Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Woods comeback story

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What a comeback. I can't wait for the movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Its the sporting drama story of the century.
    You just wont see anything more extraordinary for the rest of your lives.
    For mastery of a sporting skill, competitive drive, and iron will to rise above the ordinary and be a superman, Tiger is it. We saw it today. All other sports human interest stories pale to nothing in comparison.

Sorry this is ridiculous. He's not the only good sportsman in the world. Lionel Messi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Lebron James, Tom Brady etc. All excel in their professions too.

He's been a very good golfer for a the past year or so and was one of the favourites prior to the tournament started and so some of the hyperbole is nauseating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What a comeback. I can't wait for the movie!

Its certainly the greatest since a stone was found rolled away from in front of a tomb 2000 years ago, and there are concerns about the veracity of that one. No movie needed. The real thing was told in front of our eyes today.

Sorry this is ridiculous. He's not the only good sportsman in the world. Lionel Messi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Lebron James, Tom Brady etc. All excel in their professions too.

Did they come back though.
    The above are fine sports men, sure. But not of his level. Bradman is probably the only one in the history of sport that compares. And he had nothing of the comeback element that todays miracle has.

Al Porter, take note.

You weren’t Tiger Woods then, and you’re not now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The above are fine sports men, sure. But not of his level. Bradman is probably the only one in the history of sport that compares. And he had nothing of the comeback element that todays miracle has.

I don’t think any of the ones that were mentioned ever went away.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

James Cracknell, man was on life support with a head injury in 2010 and last week he rowed in the Varsity race for Cambridge at 46 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Gives every middle aged male in America the notion that they can turn things around if life has messed things up for them

The American dream

Because they looked after themselves and didn't sleep around with other women during their primes.

I'm glad for Tiger Woods but its partly his own fault why he sank that low in the first place. He should've won a major a few years back when he was number 1 in the world in 2012/2013.

He still might win a few more yet.

Because they looked after themselves and didn't sleep around with other women during their primes.

Very little to do with the fallow years actually, but people do jump to the association of the salacious and separation with his lack of wins.

He missed time due to injury in 2008 and 2011, but was generally very competitive, even still the most consistently competitive, from 2009 to 2013. 2014-2017 were the years truly missed to injury, where he underwent four surgeries including spinal fusion. Whether he would even live the rest of his life pain free, let alone swing a golf club, was unknown. Last year he came back, and was at the serious end of the last two majors of the year. In his 5th one on his return. He wins. Extraordinary.

• Advertisement

Very little to do with the fallow years actually, but people do jump to the association of the salacious and separation with his lack of wins.

He missed time due to injury in 2008 and 2011, but was generally very competitive, even still the most consistently competitive, from 2009 to 2013. 2014-2017 were the years truly missed to injury, where he underwent four surgeries including spinal fusion. Whether he would even live the rest of his life pain free, yet alone swing a golf club, was unknown. Last year he came back, and was at the serious end of the second two majors of the year. In his 5th one on his return. He wins. Extraordinary.

He's an exceptionally talented golfer. Form is temporary and class is permanent, so its not a surprise to me wins another major based on what I saw at the back end of last year. As long as his body holds up he knows he can win majors.

We don't need to act like its a news story equivalent of the moon landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

We don't need to act like its a news story equivalent of the moon landing.
    :D:D

Reading earlier posts there were a few landings on Tiger's moon;)

Great achievement. We all love a comeback story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Marengo wrote: »
    :D:D

Reading earlier posts there were a few landings on Tiger's moon;)

He’ll be in for a tongue lashing if he gets back into that sort of thing.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He can have a few months now of hookers and getting his salad tossed.

He's earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Never heard of them, are they any good at golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

All I could think of when he took off that cap on the 18th....

'Comeback?
    That hair is gone for good and the rest will quickly follow.'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

All I could think of when he took off that cap on the 18th....

'Comeback?
    That hair is gone for good and the rest will quickly follow.'

If he wanted a head of hair he'd have it. He is worth hundreds of millions. Fair play to him for not giving a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It was my (at the time) 87 year old granny who filled me in on the whole Tiger debacle a decade ago. Lovin’ the goss, so she was. Puffing away on cigs, conspiratorially telling me about all the different women. It’s one of my favourite memories of her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I never liked Tiger at the height of his success, too corporate, clean and boring.
    But after a very public implosion involving seedy deeds, a marriage break up and then health issues I'm glad he's back on top.

"It's the come back story of a lifetime"

He’s the greatest sportsman that’s ever lived. What he did tonight was unbelievable.

You can tell your grand children you lived in the time of Tiger Woods because they’ll never be anything like him again.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    He’s the greatest sportsman that’s ever lived. What he did tonight was unbelievable.

You can tell your grand children you lived in the time of Tiger Woods because they’ll never be anything like him again.

No he's not. He's arguably not even the greatest at his own frigging sport.

Plenty of great sports people who have transcended their sports as much as Woods has easily, but Woods fans really take the biscuit when it comes to being relentless sycophants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

He’s the greatest sportsman that’s ever lived.

For whacking a rubber ball around the fields with a metal bat?

No.

Who’s better?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's a great comeback. He was absolutely finished both mentally and physically. When he was able to play, he was awful. Then he sorted himself out, took a break and got himself ready again. The scenes from the tour championship last year gave me goosebumps and my eyes were a little bit watery tonight.

I don't think he was ever really loved in his hay day. He was a child prodigy, more powerful than anybody in the field and quite robotic. Then when he messed up people were like "meh, never really liked him". But his life **** ups made him human. Not a very nice person, but human. His comeback seems to have made him a better person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I was living in dubai from 97 to 2008 at the height of tigers career. One of my best friends was the pro at the golf club where the dubai desert classic took place. The stories he told us about tiger when he took part in the tournament are unbelievable. I'm delighted to see him back at the top, it really is one of the biggest sporting comebacks of all time and to see him with his mum, kids and girlfriend I think he's sown his wild oats and now realises what's important to him. None of us are perfect and I hope he wins many more majors.

Who’s better?

Federer's the greatest tennis player ever, and there's lot less uncertainty that he's the GOAT of the sport. He also passed Sampras's record unlike Woods who has not as of yet to pass Nicklaus.

Pele, Maradona, Messi in football.

Ali in boxing.

Various olympians.

Tom Brady in American football.

Don Bradman/Sachin Tendulkar in Cricket

Michael Jordan in Basketball

Wayne Gretzky in Ice Hockey

Come on there are plenty who are a match for Woods.

No he's not. He's arguably not even the greatest at his own frigging sport.

Plenty of great sports people who have transcended their sports as much as Woods has easily, but Woods fans really take the biscuit when it comes to being relentless sycophants.

You think Jack is better? You only need to look at their stats. Tiger pisses all over his stats. You can’t compare them with majors...jack played against far weaker fields. The 14 tiger won were against stronger fields & now the fields are even stronger again. No one will win 14 after this.

The fact that a 43 yr old with a fused back could go out & intimidate them just shows you how incredible tiger is.

None of us are perfect and I hope he wins many more majors.

He is 43 now. This may not be his last but 'many more' would surely be a stretch.

You think Jack is better? You only need to look at their stats. Tiger pisses all over his stats. You can’t compare them with majors...jack played against far weaker fields. The 14 tiger won were against stronger fields & now the fields are even stronger again. No one will win 14 after this.

The fact that a 43 yr old with a fused back could go out & intimidate them just shows you how incredible tiger is.

I think there is a good argument for Nicklaus yeah, I don't mind people thinking Tiger is the GOAT, but no way is he "undisputed". A lot of people do still think Nicklaus, yougov did a poll on it recently and Nicklaus won, although there was a clear generational bias.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/lifestyle/articles-reports/2014/08/08/tiger-woods-vs-jack-nicklaus

Federer's the greatest tennis player ever, and there's lot less uncertainty that he's the GOAT of the sport. He also passed Sampras's record unlike Woods who has not as of yet to pass Nicklaus.

Pele, Maradona, Messi in football.

Ali in boxing.

Various olympians.

Tom Brady in American football.

Don Bradman/Sachin Tendulkar in Cricket

Michael Jordan in Basketball

Wayne Gretzky in Ice Hockey

Come on there are plenty who are a match for Woods.

I think golf is far more difficult to master than any of those sports. But that’s just my opinion.

• Advertisement

I think golf is far more difficult to master than any of those sports. But that’s just my opinion.

No its not. You can play top level Golf for 20/25 years.

Tennis players are lucky to get 10, Federer changed all that and won 20 majors obliterating Sampras record, not surpassed, smashed it. And he's not even finished yet.

Advertisement