Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony Xperia 5 ii (Mark two)

• 17-09-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭

Announced this morning. Out in October, Around £800/€950
    5g capable, 3 cameras on the back, 120hz refresh rate, headphone jack, some neat battery care functions (but no wireless :( )
    GSM Arena Specs run down

Word on the street however is that the Pixel 5 is going to be cheaper but might not have as much tech on it.
    I'll wait and see if any network picks it up otherwise I'll be saving up for Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Nice looking phone but big money . What's the price of their flagship the 1 ii . Maybe 100 more or so?

Def worth waiting to see if networks will pick it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Have an Xperia 1 myself and I love it. The only thing that annoys me is the poor fingerprint scanner. I'll probably wait and see what the Xperia 1 iii is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

CptMackey wrote: »
    Nice looking phone but big money . What's the price of their flagship the 1 ii . Maybe 100 more or so?

Def worth waiting to see if networks will pick it up

The 1 ii is €1150 but can be got cheaper from grey import sites. The 5 ii is listed as having €900 launch price. The 1 ii seems to be hard to find from any European retailer at a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

They will probably have a preorder deal with headphones as well

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I was about to pull the trigger on the Realme x50 pro and then I saw this - I'll wait for the first reviews to come out before forking out for either. I wonder what the battery life will be like.

Edit:I just noticed the sony has a headphone jack and (more importantly for me) a micro sd card slot. It really does come down to battery life now.

• Advertisement

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I was about to pull the trigger on the Realme x50 pro and then I saw this - I'll wait for the first reviews to come out before forking out for either. I wonder what the battery life will be like.

Edit:I just noticed the sony has a headphone jack and (more importantly for me) a micro sd card slot. It really does come down to battery life now.

And a RGB notification led. Super rare feature that. Regards battery, I've got the Xperia 1 with a 3300mah battery. Easily getting 6 + hours of SOT. Sony may not have the biggest batteries but they're very well optimised..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Sony 250 dollars more expensive

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pXtwE_f6iOI

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Sony 250 dollars more expensive
    But will have more camera tech, an SD card slot and a better Snapdragon then the Pixel 5.
    As the video says. It's more expensive but it is a slightly higher level phone. It's generally like comparing a Mercedes-Benz A Class to a Ford Focus. You have to ask yourself do you need the extra tech or not.

• Advertisement

If only Google and Sony were working together to make some sort of Pixel/Xperia hybrid. Imagine how well the Xperias would sell if they had Googles marketing power, even at the current prices. (Hey, it always works for Apple) As things stand the Pixel 5 is going to wipe the floor with the Xperias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

flazio wrote: »
    If only Google and Sony were working together to make some sort of Pixel/Xperia hybrid. Imagine how well the Xperias would sell if they had Googles marketing power, even at the current prices. (Hey, it always works for Apple) As things stand the Pixel 5 is going to wipe the floor with the Xperias.

Bring back NEXUS I say.

Actually, come to think of it, didn't HTC make the Nexus for Google so perhaps stay clear of them.

It'll take a few weeks to save up but I think I'm going to take the plunge on this one.

Thought of an experiment I'm going to try with this. I wonder if, although there's a 3.5mm jack on the top, can you still plug headphones into the USB port with a dongle from an earlier phone. It'd be handy for travelling (when that's an acceptable thing to do again) to be able to plug two pairs of headphones into one device.
    Perhaps someone with the 1ii has already tried this?

The headphone claim site mentions Vodafone and eir. Fingers crossed for Vodafone. Would make Christmas shopping a lot easier if I just had to fork out around €300 instead of the €900 I'm trying to save to.

The headphone offer site now lists Carphone Warehouse as another valid purchase vendor although I don't see the phone on either site. Mind you the offer is open until the end of the year and not likely to be as busy as the Pixel 5 offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

This is getting excellent reviews. It's definitely on my radar along with the OP8T. Sony phones usually plummet in price. I'm holding off til Black Friday to compare some deals. Have no use for the headphones, so would probably just sell them on anyway.

rizzee wrote: »
    This is getting excellent reviews. It's definitely on my radar along with the OP8T. Sony phones usually plummet in price. I'm holding off til Black Friday to compare some deals. Have no use for the headphones, so would probably just sell them on anyway.

The 21:9 aspect ratio is fantastic. Once I got used to it on my Xperia 1 I found all other phones to feel fat and bloated. Super comfy and easy to use.

The 21:9 aspect ratio is fantastic. Once I got used to it on my Xperia 1 I found all other phones to feel fat and bloated. Super comfy and easy to use.

I bought a Mk1 today for €150 (small mark on the screen) to get a taste of the size :D I really like it.
    My god, the fingerprint scanner is woeful though.
    Works 1 in maybe 5 or 6 goes. Have registered the same thumb 3 times now so fingers crossed. Also with the FP scanner and power button being separate, it's a tad annoying going between one and the other.

Anyway - sorry to derail. I'm still looking forward to checking out the Mk2

• Advertisement

The finger print complaint was quite common from what I've seen unfortunately. (never had this phone myself) I can never understand how companies forget how to do something they had working before. I had a Xperia Z5 with a fingerprint scan unlock on the power key and it worked perfect most of the time. My current phone, the XZ2, has a rear mounted scanner and it still works a treat as long as I have a relatively clean finger and/or phone. I use it to log into Revolut or N26 apps.
    Not seen anyone give out about the scanner on the 5ii so looks promising there. Been checking the Vodafone and Carphone websites perhaps a bit too regularly for a while, heart lept a little when I saw a new Sony on Vodafone, sank when I realised it was just the budget entry L4.

flazio wrote: »
    The finger print complaint was quite common from what I've seen unfortunately. (never had this phone myself) I can never understand how companies forget how to do something they had working before. I had a Xperia Z5 with a fingerprint scan unlock on the power key and it worked perfect most of the time. My current phone, the XZ2, has a rear mounted scanner and it still works a treat as long as I have a relatively clean finger and/or phone. I use it to log into Revolut or N26 apps.
    Not seen anyone give out about the scanner on the 5ii so looks promising there. Been checking the Vodafone and Carphone websites perhaps a bit too regularly for a while, heart lept a little when I saw a new Sony on Vodafone, sank when I realised it was just the budget entry L4.

I've sold the phone already. Nearly lasted 24hrs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

billbond4 wrote: »

Anyone have any experience of ordering from here.. do they deliver to Ireland?

Eir also selling phone but not sure if phone will be unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Anyone have any experience of ordering from here.. do they deliver to Ireland?

Eir also selling phone but not sure if phone will be unlocked?

Most likely will be locked from Eir I would say, that place seem to only deliver the Great Britian, so either parcel motel or try https://www.clove.co.uk/collections/smartphones/products/sony-xperia-5-ii?variant=32872771846187

I'm still holding out hope that there's a reason that Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse are on the list of possible purchase points for claiming the headphones on the Irish Sony site. Clove say that they are receiving stock on November 1st so perhaps I'll wait until then.
    You might think I'm crazy but taking out a 2 year contract in order to get a 2/3rds discount on the handset would be a great help for Christmas. Currently I'm on a Vodafone 30day rolling at the moment so it'd just be a simple upgrade. I think I'm pretty much committed at this stage. It seems as if the Pixel 5 would be a slight shuffle forward rather then a big step up from my current XZ2.

So, A week into November and Eir are now sold out of the handset, still no sign of it on Vodafone or Carphone Warehouse, however it is available at Currys for the very inflated price of €960, I wonder if I bought it there if I could claim the phone was bought at "Carphone Warehouse IE" on the Headphones claim site as CPW and Currys are both under the Dixons umbrella.
    I'm still wary about importing the phone myself. Would I get the headphones?

Has to be from cpw.ie
    Its in the T&Cs https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/articles/00250441

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Has to be from cpw.ie
    Its in the T&Cs https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/articles/00250441

How is it that Sony can run a promotion with retailers that still don't stock the phone that promotion is valid with i.e. Vodafone IE and CPW IE?

Also don't understand note in T & Cs: Enter the campaign website (Ireland Only) and click on the “Claim here” button to register. Claims must be made online from October 12th and no later than January 31st, 2021 otherwise they will not be accepted.Note: Claims can be submitted between 03.09.2020 - 07.11.2020

Vodafone haven't started selling it yet, should be in the next few weeks

• Advertisement

Vodafone haven't started selling it yet, should be in the next few weeks

It's on the Vodafone website right now for 699.99 with the free headphones and 50 off when you port a sim from another network

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/sony/xperia-5ii.html?gallery=payg

Advertisement