Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MAWS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 super70

Engoyed your company last sunday keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 super70

must learn to spell "ENJOYED"

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

I wonder if you should warn potential cycling/drinking buddies that you don't always find it necessary to carry out a kit change between these 2 activities.....??? ;)

I'd be happy to head up the international wing of MAWS if you were interested. Why stop at Ireland girls?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MAWS

I wonder if you should warn potential cycling/drinking buddies that you don't always find it necessary to carry out a kit change between these 2 activities.....??? ;)

I'd be happy to head up the international wing of MAWS if you were interested. Why stop at Ireland girls?!

That only happened once, OK possibly twice....but I don't recall any 'Post Cycle Dress Code' memo being circulated, how were we to know?...and anyway I think there was a somewhat odorous smell in that pub BEFORE we went in there!:D

Delighted to have you head up our International wing - just don't come looking to us for funding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Great thread. Looking forward to more reports.

• Advertisement

“Back a Mile”

Wow, who’d have thought MAWS II would mean international jet setting? Well it did. The inconvenience of having a job work commitments meant if MAWS was to join the Burren Cycling Club on its annual weekend away spin from Galway to Clifden Anne had to fly from Waterford to Galway on Friday evening, while Mags had to make it back to Dublin for a Sunday evening flight to Paris. Anyway, as Anne clambered in beside the pilot on Friday evening, Mags was ferrying both bikes on the back of the car via Limerick (thanks for the dinner Tom), to Galway for Saturday morning.

Despite all this, there was a very civilised rendezvous in Iggy Madden’s on Galway’s docks at 10.30, for an 11am start and Burren Cycling Club leader Pat O’Donoghue greeted us, along with the other Burren cyclists – John Brody, John McDonnell, Anthony O’Halloran, Richard Casey, Karen Culligan, Justin Sadlier, Richie Costello, Paddy Fahy, Adam Johnson, Silvie Mullins & Brendan Gallagher (all superbly turned out in matching club kit – they have club shorts, jerseys, t-shirts (long and short sleeved), club jackets and hats – we totally had cycling gear envy).

Despite the warm greeting things didn’t start off so well for MAWS. Mags ran into technical difficulties within minutes of unloading the bikes – one exploding front tyre drew a cheer from the Burren crew, but was quickly sorted by Burren mechanic John – although the vacant look on Mags’ face probably left him with no option if they wanted to leave the car park that day. Mags’ then discovered that her chain was wrapped around her pedal…intervention was again needed and provided….things were not boding well for a two-day cycle!

However, Pat, armed with his trusty whistle, took over quickly and listed out the route – 70 miles – with coffee & lunch stops – impressive! So, with overnight bags (or a ‘trunk’ in Anne’s case) into the support van – thanks Cathy - we hit the coast road for Clifden. Thankfully the sun was shining – despite being called ‘Mags’ and Anne’s Winter Spins’ MAWS has yet to invest in proper winter cycling gear (note to selves – put pressure on Pat for Burren CC jackets)

My, my but that road out of Galway was hairy in places. We thought Dundrum to Enniskerry was busy, but CIE buses were a bit too cosy for our liking at times and the absence of a hard shoulder for much of the early cycle meant it was a tight squeeze. However, we reached Rossaveal for our first coffee stop (despite MAWS leading the charge straight passed it…how were we to know?) in great spirits. Here we picked up two Gort cyclists who joined us for most of the remainder of the cycle. By this stage we’d “Rolled Up” (i.e. up and overe’d) a number of times, so we were familiar with the set up, but it took some time for the two of us to figure out what ‘back a mile’ meant – for those of you not au fait with west of Ireland lingo – it’s ‘steady up’, or quite simply – slow down at the front! Pat was consistent with the whistle though and within 10km we had the whistle blows deciphered and the peloton was poetry in motion for the remainder of the trip.

Following some (intentional) confusion with the conversion from miles to km’s, Pat managed to keep the group momentum going strong all the way to lunch by convincing us (on a number of occasions??) that the lunch stop was just “5 or 6 mile up ahead” … Thankfully the lunch destination, Zetland Hotel finally appeared on the horizon. Whatever about us being hungry the three guys (Donal, Richard and Anthony) who had cycled from Ennis to Galway already that morning – for the laugh by the sounds of it – were seriously in need of sustenance at that point. Thirteen pairs of cycling shoes were abandoned in the Zetland’s lobby as the mob went in search of food. However, due to stringent account handling by Pat, the Burren’s coffers seem to be in exceedingly fine fettle and we were all treated to lunch. The hotel propriorator was incredibly welcoming, and despite not being a cyclist, nor a gardener, he laid on a great spread of soup (with 16 or so different herbs from his own garden), sandwiches and tales!

Luckily the weather remained glorious as we hit the road again - for some bizarre reason though, Pat decided to throw in a ‘long cut’ just after lunch, so an extra 10 miles (of amazing scenery) was added. Brendan Gallagher took it upon himself to point out all local cultural sights, although it tended to be along the lines of a sweeping left arm and shouts of ‘see that on the left there Anne? That’s a mountain/horse/lake.’ He also proved to be quite the singer, bringing up the rear of the peloton with ‘Don’t forget your shovel if you want to go to work’ on more than one occasion. Nonetheless it was distracting from the extra few miles Pat insisted on adding on because ‘we’re going so well’ and, despite MAWS best attempts to lead a revolt on the promise of getting to the bar quicker!

But Pat’s great leadership paid off. We covered the 79 miles to Clifden in super time, with an average speed in excess of over 30km/hour pace, to be greeted by the paparazzi – ok wives with cameras – as we swung into the main street.
    Needless to say Mags and Anne went straight to the pub (yes, in full cycling gear and with our overnight bags/trunk in tow) for four sneaky wines before dinner!
    Over dinner we got to hear tales of Anthony O’Halloran ‘The Lege’ who finished in the top 80 in the Hibernia Etape this year – despite having bought new cleats the day before, which it turned out didn’t fit his pedals (caused us to question his intelligence) and having to fix two punctures along the route, and legend also has it that he climbed Croagh Patrick in the same road bike shoes (second questioning of his intelligence but admirable none the less). We also discovered that Pat’s spinning classes (Tuesday and Thursday nights in Pat’s shed, for anyone who’s interested) are a huge success amongst the cycling crew and locals alike. Be prepared for loud musicand more 'whistle action'! For some strange and alcohol induced reason the club’s December 27th charity event of a 40k cycle and 5k run is expecting a MAWS reappearance…gulp.
    The long established, but newly christened ‘PAWS’ - five men who’ve been cycling since the ‘70’s – three of whom are granddads and one a great granddad - joined the large gathering for dinner that evening. Dinner in Foyles Hotel was a great affair, and thanks again to the club which stood everyone for the wine. Foyles may have the kitch’st bedrooms, but dinner was super. You can’t go wrong with E65 BBD per person, especially when water bottles were filled for us the next morning.

Thankfully, after dinner speeches were short and sweet – although Mags was accused of waffling during hers! Luckily everyone retired to Kings across the road before things got emotional. Despite the great live band in Kings and the trad music back in Foyles we were shattered from the spin and sneaky wines and we were amongst the first to call it a night. Rumour has it Brendan and Paddy Fahy were out till 3am!!! Please note Fahy, Donal and Richie did NOT cycle the next day.

Breakfast saw a motley crew emerge, and John led the charge with kippers and scrambled eggs – Anne’s porridge almost made a reappearance at the point. Talk of the cycle back to Galway was scowled at by many, but one by one peer pressure saw all bar three of the crew wipe the overnight rain off the bikes and head off again…hungover. Unfortunately the MAWS jerseys debut Sunday morning was not done in glorious sunshine, but some light drizzle. However, despite the wet conditions the well-organised crew set a cracking pace and we covered the 50 miles in three hours or so. Unfortunately we took one spill on the way back – Galway County Council please note the poor and slippy road surface that left John’s leg looking like he’d fallen out with a cheese grater.

The weather turned nasty for the last half hour as we got close to Galway, and John’s best efforts on a shortcut through the city meant a slight obstacle course for four unlucky cyclists as we carried bikes over bollards and six-bar gates…ok, not quite, but John it wasn’t a short cut as it took longer!

But we got back to Galway in once piece from an epic two-day spin with the Burren Cycling Club and it was all down to the club being so well organised with Pat at the helm and the support of all the cyclists and their families. Karen, at the risk of divorce, is now an honourary MAWS member and is expected to join us on future spins. Since the club was set up in 2001 Pat & Co. have obviously done a great job, with the Tour de Burren a must in every cyclists’ diary. Discussions are currently taking place for MAWS to officially start the tour next year. Two Burren CC jackets and you’ve a deal Pat!!

Massive thanks to the club and all support crew over the weekend – we’ll see you again on December 27th.

Unfortunately a slight discrepancy seems to have occurred. Mags, who barely made her flight to Paris on Sunday, ran the ‘back a mile’ lingo by a Dundalk man in Departures, who laughed and said they it’s ‘back a while’…clarification needed please!

Saturday
    Galway - Barna - Spiddall – Rossaveal: quick coffee - Carna - Cashel - lunch Zetland Hotel - Roundstone - Ballyconnelley - Clifden
    Total Distance: 140km
    Average Speed: 30km
    Stayed in Foyles Hotel
    Pints outside Kings pub

Sunday
    Clifden - Recess - Mamm cross - small crash - Oughterard - quick coffee - Galway
    Total Distance: 80 km.
    2&1/2 hours:Nice fast ‘head clearing’ spin home
    Petrol: 132.9/l
    Tea: €1.60 Oughterard

P.S. Photos to follow once (if..airport strike) Mags makes it back from Paris with her camera…

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Whats a derailleur?

Got one of last few seats out of Paris tonight....sorry silly striking Paris, but for once I'm glad to be leaving early!!!

Unfortunately I have to share my taxi and flight with a Minister.....unfortunate for him that is!!! I've had a few vinos for lunch and think he'd really like to hear about MAWS and I will be suggesting some sort of state funding for it - think I might be able to sell it as some sort of Discover Ireland Cycling Staycation Marketing Campaign.....

Some pics from before, during and after the Saturday cycle through Galway. Great work on the weather Pat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mags, we ( I mean me ) want to see the MAWs Jersey ...

Only ones we have of the jersey were taken on iphone (as my camera had died) and aren't particularly good quality....will see what I can do being uber non technical....

• Advertisement

Ok, here you go. Terribly blurry...probably just as well as we were not the best the morning after the sneaky wines...

Mags: The morning after....(note requirement for sunglasses indoors)
    Anne: The hangover....(note fake smile)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I heartily endorse this product and/or event.

I can't believe I am so privileged as to be asked to take part in what must be the greatest winter training camp outside of the Mediterranean. I'm going to tweet, facebook and blog about this, I'm literally counting down the minutes until I can get kitted up in a MAWS jersey and have a whistle blown in my ear by some colourful middle aged cyclist.

I would have given my thanks as a show of support, but really the thanks button just isn't big enough so I thought I would voice my support!

Woo!

Please note: Dirk was in no way coerced into making his support known.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

chuck_at_gunpoint.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And there was me thinking of a completely different type of "coersion" ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    And there was me thinking of a completely different type of "coersion" ...:D

ooersion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

If Maws want to make a trip to Waterford give me a shout !

Junior wrote: »

Requirements for a MAWS trip to appear in your area:

1) Cyclists who can fix punctures
    2) Alcohol
    3) "The craic"

That's about it really...

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

2) Alcohol
    3) "The craic"

2+3 are fine, I'll bring me dad to sort out number 1 !

2) Alcohol
    3) "The craic"

Spot on – however if I could just rearrange them in order of priority:
    1) "The craic"
    2) Alcohol
    3) Cyclists who can fix punctures

Note: 1) & 2) are interchangeable

• Advertisement

MAWS wrote: »
    Spot on – however if I could just rearrange them in order of priority:
    1) "The craic"
    2) Alcohol
    3) Cyclists who can fix punctures

Note: 1) & 2) are interchangeable

I presume 1 + 2 are non negotiable and 3 isn't a deal breaker ? I know ye've already done the SKT down in Waterford so maybe a revisit mightn't be on the cards but let us know anyways, If yer feeling frisky I can organize a spin with the Dan Morrissey Group ;)

Thanks Junior, Waterford is on the agenda, so we'll definitely be in touch.
    Also just to note, we do bring full puncture repair kits with us....we usually just hand them straight over upon arrival.

MAWS wrote: »
    Thanks Junior, Waterford is on the agenda, so we'll definitely be in touch.
    Also just to note, we do bring full puncture repair kits with us....we usually just hand them straight over upon arrival.

To anyone? I thought you had standards.

If they hang around with you, this is doubtful.. Ba dum tiss ! :D

If they hang around with you, this is doubtful.. Ba dum tiss ! :D

Hang off, they hang off me.

Well we try pick someone who looks gullible enough like they might know what to do with it...failing that we just throw them up in the air and see who it lands nearest - a fail safe plan!

I presume 1 + 2 are non negotiable and 3 isn't a deal breaker ? I know ye've already done the SKT down in Waterford so maybe a revisit mightn't be on the cards but let us know anyways, If yer feeling frisky I can organize a spin with the Dan Morrissey Group ;)

Ignorance is bliss.....we tend to just arrive and apply a 'sheep like' mentality to it i.e. follow the leader..so if that involves Seskin/Mahon Falls (shudder) then so be it, just don't warn us about it in advance or we'll start crying like girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shutuplegs

Hulo!

When are you guys planning to do the Wexford spin? (still unsure where exactly you guys are planning to explore) Let us know and we can organise the 5* accommodation! ;)

(Ok, so it wont be 5* but I can guarantee a fuss will be made over MAWS!)

shutuplegs wrote: »
    Hulo!

When are you guys planning to do the Wexford spin? (still unsure where exactly you guys are planning to explore) Let us know and we can organise the 5* accommodation! ;)

(Ok, so it wont be 5* but I can guarantee a fuss will be made over MAWS!)

Thanks shutuplegs - invite accepted and will most certainly be taken up!!!

• Advertisement

yer_maws_a_hooer_tshirt-p235992269013114368qn4z_400.jpg

El Tonto, we should totally buy some of these, seeing as we were left out of the maws jersey order.

Advertisement