Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

C3PO wrote: »
    You can't compare that house to living in a housing estate! If I had the money I would buy it like a shot! It's a lovely house in a great location .... right in the middle of Greystones!

780k now. I know, it was fabulous. Unique

I saw Seagreen/Seagreen view. Still packed in up there and houses built so unimaginatively. If they had "flipped" them upside down you'd get great views from living room. But no, this is Ireland, a 3 bed semi has a formula......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

seasidedub wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I'm currently in a beach area of north county Dublin. I need to move and am only willing to move to the sea as I've lived by it all my life. I know Rush, Skerries etc very well, but need to go south. Can't afford Dalkey, Sandycove etc, so Greystones is the best choice. I'm used to a village atmosphere so want that too.

Would this appeal .... it does to me!

https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-for-sale/bray/harley-hill-strand-road-bray-wicklow-2029708/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

C3PO wrote: »
    You can't compare that house to living in a housing estate! If I had the money I would buy it like a shot! It's a lovely house in a great location .... right in the middle of Greystones!

You'd have to convert to unicyle, no room to store a proper bike!

Near 800K and no bathtub. The Tiger is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Which is this house you're talking about? I see one listed on daft for 765k but not 120m2....

• Advertisement

Which is this house you're talking about? I see one listed on daft for 765k but not 120m2....

Actually 127, was on for 745, now at 780

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's a bit ramshackle but it has character, is right beside the harbour and the Beach House:
    https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-for-sale/greystones/bethal-terrace-trafalgar-road-greystones-wicklow-1949001/

there are several houses available in Hillside and Heathervue, both good estates with lots of families living in them and minutes walk from the beach and village.

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's a bit ramshackle but it has character, is right beside the harbour and the Beach House:
    https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-for-sale/greystones/bethal-terrace-trafalgar-road-greystones-wicklow-1949001/

there are several houses available in Hillside and Heathervue, both good estates with lots of families living in them and minutes walk from the beach and village.

This one is a bit big and needs a lot of work but location is great. I'll look into the other areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

Thanks for this. I'm currently in a beach area of north county Dublin. I need to move and am only willing to move to the sea as I've lived by it all my life. I know Rush, Skerries etc very well, but need to go south. Can't afford Dalkey, Sandycove etc, so Greystones is the best choice. I'm used to a village atmosphere so want that too.
    You'd have to convert to unicyle, no room to store a proper bike!

Near 800K and no bathtub. The Tiger is back!

You obviously know me!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Finally, anyone got anything good to say about the Marina Village?? Anyone?
    That noisy metal box in the garden - its a heat pump for the heating system. You might end up with lower fuel bills than most if gas and oil prices go up in future, but electricity remains stable. Its a fairly new technology though.
    The Marina Village houses look attractive until you have to live in them. Railway to the rear, massive apartments blocking the view to the sea, over looked postage stamp gardens, limited parking, access road will very busy as it is the only way in and out for everyone. Great location but I wouldn't want to live there.
    As pointed out here, you really need to check out where the high rise apartments will be relative to the house that's for sale.

• Advertisement

• I almost bought in this development a number of years ago when the prices were around the 500K mark...thought it was a class development until I learned about the apartments and how bloody tight and on top of each other they were. How many houses will there be in total? It really put me off and since I go to greystones most weeks as i've friends living there, i am shocked how many apartments are going in and blocking those houses that once had a sea view.

There's still a number of houses (6 i think) with a direct sea view now going for over 7 figures where if money was no object, yeah go on, i'll take three! Stunning view.

For what it's worth, as a South Dublin blow in who grew up in Dublin 18 and was living in Ranelagh at the time I bought (2013/14), I ended up buying a new build in a new, small development in the outskirts of "Bray" just off the N11...exactly 10 mins away from Cabinteely Village. My kids will go to school in South Dublin and take the dart every day and i pat myself on the back with how much i've saved moving out of South Dublin back then and closer to Wicklow in general where in either parts of greystones or parts of Bray, there was serious value to be had in comparison to south dublin where the majority of suburbs are dull and overpriced Do it! Move out this way ;-).

I almost bought in this development a number of years ago when the prices were around the 500K mark...thought it was a class development until I learned about the apartments and how bloody tight and on top of each other they were. How many houses will there be in total? It really put me off and since I go to greystones most weeks as i've friends living there, i am shocked how many apartments are going in and blocking those houses that once had a sea view.

There's still a number of houses (6 i think) with a direct sea view now going for over 7 figures where if money was no object, yeah go on, i'll take three! Stunning view.

For what it's worth, as a South Dublin blow in who grew up in Dublin 18 and was living in Ranelagh at the time I bought (2013/14), I ended up buying a new build in a new, small development in the outskirts of "Bray" just off the N11...exactly 10 mins away from Cabinteely Village. My kids will go to school in South Dublin and take the dart every day and i pat myself on the back with how much i've saved moving out of South Dublin back then and closer to Wicklow in general where in either parts of greystones or parts of Bray, there was serious value to be had in comparison to south dublin where the majority of suburbs are dull and overpriced Do it! Move out this way ;-).

I take your point, but buyers of the houses (other than the 1 million euro ones you mention) were aware from the beginning that they would not have sea views. They were told. Otherwise those houses would have been much more expensive. The apartments will be tightly packed and the management fees are almost 3k a year. I'm genuinely interested to know what you thought of the houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

€3K a year management fees! For an apartment in Wicklow, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

€3K a year management fees

Location has no bearing the level of management fees. Service charge is simply the cost of providing the common area services to the building broken down over the number of units.

Some buildings are configured differently than others and have different needs.

From looking at the plans I would bet hefty insurance premium given they are on the water and a big lift maintenance charge given there 7 lifts would go a long way to outlining the 3k mgt fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Box09 wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to live there. Most of the houses are very small, no sense of space around the area, traffic issues, potential flooding and insurance issues. Not to mention very overpriced. Greystones is also rapidly losing its soul and is overated.

My sister bought in the Rathdown estate in the late 90's. It was something like a proper village then but she hates it now having watched development pile up around the area, the harbour go and vacuous retail/coffee/expensive eateries envelop the village.

With all the new development going live (Charlesland II, The Marina) and undoubtedly coming down the tracks (on the north approaches to the town), Greystones "village" can't help but disappear down a surburban sinkhole.

loyatemu wrote: »

That's been on for years so might be worth a lowball if you don't mind living on sea.

• seasidedub wrote: »
    I take your point, but buyers of the houses (other than the 1 million euro ones you mention) were aware from the beginning that they would not have sea views. They were told. Otherwise those houses would have been much more expensive. The apartments will be tightly packed and the management fees are almost 3k a year. I'm genuinely interested to know what you thought of the houses?

Some were great. They're nice and flash looking (like a lot new builds) but a lot of them don't seem to have actual driveways or proper gardens and are now (due to developer's greed) really starting to look squashed in and on top of each other especially relative to what they cost.

I foresee one or two challenges here in the next 18-24 months with the following:

1) Parking in general - i can see pay and display and double yellow lines being implemented to curb visitor parking etc

2) Bray --> Greystones (and vice versa) cliff walk footfall - do you want to look out your window at apartments and hundreds of people walking by on a Saturday? I've started noticing signs up saying "Private, residents now live here" or something to that effect. This will start to annoy people over time.

3) Usual traffic but that's not exclusive to Greystones

In general, i'd have liked to have seen the apartments behind the houses and the houses brought forward so they get better views. That way the apartments higher up would still get sea views which a lot want.

Some were great. They're nice and flash looking (like a lot new builds) but a lot of them don't seem to have actual driveways or proper gardens and are now (due to developer's greed) really starting to look squashed in and on top of each other especially relative to what they cost.

I foresee one or two challenges here in the next 18-24 months with the following:
    1) Parking in general - i can see pay and display and double yellow lines being implemented to curb visitor parking etc

2) Bray --> Greystones (and vice versa) cliff walk footfall - do you want to look out your window at apartments and hundreds of people walking by on a Saturday? I've started noticing signs up saying "Private, residents now live here" or something to that effect. This will start to annoy people over time.

3) Usual traffic but that's not exclusive to Greystones

In general, i'd have liked to have seen the apartments behind the houses and the houses brought forward so they get better views. That way the apartments higher up would still get sea views which a lot want.

Thanks for the input. I'm really looking to move but am from the sea and really want to stay by it. The houses look squashed due to narrow roads as in all new estates. You get A rated as the pay off. The cliff walk supposedly will be 're- routed. Apartments were always going to be in front with views. The energy rating really attracts....

The question arises as to what is coming down the tracks (and I don't mean a better Dart service!)

There's heavy development going on around Greystones, it forming a natural hub given infrastructure like town/schools/n11/dart

The 'harbour' is a key amenity. Why live beside the sea if your not going to avail of it?

It's likely that the amenity aspect will be developed further. There will be more visiting the seafront as they move into the area in any case.

What will that look like given the harbour carpark limited? If the roads are given over to the council, do you get a situation as so often the case: disc/resident parking, with the residents battling it out with amenity users.

Such is the case in the environs of Bray seafront. You don't want to get to a situation where you're sticking cones on parking spots or battling it out with folk who park on your spot irrespective of what the official position is.

There's a touch of parking/crowds Ground Zero about the area. As my sister found out, what you move into now need not stay that way

• seasidedub wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I'm really looking to move but am from the sea and really want to stay by it. The houses look squashed due to narrow roads as in all new estates. You get A rated as the pay off. The cliff walk supposedly will be 're- routed. Apartments were always going to be in front with views. The energy rating really attracts....

Go for it. I don't think you'll regret it at all. It seems to tick all your boxes :-) which is a great position to be in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Some of he comments on here are not just hilarious but really misinformed. A friend of mine purchased one of these houses 18 months ago and is beyond delighted with it.

1. Did they know that apartments would be built... of course they did and different units were priced to reflect future views... houses in the €500k range were within 60 seconds walk to the seafront, if somebody wanted an unobstructed view of marina then the price was closer to €1m.
    2. At time of purchase similar houses in Greystones were not €150k cheaper, the prices were pretty much on a par with the other new builds in Seagreen, Glenheron etc.
    3. There is absolutely no issue with insurance, a multimillion Euro defence is located just in front of it. Yes rising sea levels will be an issue for houses around the country built close to the water without any protection which in reality makes these houses and apartments even more attractive if you want to be that close.
    4. Cliff walk will be re-routed and they like the buzz of people about, there will also be a fantastic park with playground/dog run etc built in the coming months.
    5. Not everybody wants a huge garden to look after, personal preference here so if you fall into this category it allows somebody afford a house in an amazing location at a price they could not have afforded of it had a bigger footprint attached.
    6. They weighed up their decision and opted for Marina Village over the other new builds as it is in walking distance of everything and would not add to any of the traffic issues described. Sea green/Glenheron/waverly etc are all still 30 minute walks to the village or harbour.
    7. The houses at the back where they are have unobstructed views to the sugarloaf. A dart goes past every 30 mins but cannot be heard inside as the houses are a-rated and sound proofed. So there were options in orientation etc.
    8. Just to note there was no social or affordable housing built in the development as a push to get the original builders moving during the recession.

There is a lot of begrudgery when it comes to Marina Village due to the price bracket and the fact people objected to the development a decade ago. Those that bought there seem very happy.

OP, if you want a house within seconds of the sea and also in Greystones you will do well to find anything better than MV. Best of luck with the search.

yesap wrote: »
    Some of he comments on here are not just hilarious but really misinformed. A friend of mine purchased one of these houses 18 months ago and is beyond delighted with it.

1. Did they know that apartments would be built... of course they did and different units were priced to reflect future views... houses in the €500k range were within 60 seconds walk to the seafront, if somebody wanted an unobstructed view of marina then the price was closer to €1m.
    2. At time of purchase similar houses in Greystones were not €150k cheaper, the prices were pretty much on a par with the other new builds in Seagreen, Glenheron etc.
    3. There is absolutely no issue with insurance, a multimillion Euro defence is located just in front of it. Yes rising sea levels will be an issue for houses around the country built close to the water without any protection which in reality makes these houses and apartments even more attractive if you want to be that close.
    4. Cliff walk will be re-routed and they like the buzz of people about, there will also be a fantastic park with playground/dog run etc built in the coming months.
    5. Not everybody wants a huge garden to look after, personal preference here so if you fall into this category it allows somebody afford a house in an amazing location at a price they could not have afforded of it had a bigger footprint attached.
    6. They weighed up their decision and opted for Marina Village over the other new builds as it is in walking distance of everything and would not add to any of the traffic issues described. Sea green/Glenheron/waverly etc are all still 30 minute walks to the village or harbour.
    7. The houses at the back where they are have unobstructed views to the sugarloaf. A dart goes past every 30 mins but cannot be heard inside as the houses are a-rated and sound proofed. So there were options in orientation etc.
    8. Just to note there was no social or affordable housing built in the development as a push to get the original builders moving during the recession.

There is a lot of begrudgery when it comes to Marina Village due to the price bracket and the fact people objected to the development a decade ago. Those that bought there seem very happy.

OP, if you want a house within seconds of the sea and also in Greystones you will do well to find anything better than MV. Best of luck with the search.

Thanks for this interesting reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

yesap wrote: »

1. Nobody is saying the residents were promised a view of the sea and tricked out of one. The comments are based on the design of the development which manages to obstruct any view of the marina for the majority of houses and then charges a 500k premium if you want to see the thing the development is named after. Just because the residents knew this before buying it doesn't mean it was a good design.

2. Discussion has been about prices currently as opposed to what they were.

Thanks everyone for your input on the Marina Village. 2 houses currently for sale - and the townhouses will come up soon, so will think....I genuinely need to move so as I say will think.

Does anyone have any info on the La Touche redevelopment? Very hard to get info. Would the plans be with WW county council? I "heard" the townhouses with views right on the beach will be a million plus. But anyone know about what's going to be further in? I'd so appreciate any info.

Thanks everyone for your input on the Marina Village. 2 houses currently for sale - and the townhouses will come up soon, so will think....I genuinely need to move so as I say will think.

Does anyone have any info on the La Touche redevelopment? Very hard to get info. Would the plans be with WW county council? I "heard" the townhouses with views right on the beach will be a million plus. But anyone know about what's going to be further in? I'd so appreciate any info.

work has stopped on the La Touche site, for reasons unknown. I don't think anyone knows how much they will be, but "not cheap" would be a good guess.

planning ref:
    http://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/15114/0

Another thing to consider here is the possibility of Dart works.

The Dart to Bray is double tracked turning to single track onto Greystones. The crap service to Greystones is something that might well be expected to alter given the level of development there.

Whilst I wouldn't envisage 2 track through Bray head (funny they managed it 100 years ago), a double track from the head to Greystones would work, with signalling through the head taking care of that bottle neck.

Likely as not, shunting/maintenance would occur south of Greystones but the question arises as to the effect of two tracking on houses in the Marina adjacent to the rail line.

The Dart to Bray is double tracked turning to single track onto Greystones. The crap service to Greystones is something that might well be expected to alter given the level of development there.

Whilst I wouldn't envisage 2 track through Bray head (funny they managed it 100 years ago), a double track from the head to Greystones would work, with signalling through the head taking care of that bottle neck.

Likely as not, shunting/maintenance would occur south of Greystones but the question arises as to the effect of two tracking on houses in the Marina adjacent to the rail line.

Interesting. Lots to think about. The house I was interested (127m2) has gone sale agreed for close to 800k which is amazing for it's size and lack of possibility for extension as well as being totally overlooked. It just shows how much somebody is willing to pay to be on a 'tucked away"" road yet beside the sea and close to the town centre. The marina village is beside the sea and close to the town centre, as well as being within my budget. It's busy, overlooked and certainly doesn't have that tucked away appeal. But - I'm my budget there are limitations......

Interesting. Lots to think about. The house I was interested (127m2) has gone sale agreed for close to 800k which is amazing for it's size and lack of possibility for extension as well as being totally overlooked. It just shows how much somebody is willing to pay to be on a 'tucked away"" road yet beside the sea and close to the town centre. The marina village is beside the sea and close to the town centre, as well as being within my budget. It's busy, overlooked and certainly doesn't have that tucked away appeal. But - I'm my budget there are limitations......

Sorry "In my budget" predictive text.....

The current train service isn't that bad, you should have seen it before the Dart was extended. There's a Dart every 30 mins on weekdays, only the trains at 7.48 (an intercity) & 7.54 are really busy, they usually depart Greystones with people already standing. Coming home in the evening you'll end up standing most of the way back.

The weekend service is poor (less than one train an hour) but is supposed to be improving later in the year when more drivers are hired. The "BusConnects" plan envisages a 20 minute Dart service for Greystones. Apparently they have engineers looking into it and there will be a report out shortly.

As you surmise, it will probably involve doubling some of the line south of Bray Head (though in the long term, say in 20 years, they're going to have to consider building a new tunnel).

• Advertisement

I was skimming down a write up on the latest, greatest iphone. Something like 8 times the price of my smartphone, it was.

What does one get for 8 times the price, I wondered. Turns out, in terms of the essence of what a smart phone offers, it didn't do lots more. Nice features, faster, better camera, nice build. But in essence, a marginal improvement.

Expensive form over function.

The Marina has that same feel. It's close to the sea but so what: you don't get any views (unless you pay for them), it isn't a village, whatever about the name. The "seaside amenity" is limited and made of concrete (compared to say, Bray seafront). It's smart, but like an iphone, the cost paid for marginal improvement is out of sight.

A short distance away you have a veritable mansion. BER C3, private, quiet, plenty of space inside and out, as close to amenities as the Marina if you decide to amble by bike as opposed to foot, twice the size of what you're looking at in Marina, posh part of Greystones...

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/poynstown-killincarrig-greystones-co-wicklow-a63-xt02/4213861

Now it might be a bit beyond your budget (although it's been languishing so potential for a silly offer). But underscores the seeming madness of paying through the nose for a comparative sardine can in a high density concrete jungle. Just because its nominally "on the water"

Advertisement