Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Luas: Badly designed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    That would be seriously annoying for all people living close enough to the Luas to hear it .

Not high pitched but like a cat bell....

Just enough for the rodents.... I mean people... To hear

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not high pitched but like a cat bell....

Just enough for the rodents.... I mean people... To hear

Any bell loud enough to shift the eejits with headphones etc on would wake the kids in nearby homes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Should have built more of it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Paulzx wrote: »
    What's the problem with the Luas signalling systems? I'm not aware of one incident involving the Luas where the tram itself broke a signal

Well, apart from the crash with the bus on O'Connell St but the driver was acquitted on direction of the judge due to a degree of conflict in evidence

Gulliver wrote: »
    Is there any breakdown of where the unfortunate pedestrians were from? I'm just wondering if it was tourists or non-locals who weren't familiar with the system who got killed.

Unfortunate blind pedestrians you mean?

Ones who might not see the tracks or the tram?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

Too many stops is my gripe. And if they could add a short spur so it passes nearer to my house, that’d be great.

Well, apart from the crash with the bus on O'Connell St but the driver was acquitted on direction of the judge due to a degree of conflict in evidence

Eh the Luas ran a signal.

The bus had a green light.

Eh the Luas ran a signal.

The bus had a green light.

Eh, I'm not sure you read the post I quoted.

It said "I'm not aware of one incident involving the Luas where the tram itself broke a signal".

And I said "apart from the one where it crashed into the bus".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It could do with a bell sounding all the time.

If you're on the luas in town the driver usually keeps sounding the bell all the time, because of rampant jaywalking. Often they don't even look right or left it's quite a sight.

People are so used to jaywalking and the cars accommodating them that they forget the luas cannot brake on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

I saw a tram painted yellow the other day as part of an advertising campaign. It was very visible but actually looked tidy and quite sharp. In Berlin all of the public transport vehicles are painted a similar colour and they look perfectly elegant. It could be a good idea for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

jrmb wrote: »
    I saw a tram painted yellow the other day as part of an advertising campaign. It was very visible but actually looked tidy and quite sharp. In Berlin all of the public transport vehicles are painted a similar colour and they look perfectly elegant. It could be a good idea for Dublin.

Paint them the colour of the line
    I don't know why the line out to cabra wasn't called the yellow line etc
    It's a completely different part of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

The green line was designed to be upgraded to a metro system, with wider reinforced tracks, but then NIMBYism happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Paint them the colour of the line
    I don't know why the line out to cabra wasn't called the yellow line etc
    It's a completely different part of the city

You know that would mean having to repaint every tram every time it crosses the city from green to your yellow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There is nothing as easy to avoid getting run over by as a large vehicle which weighs scores of tons, and does not approach from unexpected directions on unexpected paths. If you can't see the rail lines under your feet, you're probably not going to notice a yellow vehicle 60 feet away and closing.

salmocab wrote: »
    You know that would mean having to repaint every tram every time it crosses the city from green to your yellow

They could use magic paint and have it drive through a car wash and change colours as it crosses town

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You'd be quicker walking than getting the Luas in many areas. Grand for certain parts of Dublin where it can pick up some speed but they made a mess off locating the stops in or around the city centre.

Nobody is going to walk from Henry St to Malbrough St, Dominick or Parnelll to get the Luas towards Grafton St, they'll just walk up instead and it's the same in the other direction. If you're around Grafton St are you going to walk over to Dawson or around the side of Trinity to get the Luas to O'Connell St? Nah, you'll just walk down as sure it's nearly as far.

They should have made it more user friendly and convenient to jump on and off by like the trams are in San Franciscooooo. Abbey St and Jervis were good locations though, so I guess it's just the Green Line city centre stops I think they dropped the ball on.

Anyway, with regards to safety, the stats ain't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭supersaint3

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They could use magic paint and have it drive through a car wash and change colours as it crosses town

My little lad has a jumper and if you rub the picture on it one way it's Darth Vader and the other way it's a stormtrooper....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I think if they painted it red or a luminous color so it would stand out other than grey.
    Also people walking across in front of the Luas with headphones in or on their phone is modern day Darwinism and natural selection at its finest.
    People are stuck to them and I guarantee you if they reviewed the cause of each incident a person on their phone or with headphones in is top of the list

Is this a joke?

D1iMoDFX0AElPzf.jpg

It's covered in a big yellow stripe. It's big, it's shiny in parts, and it runs along the same track every day, just a few minutes apart.

And you want it repainted? Maybe if drivers would just put their phones down and stop breaking red lights, then they'd stop crashing.

Do we need to paint all houses in hi-vis too now, to make it easy for drivers to avoid them?

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1106246238863851520

Hmmm. Definitely time for a complete overhaul of LUAS design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

By its nature, it has to navigate through urban areas with other traffic and pedestrians. I think a certain level of accidents are inevitable and nearly all can't really be pinned on the luas trams. They're running on fixed tracks with clearly defined junctions. I commuted on the luas for years and the and witnessed first hand the amount of wanker behaviour from pedestrians and especially cars at junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

We've had the Luas for over a decade - everyone knows about it, knows where the tracks are and most people know what a tram/train looks like.

Its not the Luas's fault certain pedestrians are idiots or certain drivers don't give a toss about obeying the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

For years, I've lived in cities that are well-connected with many tram lines. Thankfully, have never actually seen someone get run over. But I've seen plenty of near misses with people and cars.

In all cases, it's the f*cking IDIOTS who have no idea how to conduct themselves in traffic.

1.) Tram line (right in front of the stop), bells ringing as the tram approaches and the pedestrian cross light has just turned red. There's a woman standing RIGHT BETWEEN the tracks (no headphones in), fiddling on her phone. The tram got so close the driver had to honk the horn and scares the sh!t out of her. She leaps forward and the tram just about misses slicing her foot off.

2.) Bunch of people waiting to cross. Pedestrian light is taking too long to turn green (it's Germany, so people tend to obey them a bit more...) people are hit with a sudden surge of impatience just as the tram is inches away. They run across the track like headless f*cking chickens and the driver has to honk the horn and break suddenly. They basically just run out in front of him. Morons.

3.) Traffic lights for cars turn green. One car stops completely on the tram lines, your man just sitting there scratching his balls or whatever. Tram pulls away from the station, starts ringing its bells really loudly. Car ignores it until its really close, then bombs away and nearly knocks a pedestrian off the footpath.

No, trams/trains are not badly designed. In fact, they're the safest form of public transport. Sure, they have accidents but cars have more fatalities. You can easily avoid it by NOT WALKING ON THE DAMN RAIL LINES which is easy to do. Especially in a city like Dublin where there aren't many to begin with.

There's talk of banning cars from Cologne city center which I'd definitely support. It would make it more cyclist friendly too and easier to get around. Driving through the center of any busy city is a pain in the arse anyway. It's usually much faster to cycle or get a tram (not a buses though).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

as with most things, idiot people are the problem.

also, like in other countries, the sooner we start putting cameras overlooking yellow boxes and fining vehicles that stop in them and cause Luas delays, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

OneArt wrote: »
    For years, I've lived in cities that are well-connected with many tram lines. Thankfully, have never actually seen someone get run over. But I've seen plenty of near misses with people and cars.

Was going to say this - tram lines work almost exactly in the same way more or less everywhere (sure, there ARE cities where they're segregated and classified as "light railways"), I don't see why Dublin has to somehow be the exception where it "can't work". Sounds to me like the same silly opposition to building apartments I keep hearing.

OneArt wrote: »
    In all cases, it's the f*cking IDIOTS who have no idea how to conduct themselves in traffic.

[cut]

2.) Bunch of people waiting to cross. Pedestrian light is taking too long to turn green (it's Germany, so people tend to obey them a bit more...) people are hit with a sudden surge of impatience just as the tram is inches away. They run across the track like headless f*cking chickens and the driver has to honk the horn and break suddenly. They basically just run out in front of him. Morons.

[cut]

Yeah this - you can hardly fault the tram line design for people being stupider than farm animals.

Something like this happened to be a few years ago in Cork, on the quay at the junction between Pana and Patrick's hill. I was stopped at the red light, people crossing; The little man turns red, people stop but I spot this moronic arsehole of an hippie, wearing gigantic noise canceling headphones, walking down at a pace towards the light - as my light turns green, he just crosses without even looking...and everyone follows behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe we need more hi-vis on the bridges too? Let's just hi-vis everything, just to make certain that drivers don't have to actually pay attention to their driving.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1106552162702815232?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You can say the Luas wasn't responsible for these other incidents in some legal sense, but the system certainly did result in new risks to road-users.
    New risks? Like 'don't walk out in front of vehicles'? I'd have thought that was a fairly basic concept that anyone born outside of rural Mongolia would have come across.

kylith wrote: »
    New risks? Like 'don't walk out in front of vehicles'? I'd have thought that was a fairly basic concept that anyone born outside of rural Mongolia would have come across.

I think even in rural Mongolia they would know to step aside if a horse came galloping by

Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It was designed and done wrong from the start. It should have been put up of stilts like the metro system in Sydney for instance. That way it would not have taken up the road space that it did and that could have still been used too so the traffic in the city would have been reduced as some people that drove in would now be able to use the trams that go along on tracks built up high over the roads not on them and there would not have to have been as many changes to traffic into the city so the vehicles would move along better now with less vehicles on it. But no they said it would be anti-social lol as if anyone getting on the Luas these day are social anyway with there eyes and ears addicted to there devices.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

They have almost identical system in Nice

Advertisement