgage Payment - €700

Profit = €260

Let's assume that of the 700 mortgage payment, 500 is allowable interest. That's fairly high, but we will be generous.

This landlord is then making 1500 rental profits per month before other expenses.

Let's allow 100-200 pm for other expenses.

So they earn 1350 net rental profits.

On this figure they will pay tax at their marginal rate.

This is a discussion of Ireland not Germany. Even says so in the subject.

But yes even in Germany when you can end a lease because you need to use the property yourself or "kick someone out of their home when they've been paying their rent on time and haven't done anything wrong" if you prefer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

But yes even in Germany when you can end a lease because you need to use the property yourself or "kick someone out of their home when they've been paying their rent on time and haven't done anything wrong" if you prefer.

Not necessarily. My dear father tried that with one of his tenants, whose only fault was not backing down in a fight my brother had started.
    My father tried to get the man out of the apartment claiming he needed it for his other son, who had finished university and now needed a place to stay in his home town.

The court ruled that it had been foreseeable that my brother would finish university and might need a place to stay, therefore other arrangements could have been made. The tenant got to stay.

There is this saying out there that the reason social policies can't get you elected in the US is that everybody there feels they really are a millionaire, just with temporary cashflow problems.
    I think the reason it's impossible to introduce sensible rental laws in Ireland is that everyone here thinks of themselves as landlords who just haven't got round to buying the properties yet.

• Advertisement

Why would offering security of tenure to well-behaving tenants not be feasible in Ireland, when it is in Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Roddy Doyle eat your heart out...

My last tenants point of view cost me 17000.

I often wonder how this happens. I know it does, so not questioning that, but people need to be a little better at assessing who they are letting property too...

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Fabio wrote: »
    I often wonder how this happens. I know it does, so not questioning that, but people need to be a little better at assessing who they are letting property too...

I thought victim-blaming wasn't allowed on boards?

Why would offering security of tenure to well-behaving tenants not be feasible in Ireland, when it is in Germany?

I didn't say it wasn't feasible or possible just that I don't foresee it. Not that even Germany does what was being asked for.
    40 years of having a fairly flat population probably does make some things easier but if people really wanted to clone the German housing market I'm sure they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Fabio wrote: »

If people could tell the future they'd just buy one lotto ticket.

Unfortunately you can't always judge a book by the cover. I've heard of seemingly respectable professionals leaving with thousands of euro in arrears and damage to property they were renting.

A landlord can try to shorten the odds of being left high and dry but the only things certain in life are death and taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

wowy wrote: »
    I thought victim-blaming wasn't allowed on boards?
    Why on earth would you believe that?

Shenshen wrote: »
    I think the reason it's impossible to introduce sensible rental laws in Ireland is that everyone here thinks of themselves as landlords who just haven't got round to buying the properties yet.

I think there are 170 thousand landlords in Ireland. It's a fairly sizeable voting block once you add in spouses. Maybe 10% of the electorate. Even before getting into people thinking of themselves as landlords of the future.

Because German institutional landlords are more than happy with a long run return of about 5% and consequently they are not interested in, nor do they drive, market volatility.

In contrast, if, like in Ireland, you're a landlord with one or very few properties there is a significant incentive/temptation to either sell (taking the property out of the rental pool) or turf a tenant to get someone else in on a higher rent.

Furthermore, you're right - a good well behaved tenant should have pretty much an unfettered tenancy, but on the flip side it needs to be easier and quicker to get rid of bad tenants and recover unpaid rent and the cost of repairs from them.

When it went bad for us it cost us about €20k in fees and repair bills......plus the rent foregone.......then we had a series of solicitors' letters from the former tenant because of our refusal to give them a reference (in which they claimed the damage was not their fault......it was their sub-tenants!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The problem with social housing is that the discount against the market rent is waaaaaaaay too generous and the amount of tenants not paying is too high..

The alternative is wasting taxpayers money on exorbitant rents on the private sector or hotels.

The need for subsidised housing is never going to go away so it might as well be as cost-effective as possible.

The irony with the typical Irish government /local authority love for outsourcing infrastructure and other state needs to the private sector is that it always actually often ends up costing the taxpayer more in the long run.

• Advertisement

The alternative is wasting taxpayers money on exorbitant rents on the private sector or hotels.

The need for subsidised housing is never going to go away so it might as well be as cost-effective as possible.

The irony with the typical Irish government /local authority love for outsourcing infrastructure and other state needs to the private sector is that it always actually often ends up costing the taxpayer more in the long run.

No, the alternative is properly manage the construction of a diverse stock of social housing and then manage it as a public asset.

By this I mean provide state or publicly owned land and procure housing/accommodation on a fixed price contract on that land......let the accommodation on the basis of need (not politics).....and charge socially equitable rents.

On top of that.......no forever homes. People have their needs and capacity to pay routinely reviewed and adjusted accordingly. If you don't pay the rent then out you go......likewise if your circumstances change and you need larger or smaller accommodation it should be provided.

Then don't sell the stock off. And don't allow it to be inherited.....it's there to be used to meet a social need, not to reward anyone.

If it was me, I'd take politics out of the whole sorry mess and properly fund and empower housing associations, and also include resident-management requirements in any development or community.

Advertisement