Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 4a

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Pacifico wrote: »
    Have you a picture of it?
    euro stores and dealz and me price have adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What's the delivery like at the moment? Mine is listed for delivery 2728 October, any chance it might get to me sooner?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mine has dispatched. Ordered Sept 22nd. Due tomorrow or Weds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Arrived at 10 this morning, via Eindhoven, Brussels, East Midlands and Dublin.

Haven't opened it yet. Too busy.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Arrived at 8:30AM today! Very happy with the size + my Spigen case with orange buttons. My 2 XL seems massive next to this now. After I copied my content over via the provided USB adapter (handy), I got the prompt to upgrade to Android 11 too - a nice 1.58GB download.

How did you do this?

I'm having trouble getting my LG V20 and 4a to talk the other, whether it's by USB and the 'Smart Switch' app. LG is on Android 8, though, and maybe that's the snag. It just says 'can't connect', both provide a four digit PIN, but nada. Probably because they think I'm on a Galaxy device and I'm getting stuck on what mode it's in, so it keeps slipping back to thinking I'm using one to charge the other...

• Advertisement

Got sorted with the transfer of stuff.

First impressions. The box from DHL was very light. Don't know why, but I was expecting it to weigh a little more. :P I was impressed by how quickly the 4a seem to restart itself after installing Android 11 and on the whole, it seems quite nippy. :)

LGV20 feels ancient already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Got sorted with the transfer of stuff.

First impressions. The box from DHL was very light. Don't know why, but I was expecting it to weigh a little more. :P I was impressed by how quickly the 4a seem to restart itself after installing Android 11 and on the whole, it seems quite nippy. :)

LGV20 feels ancient already.
    Have the V20 myself am looking at either the Pixel 4a or Poco x3 as a replacement.

One odd thing, the email from Google Store hasn't updated and still say my order has dispatched (12th), with a delivery date of 13th/14th. The tracking link for DHL is correct, of course.

One odd thing, the email from Google Store hasn't updated and still say my order has dispatched (12th), with a delivery date of 13th/14th. The tracking link for DHL is correct, of course.

I've ordered three things from Google recently, two have been delivered but all still show a delivery date in the future...

Because of that, I'm hoping they dispatch my phone earlier than they have listed.

Phone was dispatched this morning, should arrive tomorrow or the next day... one week earlier than scheduled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭eggy81

I've a galaxy s10 since April last year and its been bombarded with updates the last 6 months and tge battery life which was never brilliant but was acceptable after some tweaks is now getting noticeably worse. It has been a very disappointing phone compared to my previous s7 imo.
    I don't fancy dropping anther 900 euros on a phone so I'm considering the 4a. I've never had a pixel before and I'm just wondering what it's like battery and screen wise. Will the screen be noticeably inferior to my s10. Is there any need for the 5g model this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

The Pixel 4a 5g looks great except for the screen size.

The Pixel 5 has a better screen size for me but no headphone socket.

Pixel 4a has no 5g but everything else and I'm not sure I need 5g.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Daith wrote: »
    The Pixel 4a 5g looks great except for the screen size.

The Pixel 5 has a better screen size for me but no headphone socket.

Pixel 4a has no 5g but everything else and I'm not sure I need 5g.
    Nobody "needs" 5G really, sure we haven't even got nationwide stable 4G yet - the 4A is the perfect phone.

Screen protector arrived (Mascheri). The size of boxes Amazon use it just ridiculous for one feckin' small item.

Mine arrived yesterday. Am loving the size... I've never had a giant phone, bit this is a good bit smaller than my last two devices and it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 m9934

Looking to buy a Pixel 4a. Where did ye get it? Does anyone know if you buy it from the Google Store is it unlocked? Thanks

m9934 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a Pixel 4a. Where did ye get it? Does anyone know if you buy it from the Google Store is it unlocked? Thanks

Got it from the Google Store, unlocked. Great phone, I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Everybody get the bose with their phone?

Phil.x wrote: »
    Everybody get the bose with there phone?

The headphones? I think they come with the 4A(5G) and the 5, but not the 4A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I'll definitely be getting a 4a once Graphene OS releases a stable build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

Still waiting for google to open the preorders for the pixel 4a 5g. I think the cameras are worth the money, and the increased size is a must for me

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

pinking wrote: »
    Still waiting for google to open the preorders for the pixel 4a 5g. I think the cameras are worth the money, and the increased size is a must for me

I agree - I think this is the best price / performance for me. Same camera from the Pixel 5, bigger screen, headphone jack out, lower price than Pixel 5, and Bose included.
    Any idea when pre-orders are live?

Issac wrote: »
    I agree - I think this is the best price / performance for me. Same camera from the Pixel 5, bigger screen, headphone jack out, lower price than Pixel 5, and Bose included.
    Any idea when pre-orders are live?

Bose promotion runs between the 5th and 18th of November, but for the 4a 5G it has the "while stocks last" caveat, so I'd get in as close as possible to the start date.

Took these last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anyone else availing of the 4a 5G offer for the Bose headphones? Orders are open today so I stuck it in my basket on the Play Store website and it's telling me delivery will be 9th to 10th December????
    No doubt the headphones will be out of stock by then. I'm assuming that's due to order volumes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I was playing with the idea. But other than the camera the specs are meh compared to our current 2yr Chinese phones. For example less battery and less storage. I think once you get into this price point there's a lot of competition with better specs and only a slightly worse camera. Vanilla Android is a big draw though. That said I think you could buy it and sell it on for not much loss if you didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Ordered one there. Happy out. Great camera and enough of everything else to run what I need to run.
    Software optimsation will give this phone a big advantage over competitors I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Heroditas

beauf wrote: »
    I was playing with the idea. But other than the camera the specs are meh compared to our current 2yr Chinese phones. For example less battery and less storage. I think once you get into this price point there's a lot of competition with better specs and only a slightly worse camera. Vanilla Android is a big draw though. That said I think you could buy it and sell it on for not much loss if you didn't like it.

Yeah Vanilla Android is the biggest draw for me.
    Feck it, I think I'll order it :D

While others compete purely on spec, Google have changed the narrative, they are fighting on user experience... And fair play to them, I picked up the 4a last month and love it... Does what it needs and doesn't cause me problems.

At the moment I am overusing it on a daily basis, cause my TV is not set up, but I still get enough battery through the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭eggy81

Never owned a Google device but I'm contemplating the 4a 5g or a move back to apple for a spell from my s10. What is the battery life expected to be like on the 4a5g. Does the vanilla android mean the phone has less stuff running in the background as well as simpler cleaner Ui.

Advertisement