Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books about Nationalist Women during the Troubles?

• 09-09-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I was watching a video on Facebook advertising Channel 4's documentary on the Ballymurphy Massacre. The daughter of the late Joan Connelly was speaking, and mentioned that women in Nationalist areas warned everyone when the British were entering the area by banging bin lids together, blowing whistles, shouting etc.

It got me thinking if there are any books/documentaries available that focus on Nationalist women at this time and their actions?

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/246248239413331/ (This is the link to the video)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A recent issue of History Today had an article focusing on Women's roles during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

A film rather than a book, but the documentary on IRA bomber Dolours Price, 'I, Dolours', is currently out in the cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vgf1995

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Maria McGuire's memoirs of her brief time in the PIRA at the start of the Troubles is also worth a look if you can find. It's relatively old and hasn't been reprinted, but you might be able to get it from a library.

She later became a Tory councillor in Croydon. Go figure.

mcguire.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Don't forget Gobnait Ni Bhruadair, who carried the same battle-scar as Forrest Gump! I'm unaware of any book, but there are several articles on her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is there anything on Cumann na mBan during the Troubles? I've read articles but haven't come across any books. Or did the 1986.. divergence.. take away the interest

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Nell McCafferty’s autobiography is very good on what was happening in Derry at the time.

Advertisement