Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffiths Valuation/Land register records

• 05-09-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Are there any land records/details for plots of land in co. roscommon after 1855? or even details of when houses/buildings were built?

Im doing my family tree and trying to find out the history of an old cottage that generations of my family have been born and reared in. The farm was split between bothers at some stage after 1955 and before 1900 (probably closer to 1855), but iv hit a wall in getting any info between those years. Im pretty certain I know who built the house, i just dont know when.

id really appreciate any advice or direction as to where i could look next.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Cancelled Valuation books in the Valuation Office, Dublin City might be worth a look.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ok, thank you! I didn't know about them. I'll have a look next time I get up to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Yes, and you will be glad to know that all the 26 counties have now been scanned. 18 of which have been loaded onto computers. So its now much easier to research these records.
    And its free....!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

hblock21 wrote: »
    Yes, and you will be glad to know that all the 26 counties have now been scanned. 18 of which have been loaded onto computers. So its now much easier to research these records.
    And its free....!

I don't suppose they're online somewhere? Or are planned to be?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Not online. Vague plans for them to be.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Email received two days ago from Valuation Office regarding putting the records online -
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]"Currently there are no plans to have the books made available online."[/font]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]"Currently there are no plans to have the books made available online."[/font]

Shame.:(
    They'll really compliment what's already there if and when they are eventually uploaded.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Are the cancellation books available for perusing, or do you need to know specifically what your looking for? I mean, if you wanted to look at a whole townland and trace multiple plots would that be possible?

hjr wrote: »
    Are the cancellation books available for perusing, or do you need to know specifically what your looking for?  I mean, if you wanted to look at a whole townland and trace multiple plots would that be possible?
    You can look at any townland or plot you want and follow the change of ownership. No problem and now that its on a computer even easier than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

You can look at any townland or plot you want and follow the change of ownership. No problem and now that its on a computer even easier than before.

Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭scarepanda

That's perfect!

My crowd are all famers and have all stayed within the same area. The original farmer I'm looking into (going by the 1855 Griffith's valuation) had/rented two plots of land and I'm pretty certain the lands were divided up between his sons, into 4 plots. As far as I'm aware 3 plots are still owned by descendants of those sons, one of which is my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Yes, and you will be glad to know that all the 26 counties have now been scanned. 18 of which have been loaded onto computers.

Any idea which 8 counties aren't? I'm hoping Cavan is one that is.

The 8 that are not on the computer yet are being quality checked so they should be uploaded this year or early next year I presume.

If your planning on paying them a visit just email them to check first. They are very receptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

Does anyone know why there are no plans to put them online, even as a pay site?  They are invaluable but inaccessible for those of us at a distance.

Because genealogy isn't their primary concern.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Does anyone know why there are no plans to put them online, even as a pay site?  They are invaluable but inaccessible for those of us at a distance.

The staff used say that they would go online when all were digitised. Until then they were technically a pilot project. Perhaps the plan has been changed, but I assume they will be online sooner than later.

Yes, and you will be glad to know that all the 26 counties have now been scanned. 17 of which have been loaded onto computers.
    mod9maple wrote: »
    Any idea which 9 counties aren't? I'm hoping Cavan is one that is.

The 17 digitised counties are: Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork City & County, Donegal, Dublin City & County, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Limerick City & County, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo and Tipperary.

This leaves the following counties still awaiting digitisation: Kilkenny, Laois, Leitrim, Longford, Louth, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford and Wicklow.

Is anyone else having problems loading the maps from the AskaboutIreland website? All I get is a white screen. :/

I've tried Chrome and Firefox and nothing.

It hasn't worked for me in years.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It hasn't worked for me in years.

Hmmm, not good. I've tried 4 different browsers and no joy.

Is there anywhere else I can view them? I tried Findmypast but there is no map for the townland I want.

• Advertisement

Do they have them on Ancestry?

I even tried emailing the various addresses but never got a response. John Grenham posted about askaboutireland recently and I commented saying the maps didn't work for me.

We had another thread which mentioned this problem recently. Someone said they work in Firefox.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Do they have them on Ancestry?

I even tried emailing the various addresses but never got a response. John Grenham posted about askaboutireland recently and I commented saying the maps didn't work for me.

We had another thread which mentioned this problem recently. Someone said they work in Firefox.

They don't have them on Ancestry. I'm trying Firefox and it doesn't work.

I have found a roundabout solution. I tried loading a map from various areas in Louth and Armagh and nothing worked. Then I tried in North Kerry and the map loaded. From there I just dragged the map to the location I wanted in the northern counties. The townland I used to load the map was Irramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

mod9maple wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems loading the maps from the AskaboutIreland website? All I get is a white screen. :/

I've tried Chrome and Firefox and nothing.

The maps are working fine for me. When you get the white screen, you need to wait about 30 seconds while it prepares the map.

I've left mine open for 30 minutes and had nothing load.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

The maps are still working fine for me using Google chrome. I'm looking at maps in the Connacht. Is it specific areas that are having problems maybe? Give me an example of a person whose maps aren't loading for. I can look them up and see if it's still working. I don't know what to tell you. The maps are still working for a lot of people so maybe it's some sort of problem with your computer or internet or firewall or something that isn't installed that's preventing you viewing them? I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Maps work on Safari. Sometimes they take you to a place a few miles away so that you have to scroll over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Maps are opening for me also in Chrome. I did a random search for a John Murphy in Louth and after a short delay, the map opened.

I'm not particularly searching for anyone.

I have tried on multiple computers (3) in both Chrome and IE over at least 2 years. I've actually given up using the site for looking at the maps.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Tried the maps a few minutes ago, it took 25 seconds for the map to appear, but I also have had longer times recently.

I suspect it is a victim of its own success, many more people are using it, without any increase of capacity, so is slower. The time it takes definitely varies, probably according to number of users at any given time.

• Advertisement

Just as an experiment, do you open the small or large map view?

I searched for Thomas Lamb in Malahide and clicked on the first entry small map. Blank square for about 30 seconds, then the corner info appears (guide to maps, the slider scale, etc) but no image. I've left it open in a browser window...nothing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement