Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I cant understand how apple still manufacture phones with 2,600 battery when this is such a crucial feature nowadays .

For me battery capacity is ahead of camera .
    ITS APPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

massy086 wrote: »
    ITS APPLE

even the Samsung S8 is 3000mah - it doesn't make sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I am coming to this thread for help as failed to get replies on my other threads, does anyone know how to transfer all data/apps etc. from a Xiaomi mi phone to Google Android Mi A1 phone, the option to back up to Google is not available and everything is backed up to mi cloud, I can't seem to do a backup to mi pc suite, seems there are lots of people who have failed to do this going by Google searches, I tried Cloneit app for transfer but the apps i have used on old phone are listed on new phone but I have to install all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anybody going for the Mi Max 3? Its an absolute beast, a lot of phone for ~€300:

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3-6_9-inch-Big-Display-6GB-RAM-128GB-ROM-Snapdragon-636-4G-Smartphone-p-1326980.html?rmmds=search&admitad_uid=1f716767fc08a97290adfa003b6aa55b&cur_warehouse=CN

Im doing a lot of travelling these days and it would be nice to have a cross between a phone and a tablet for browsing and tv, plus Ive been reading so much comics and graphics novels lately on my phone that again it would be nice to have the big screen and big battery, not sure about that resolution though.

Ill wait for a few reviews, 6.9" screen is making me nervous though, my first tablet was 7" :eek:

As long as the reviews are good Ill go for it I reckon, my Oneplus One is starting to die and you cant get replacement batteries anymore but the offerings at the minute arent really that great across the board, just minor updates to last years stuff from what I can see.

Im going to try it when it comes in stock, I can always sell it on Adverts if I dont like it.

UWy8Bxr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭corkie

august12 wrote: »
    I am coming to this thread for help as failed to get replies on my other threads, does anyone know how to transfer all data/apps etc. from a Xiaomi mi phone to Google Android Mi A1 phone, the option to back up to Google is not available and everything is backed up to mi cloud, I can't seem to do a backup to mi pc suite, seems there are lots of people who have failed to do this going by Google searches, I tried Cloneit app for transfer but the apps i have used on old phone are listed on new phone but I have to install all.

The problem is that your running two different and conflicting OS.

If your first MI Device was rooted, there is apps you could use to backup apps (and there associated data). But to root, you would need to unlock the bootloader, which would wipe your data in the process.

Even if you got Mi PCSuite (update beta versions available) working for your first device, I don't believe that tool would work on the Android One device.

When setting up the Mi A1, you could have used google play to download apps (used on prior device) and install them. But you probably connected to google as new device, instead of restoring.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement

corkie wrote:
    When setting up the Mi A1, you could have used google play to download apps (used on prior device) and install them. But you probably connected to google as new device, instead of restoring.

Thanks for the update, I actually used restore option, but it seems to only have brought in the Google apps, like Google maps, calendar, etc, no apps restored from my old device, maybe because when I purchased this phone about 3 years ago, I had to install Google play services, looks like I will have to install all individually, not sure if Viber and what's app historic messages will be available, my Gmail data seems fine, photos and videos came across with Cloneit, will try again later, it's a bit head wrecking,

Thanks for the update, I actually used restore option, but it seems to only have brought in the Google apps, like Google maps, calendar, etc, no apps restored from my old device, maybe because when I purchased this phone about 3 years ago, I had to install Google play services, looks like I will have to install all individually, not sure if Viber and what's app historic messages will be available, my Gmail data seems fine, photos and videos came across with Cloneit, will try again later, it's a bit head wrecking,
    Sit down at a desktop pc, log into your google account and tell all the apps on your account to install from the desktop play store, it will be one click each, you'll be done in 10 minutes.

Damn got to wait a couple of weeks to see what the Honor 10 is like compared to the Mi Max 3:

https://www.androidauthority.com/honor-note-10-china-launch-888033/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

they honor probably wont have sd card support, and will likely be 19:9 ratio so a touch thinner than the mi max 3...but i bet it'll have a good camera.

i am smitten and excited at the thought of the mi max 3, but i am waiting for good youtube reviews...i am curious mainly about the camera, but i expect it to be same as redmi note 5 as specs are same...also, when a global version will be released...although theres an english version which you could put on play store and services on, i think.

my only other concern, as someone who walks a lot of the year in rain (with earphones plugged in), is no level of waterproofing on these.

but i love HUGE screen phones...ever since the samsung note series started out.

Thargor wrote:
    Sit down at a desktop pc, log into your google account and tell all the apps on your account to install from the desktop play store, it will be one click each, you'll be done in 10 minutes.

Great, thanks for this, I have spent all of yesterday trying to figure out how to do this, this forum is such a help, will update later on this.
    Just one other thing, I have three options on new phone for restoring, backup from Android phone, backup from cloud, an iPhone device, which should I select after completing the above, or am I selection setting up from new and adding my Google account? Apologies if this sounds silly but I'm not technical minded.

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for this, I have spent all of yesterday trying to figure out how to do this, this forum is such a help, will update later on this.
    Just one other thing, I have three options on new phone for restoring, backup from Android phone, backup from cloud, an iPhone device, which should I select after completing the above, or am I selection setting up from new and adding my Google account? Apologies if this sounds silly but I'm not technical minded.

You can only restore google backups to Mi A1. The MIUI backup cannot be restored in non MIUI devices.
    Use Titanium backup to backup data from MIUI Device, and restore with TItanium backup in Mi A1.
    But remember to backup and restore app data also, you need to have both device rooted.

http://en.miui.com/thread-1436456-1-1.html

So the backup and restore options your possibly seeing on your Mi A1 or for restoring backups created with the Mi A1

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Honor and Huawei bootloader unlock codes will stop being provided as of tomorrow

On May 24, the message below was annoucing users that Honor and Huawei bootloader unlock codes will stop being provided in 60 days. This means that if you have a phone made by Huawei or Honor, today is your last day to request one.

Of course, you should only do that if you intend to do some real tinkering with your device, like gaining root access, flashing a custom ROM, custom kernel, and alike. If you consider doing these extreme customizations, you should also know that you are doing it at your own risk. Ceasing to supply Honor and Huawei bootloader unlock codes is explained by the manufacturer as a means to “provide better user experience and avoid issues caused by ROM flashing”.

The service will be stopped for all products, so, again, if you really need to, today is your last chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

You can definitely backup whatsapp, I just did it before switching to my note 5. Not sure about Viber don't use it

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mi A2 and mi A2 lite out today.

Thinking of punting for the lite as a replacement for my A1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Mi A2 and mi A2 lite out today.

Thinking of punting for the lite as a replacement for my A1

Was looking at them as well, I need a new phone sorted for a holiday in September so need to decide this week really, what are people thinking? Global Rom showing on alliexpress for the Mi Max 3 now, where are the reviews?

https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/Mi-max-3.html?site=glo&g=y&SearchText=Mi+max+3&tc=ppc&CatId=5090301&initiative_id=SB_20180723061848&needQuery=n&isrefine=y

Thargor wrote: »
    Was looking at them as well, I need a new phone sorted for a holiday in September so need to decide this week really, what are people thinking? Global Rom showing on alliexpress for the Mi Max 3 now, where are the reviews?

https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/Mi-max-3.html?site=glo&g=y&SearchText=Mi+max+3&tc=ppc&CatId=5090301&initiative_id=SB_20180723061848&needQuery=n&isrefine=y

surprised to see that (could that be a store adding languages and play store and google services to sell as their version of a global rom ?).
    anyway, aside from global rom listing, a couple of other things i'd like to see covered in reviews, when the reviews come....
    that aliexpress listing shows a single speaker but i seen it advertised as having stereo sound.
    also, i read it has fm radio but that listing says no fm radio.

Definitely stereo speakers(on the bottom) and fm radio anyway, that was in Xiaomis reveal the other day, plus a 3.5mm headphone jack, I'm struggling to come up with anything that competes with it tbh, on paper anyway, especially when you throw in the 5500 mAh battery and the 128 GB Rom.

Definitely stereo speakers(on the bottom) and fm radio anyway, that was in Xiaomis reveal the other day, plus a 3.5mm headphone jack, I'm struggling to come up with anything that competes with it tbh, on paper anyway, especially when you throw in the 5500 mAh battery and the 128 GB Rom.

is it wrong of me to consider going from my samsung s8+ to this ?

i adored the redmi note 5 i got for my lad, double tap to wake, fm radio (which i would use), good screen and decent camera (even if neither samsung s8 level)...but i just really liked it.
    ...and i love huge screens on phones, bigger the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Chris from TechTablets will have one Thursday Friday this week he always does great in-depth reviews
    https://twitter.com/TechTabletscom/status/1020958825740931074?s=19

dougm1970 wrote: »
    is it wrong of me to consider going from my samsung s8+ to this ?

i adored the redmi note 5 i got for my lad, double tap to wake, fm radio (which i would use), good screen and decent camera (even if neither samsung s8 level)...but i just really liked it.
    ...and i love huge screens on phones, bigger the better.
    I'm the same got the Mrs a Redmi Note 5 last week really like it. The Max 3 will be basically be a Note 5 with bigger screen and bigger battery. I have a One Plus 6 at the moment but might decide to buy Max 3 just for the bigger screen and battery

• Advertisement

I'm the same got the Mrs a Redmi Note 5 last week really like it. The Max 3 will be basically be a Note 5 with bigger screen and bigger battery. I have a One Plus 6 at the moment but might decide to buy Max 3 just for the bigger screen and battery

thats another thing. his battery on the redmi lasts twice as long as my s8+...he'll get two days and always on snapchat / instagram etc.....and i have my battery optimised, use web for facebook / instagram and use greenify.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    thats another thing. his battery on the redmi lasts twice as long as my s8+...he'll get two days and always on snapchat / instagram etc.....and i have my battery optimised, use web for facebook / instagram and use greenify.

I'd hang on for another couple of weeks we still might get a Max 3 Pro using the Snapdragon 710 as it's listed on the Qualcomm site
    https://twitter.com/mobilefonestren/status/1021442955847008256?s=19

I'd hang on for another couple of weeks we still might get a Max 3 Pro using the Snapdragon 710 as it's listed on the Qualcomm site

636 still powerful enough coupled with enough ram... and i think it should be a more battery friendly chip.

Balls, I need a phone ASAP, why is there always something better right around the corner:mad:

Balls, I need a phone ASAP, why is there always something better right around the corner:mad:

That might not happen for a month or two nothing official from Xaoimi about it. Although there is an EU event happening here in Madrid tomorrow so let's see what's announced.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

corkie wrote: »

the micro usb port has put me off the lite...

if the mi max 3pro comes in at purported specs it will be a monster
    (725 chip, 8GB, NFC) so i think ill hang on to see the proper specs.....

• Advertisement

I've had NFC for the last 4 years and I've used it exactly zero times, only a better screen would tempt me to wait for the Pro, but I am a bit desperate now, having to carry around a Xiaomi powerbank to keep my Oneplus charged.

Is there any chance if I do go for one of these ones on Aliexpress that I won't be able to load a global Rom when one appears do you think?

Advertisement