Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TechnoFreek's Atomiswave Journey Part 2

Options
  • 07-10-2018 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Many moons ago, I posted a thread documenting the top to bottom restoration of my Atomiswave SD arcade cabinet.

Since then, I've been playing it (not as much as I would like!) but also collecting * bits of hardware and artwork etc to accompany it.

I thought folks on here might be interested to see what I got.

Part 1 of the journey here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92906211

* An alcoholic once told me "women hoard, men collect".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

First up, is the hardware.

My main piece of kit is a pc running Hyperspin and Groovymame. Groovymame is a must if you're connectig to a crt and offers silky smooth scrolling. You can see this at the end of the below video on the mk2 battle ladder.

The pc is in afractal case with a really quiet scythe cpu fan. the gfx is a radeon 4890 which was the max spec card groovymame supported at the time.

Also in there is the obligatory jpac and a sound amp to gte stereo from the pc in to the cab speakers.

Quick video below for anyone interested. Shaky cam ahead!

Next is the latest addition, just arrived this week. Atomiswave mobo and a few genuine games.

Don't really plan on investing much more in this system but they were too cheap to turn down

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

Next is the Naomi 1 with 256mb netdimm running with a pi3 hooked up to it running NaomiPi. This is real elegant solution that lets you put all the Naomi games on an sd card in the pi and select trough your mobile browser.
    It also plays Atomiswave game dumps too!

If you can stretch to a Naomi 2 and 512mb net dimm, you can play the entire Naomi library

IMAG0067.jpg

Not going to be everyon'e cup of tea but I spent a lot of time playing Moartal Kombat in the arcades and on home console back in the day. So I have the MK1, MK2 and UMK3 boards respectively.

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

Last but by no means least, an MVS running a 161 in one cart.

This is a top class system and a quick and easy way to get a lot of (mostly) quality games up and running in your cab.
    A must have although mame does a quality job emualting the Neo Geo if you're so inclined.

IMAG0084.jpg

• Advertisement

Here's a little curio for you. An Atomiswave branded router for the ill fated AW-Net system.

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

Another interesting item. Joysticks with balltops shaped like American footballs. These will designed to accompany the Atomiswave game Dirty Pigskin Football that was released in the US. The Atomiswave cabs over there are a different shape, upright. This joysticks are obnoxiously large and a curio only. Yuck!

IMAG0077.jpg

Who doesn't like cardboard boxes, especially if one of them is empty!

The first few pics relate to an Atomiswave horse racing game. The artwork is printed in to metal. I think there was a bespoke cabinet for this game in Japan that wasn't the Atomiswave SD.

The smaller box is for the Rumle Fish 2 cart. Lucky it is empty. You'd have to remortgage the house to afford one of those!

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

Atomiswave game artwork. A pretty decent collection I have here. Condition of these is ok. Nothing minty, all have seen action.

The odd cart and manual included as well!

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

Some Atomiswave manuals, mostly hardware related and other tat!

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

• Advertisement

IC cards next. These were used in the card reader in the one player panel over the Aw-net system. Only a few games supported it. Cards mostly stored high score I think and unlocked some characters.

Any Atomiswave, including my own is missing the cable from the card reader that connects to who knows what! That's a part of the undocumented Atomiswave puzzle I could never figure out.

First ones up are for Neo Geo Battle Colisuem. Only four cards that I've ever seen and here they are!

IMAG0114.jpg

Guilty Gear Isuka cards. Think this might be a complete set. I've never seen any others and there is one per character from the character select screen. Notice how some of the cards pair up and the background spans both.

IMAG0115.jpg

Last lot of cards. King of Fighters Neowave.
    There is also a cool official wallet to store them in.

This collection is defo not complete, I have seen others. I'd say I'm close to a complete set though.

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

A bonus.
    Some IC card related images. They're not cards themselves but I think came with a card when purchased. Includes instructions for use.

The top right card might actually be telephone credit.

IMAG0122.jpg

Change of pace now. Some Naomi manuals and artwork for games I like on the system.
    The artwork for the first three games is minty as f***. Not a mark. The last one, not so much!

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

Because everyone has to have some Street Fighter in their lives. Love these two iterations.

IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

Time for some Namco love. Played a serious amount of Tekken 2 back in the day

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

A last post of some random genuine game artwork

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

High quality repro instructions strips

IMAG0113.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Looks great.

Is your monitor a trisync 15-31Khz type or 15Khz only? I have trouble with getting a 15khz only compatible frontend for groovymame/emudriver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks Technofreek BTW, I've ordered that AWSD part and it's winging it's way from France as we speak.
    Hopefully this will mean two extraordinary things.
    1. That I will finally have the 2P panel installed and working
    2. That I can play Robotron for the rest of my life, excluding all others.

Looks great.

Is your monitor a trisync 15-31Khz type or 15Khz only? I have trouble with getting a 15khz only compatible frontend for groovymame/emudriver.

Yeah,its trisync. I just leave it at 31k and use scanlines on groovymame.

I did try windows and Hyperspin at 31k and then groovymame switch to 15k but all the flicking resolutions isn't good for the monitor chassis, especially a poor one like the Wei Ya

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thanks Technofreek BTW, I've ordered that AWSD part and it's winging it's way from France as we speak.
    Hopefully this will mean two extraordinary things.
    1. That I will finally have the 2P panel installed and working
    2. That I can play Robotron for the rest of my life, excluding all others.

Great. Just to note, depending on the system, the max number of buttons that the jamma edge connector will pick up is five. So while the cable you get hooks up all 6 at the control panel side, you'll need to locate another connect near the jamma edge to pick up button 6. That goes for both player 1 and 2. Limitation of the jamma system as opposed to that cable you've bought

Let's cross that bridge when you come to it.

What system are you running in the cab?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Great. Just to note, depending on the system, the max number of buttons that the jamma edge connector will pick up is five. So while the cable you get hooks up all 6 at the control panel side, you'll need to locate another connect near the jamma edge to pick up button 6. That goes for both player 1 and 2. Limitation of the jamma system as opposed to that cable you've bought

Let's cross that bridge when you come to it.

What system are you running in the cab?

Oh, the thing is running on a RPi3, with a China made PS3 controller clone thingy taking the input from the buttons via the Jamma loom. It sounds more complicated than it sounds!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh, the thing is running on a RPi3, with a China made PS3 controller clone thingy taking the input from the buttons via the Jamma loom. It sounds more complicated than it sounds!

Would love to see some pics please if you had time to share a few. Thanks

Advertisement