Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase restriction - time limit and exemption

• 14-03-2019 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello.
    I am an accidental landlord who first rented out my apartment 8 years ago. I have only increased rent once in that time. The rent is significantly below market rates.

I am now planning on buying a house but intend on moving back to the apartment to save for the new house and any refurbishments. I will be completely refurbishing the apartment. New kitchen and bathrooms and will put new floors etc down.

The plan is to stay there for about a year, if I rent it out then when I move into my new house, will I still only be able to increase the rent 4% from what it is now?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

1982 wrote: »
    Hello.
    I am an accidental landlord who first rented out my apartment 8 years ago. I have only increased rent once in that time. The rent is significantly below market rates.

I am now planning on buying a house but intend on moving back to the apartment to save for the new house and any refurbishments. I will be completely refurbishing the apartment. New kitchen and bathrooms and will put new floors etc down.

The plan is to stay there for about a year, if I rent it out then when I move into my new house, will I still only be able to increase the rent 4% from what it is now?

Thanks.

No.

If you undertake substantial renovations, which it appears you intend to do, you are entitled to charge market rates when you return it to rental, which can then by increased by 4% per annum.

If you do not undertake substantial renovations you can increase by 4% per annum (for a new tenancy) from the date the last rent came into effect. So if you haven't raised rent for a number of years the permitted increase would be a multiple of 4% in any case.

Because of compounding if you find yourself below market rent the sensible thing to do is to increase by 4% per annum (so 5% on the first occasion) every year as soon you are eligible to do a rent review. Remember that you must give 90 days notice before the new rent comes into effect in the case of a rent review during a tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

When is the rent increase allowed at the renewal date ? Because I was told its 90 days after the renewal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

When is the rent increase allowed at the renewal date ? Because I was told its 90 days after the renewal day.

You can review rent 12 months after the previous rent review or the commencement of the tenancy (in an RPZ). Following a rent review the tenant must receive 90 days notice before any increase in rent comes into effect.

So first rent increase can take place 15 months after tenancy commenced, subsequent increases can take effect every 12 months thereafter, each on 90 days notice after a review on the anniversary of the commencement of the tenancy or the anniversary of the previous rent review.

Advertisement