Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix on Apple TV / iOS

• 11-10-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hey guys. Anyone know of a way to get Netflix to work in Ireland? My AppleTV came last Friday and I can't seem to find anyone this side of the states interested in Netflix. I can't be the only one, can I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭jamesd

I use netflix on my iPad with strong VPN, have a look online at connecting an apple tv via a dd wrt router to strongvpn for running netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Thanks, man. Was just looking there. I'm too impatient to see if Netflix on my iPad would airplay to the appleTV next month.

Tried to stream a movie from iPad to apple tv last night and it failed as it was a movie that was rented from iTunes US, might need to try logging into the apple tv with US account and re try.
    Have the ipad on 4.2 beta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Hi Pedro

Can you tell us your general impressions of Apple TV? Are any streaming services available here? I assume you can rent from iTunes? What kind of range is there available in the Irish store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

hmm, I also have some problem.
    Can you output to your tv with this app? I've heard you can do that with the iPad version. Anyone actually tried this?
    It is lame that you can't manage your dvd queu. I have a free app (Movieflick I think or something like that) that lets you manage both queues so I don't see how it can be that difficult. Not a deal breaker by any stretch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Netflix just launched here for €6.99/month, does that mean it'll work now on the Apple tv without a VPN?

Gx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Griffinx wrote: »
    Netflix just launched here for €6.99/month, does that mean it'll work now on the Apple tv without a VPN?

Gx

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

only uk content i presume

if you keep using the vpn can you access the american content?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I managed to register for the 1 month free trial. I then tried to play a movie on my Mac. I started to load up, but then I got a message saying "Netflix unavailable". Tried the saming thing using the ATV, but when I clicked on the Netflix option, I got the same error. Nothing wrong with my internet connection - other devices are all working fine.

Also, How does the movie selection on Netflix compare with what's on iTunes? I'm curious as to why Apple (given their normal way of doing business) would allow customer to access Netflix via an ATV. If Netflix subscription is only €6.99/mth for unlimited movies... but iTunes charge €3.99 for renting just one movie, then surely Netflix is a better option & Apple will lose their movie rental business to Netflix. Am I missing something?

I use iTunes a lot to buy movies for the kids. They watch them over & over so it make more sense to buy them. We prob buy on average 2-3 Disney/Pixar type movies a month costing €13.99ea. If I can really just pay €6.99 for Netflix, then I might not need to buy any more kids movies since they can (in theory) watch whatever they want / whenever they want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

We've been discussing is over in Films. The selection is crap. No new releases, no big studio releases. This is supposed to change soon, but I'm not impressed that they decided to launch here with so much content missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

We've been discussing is over in Films. The selection is crap. No new releases, no big studio releases. This is supposed to change soon, but I'm not impressed that they decided to launch here with so much content missing.

Yeah. I know there's a month free but I'm gonna wait until they put some decent stuff on it before I sign up. Chitty chitty bang bang is one of the films listed on the scifi page for god's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Yeah. I know there's a month free but I'm gonna wait until they put some decent stuff on it before I sign up. Chitty chitty bang bang is one of the films listed on the scifi page for god's sake!

:D

I'm adopting a wait and see approach. Saw Breaking Bad on the home page but couldn't find it when I was browsing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Saving the month trial is a good idea. The only film content on there at the moment is from Lionsgate, Miramax and MGM. There's a lot of good films, but you wouldn't be long working though them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

7 euro, that's nearly as much as 1 new release rental from Xtravision (well it's 2 euro more).

i'm sold, the selection isn't great at the moment but there's about 2 months worth of content there for me so i'm going to stick with it until then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Signed up and the app works on ipad1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Signed up this morning. I'm sure I'll find something to watch later.

I don't see the point in waiting. Sure you know what the content will include eventually and you'll know now if it's for you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

One month free trial!
    Saw this post on the subject in BA but I can't seem to quote it. It might be handy for those on 3G or with limited bandwidth via wifi.

You can choose to force a low quality stream on all your devices. After signing up, go to Your Account & Help on Netflix.com (Top Right). Click, then look under Manage Account for Manage video quality. The following options are available there:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
    Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
    Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

This will then force the lower quality stream, even if your connection can handel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Signed up for free trial & just had a browse through the available content. Pretty poor selection - most movies are at least 2-3 years old and have already been shown on telly. The TV series are even worse - Men Behaving Badly from the early 90's? I don't think so.

The pc/mac web GUI isn't very user friendly either - iTunes is much better for searching etc. At least on the ATV, the Netflix GUI is the same as for iTunes, so it's easier to navigate. I watched 5 mins of a HD movie & the picture quality & sound seem to be at least as good as iTunes (I'm on UPC 30Mb).

Shame the content is so out of date, otherwise this could be great value. I wonder when they'll start to introduce up to date stuff?... right after my one month trial ends no doubt.

Xtravision's days must really be numbered at this stage. Pity they never got their act together with an online streaming service.

Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

anyone getting a message saying that netflix is currently unavailable on their atv2???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Hardgas

@Izy Ya same problem, any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Are people still getting the not available message on ATV 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

No sign of netflix on my JB ATV2 thinks its running 4.3.3, does netflix come in a software update or how might I go about getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Tonio

Glebee wrote: »
    Are people still getting the not available message on ATV 2.

Same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MarkoF

Got it working by restarting apple tv (unplug, wait 10 seconds and plug back in).
    Then sign in.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

plugging out indeed made the trick...

working a treat on all platforms... ps3, iPad, iPhone, macbook pro and atv2 now...

selection limited, hopefully will improve soon

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

MarkoF wrote: »
    Got it working by restarting apple tv (unplug, wait 10 seconds and plug back in).
    Then sign in.

All the best.

Fair play Home Boy, that did the trick.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is there anything stopping me having a few months of the free trial, if I load it separately on multiple devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hardgas

Worked, thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

MarkoF wrote: »
    Then sign in.

All the best.

Tried this a couple of times and still no joy. :(

Advertisement