Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

• 26-01-2016 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has thought on this area

Have looked at these houses and they look to be of very good build quality, the interior is lovely and the BER is very good. Prices seem reasonable for the location . I have smallish children and would have a concern about them living in a dense area so close to water, but then again it not like you can really let them outside unsupervised anywhere else in D7 unless you have a decent back garden . I took a walk up there the other day and noticed a well known Dublin "Diner" (not ERs ..I wish)...Chipper is going to open soon. I would not mind so much but it has a very tacky signage . Just wondering if anyone has bought here or is thinking about it , any tips or advice on the area for anyone living there already

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

minkey wrote: »
    Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has thought on this area

Have looked at these houses and they look to be of very good build quality, the interior is lovely and the BER is very good. Prices seem reasonable for the location . I have smallish children and would have a concern about them living in a dense area so close to water, but then again it not like you can really let them outside unsupervised anywhere else in D7 unless you have a decent back garden . I took a walk up there the other day and noticed a well known Dublin "Diner" (not ERs ..I wish)...Chipper is going to open soon. I would not mind so much but it has a very tacky signage . Just wondering if anyone has bought here or is thinking about it , any tips or advice on the area for anyone living there already

Thanks

Suss out TV and Broadband providers anyways. Loads of problems in the Ashtown region where broadband/TV providers are limited, and empty promises handed out about opening up to UPC or Sky. Alot of the existing apartments use storage/electric heaters. I'd avoid these like the plague, if thats what they have in store for the new Royal Canal Park builds.

As for the area, I've previously lived in Ashtown (right in the village) and in pelletstown manor which is at the Royal Canal Park end of Ashtown. Royal Canal Park itself never appealed to me, as it was just a bit remote, no real shops and lacked any sort of a community. Its a commuter area in every sense (no cafe, restaurant, parks, pubs etc). All the above, coupled with Broombridge being your local train station would put me off living there (station is consistently vandalised).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

We're looking at it too and think we'll be going for it.

Live in Ashtown at the moment and agree with some of what Blackknight says but think the addition of the new houses at the Royal Canal Park end will help to make a big difference there. It's a bit of a gamble on the future, and the last purchasers in RCP got a bit screwed by the same gamble, but nevertheless . . .

Broombridge does suck as a station at the moment but the Luas will be there in less than two years (they're building it at the moment, otherwise I wouldn't count on it), which means including a 15 minute walk it'll be 25 minutes to O'Connell St, or 36 minutes to Stephens Green. It's also 10 minutes from the M50, so for any future job moves, I feel like we're well covered.

Parks wise, there's a new park going in as part of the development which is included in the local area development plan (less likely to disappear when the builders decide they want to build on it), it's also next to the canal and it's very close to the Tolka River Valley park which I love but no one else seems to know exists. There's also a new access point going into the Tolka River Valley Park from the new park which helps. They seem to have started the landscaping for that on river road so there's good hope it'll actually happen.

Shops and businesses wise. There's a centra & creche already which is close to Phase 1 and Phase 2. There is a village centre there where no business has ever really managed to set up (except the about to open take away). With the new houses in this development plus the other planned developments in the area I think there's some chance of that improving. As it is, we tend to stop in SuperValu Ashtown on the way home (driving) anyway, so it's not a total dealbreaker if it doesn't happen.

Schools wise, the Pelletstown educate together has started and is at junior infants level. They've no proper building yet, but at least it exists as a school. A site is identified but no planning permission in. Being pessimistic, I'd say there's a 50% chance that it'll be 10 years before a school is built but my sisters were in a similar situation in primary school and it seemed to work ok. The proposed location is a 10 minute walk from Phase 1 & Phase 2, current location (beside SuperValu) is a bit more awkward but still manageable.

There's a few other developments slated for the area that pique my interest but which I don't count on - the new train station at Royal Canal Park itself. This is apparently at design stage, and will include a footbridge to Ashington. If it happens, it'll make Tesco Cabra, the Cabra Library and all the bus routes on the Navan road 15 minutes walk. There's also a plan to build a proper cycle route along the whole royal canal, which would make the journey to town very convenient.

Overall for the location and price I think it's a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onclephil

We've just finished making a deposit for one of the 3 beds.
    I think the previous poster did sum it up quite well, the only real gamble is the neighbourhood itself but that being said RCP checked all the other boxes for us (size, efficiency, pricing, no refurbishment needed, train accessibility and close enough to town center.).
    If you're going for it though, be mindful of 2 things: flooring is not included and the 4 bed show-house roof looks a bit dodge if you pay close attention...
    The next phase is going on sale quite soon (if not already) but last time I checked a couple of 4 beds are still available from previous phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Sorry Folks, just started following and still have to go through the whole thread. Are there also new apartments in the development?

There will be apartments but only as part of the final (or nearly final) phase.
    At the moment it's just houses.

The total on the planning permission is 152 houses and 91 apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

There will be apartments but only as part of the final (or nearly final) phase.
    At the moment it's just houses.

The total on the planning permission is 152 houses and 91 apartments.

That's a good news, thanks! Do you have any link where to find such infos?

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

Search for Planning Reference 3069/14

The location of the blocks is easily visible here - http://royalcanalpark.com/site-plan/ but no details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

onclephil wrote: »
    If you're going for it though, be mindful of 2 things: flooring is not included and the 4 bed show-house roof looks a bit dodge if you pay close attention...

How so?

Tiles gone missing or coming off...probably not nailed, no overhang on the front which feels weird to me... But I suppose it's nothing major and there are probably good reasons for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think the previous poster did sum it up quite well, the only real gamble is the neighbourhood itself but that being said RCP checked all the other boxes for us (size, efficiency, pricing, no refurbishment needed, train accessibility and close enough to town center.).
    The next phase is going on sale quite soon (if not already) but last time I checked a couple of 4 beds are still available from previous phases.

Flooring would not be included in 99.9% of new developments in this country. Back in the 'olden' days you got tiling allowances etc but not anymore.

The winds we have had over the Kat few days were strong. Even well established estates have had damage to tiles, in my own estate I've seen a few smashed tiles on the road this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 addrian

I think the previous poster did sum it up quite well, the only real gamble is the neighbourhood itself but that being said RCP checked all the other boxes for us (size, efficiency, pricing, no refurbishment needed, train accessibility and close enough to town center.)

Is your house part of Phase 1? The agents told us that first houses should be ready sometime in February. I am really interested about the quality of the work there.

Nope, ours is on Phase 2, delivery end-of-march/April.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Anyone know what the plans are for this development regarding future phases (when they are launching and what mix will be available)?

Might be in the position in about a year/towards the end of the year all going to plan to buy and like the look of the area. Would be considering a 3 bed. Afraid to contact the agent as I don't want to get spammed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Anyone know what the plans are for this development regarding future phases (when they are launching and what mix will be available)?

Might be in the position in about a year/towards the end of the year all going to plan to buy and like the look of the area. Would be considering a 3 bed. Afraid to contact the agent as I don't want to get spammed!

no worry about that. they dont reply to calls or emails and if you're not mortgage approved you get a polite lie of "we will be in touch regarding one of the future developments in this area".

The first phase is the top left two blocks here - http://royalcanalpark.com/site-plan/ with the top one ready to move in end of Jan (middle of Feb) and the one below ready to move in mid March (late April).

The next phase is to be released in January, but obviously that'll be at least February.
    It's not completely clear how large that phase will be, whether it's just the Royal Canal Avenue/Phelan Park block or whether there'll be more to it.

After that they said July I think, which is probably September. That may complete the site or there may be another phase after that. There were 29 houses in the first two blocks so I'd say the odds are good.

Even if they're all gone from the Royal Canal Park end, take a look at planning application 3666/15 on http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

It's up the Rathborne end but also lots of houses and apartments. It hasn't got final approval yet, but it will do eventually and the house types are very similar.

There's also a third site between Royal Canal Park/Cassian Court & Rathborne Avenue/Ashtown which will almost certainly be developed at some stage, but has no new planning application as yet. (It's where the school is planned to go too).

In short, there will be options into the future, though if being close to the Luas is among your priorities, get in sooner rather than later.
    The total planned population for the area is just over 6k, current pop (2011 census) 3.2k.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

There's a few other developments slated for the area that pique my interest but which I don't count on - the new train station at Royal Canal Park itself. This is apparently at design stage,.

^^^^

This would be amazing. I also heard from a LUAS drive of the LUAS station being up at Campbells Tyres as the LUAS driver want nothing to do with Broombridge. Probably no truth in it but it would make me so happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I looked at the 3 and 4 bed houses in this development in early Dec. As mentioned above the houses themselves are nicely finished and laid out and the area is convenient and suitable to our needs.
    However what dissuaded me was:
    1) The tiny out of proportion back gardens with no shed or space to build one
    2) No communal garage/storage for bicycles or other items
    3) Only one car parking spot per house with an option to buy another in the area
    4) Management fees in the region of €1k per year which included bins and "security" with the option of using an onsite gym in the apartment complex.

The perpetual and expensive management fees for a private dwelling house was the real deal breaker.

John Mason wrote: »
    ^^^^

This would be amazing. I also heard from a LUAS drive of the LUAS station being up at Campbells Tyres as the LUAS driver want nothing to do with Broombridge. Probably no truth in it but it would make me so happy!

They'd have to bring the Luas tracks across both the existing rail line and canal. I'd rate that as extremely unlikely.

As far as I know Phase 1 + Phase 2 were released in November for sale
    Phase 1 expected to be delivered in Feb
    Phase 2 in March/April

Phase 3 is planned to be released for sale in February
    Delivery expected for July

Based on the brochure, there seems to be about 4 more after Phase 3 (1 and 2 being quite small compared with the rest). I don't see that going faster then the end of the year.

Anyway, the best thing we'll be to ask the agents. I didn't get any SPAM from them so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I looked at the 3 and 4 bed houses in this development in early Dec. As mentioned above the houses themselves are nicely finished and laid out and the area is convenient and suitable to our needs.
    However what dissuaded me was:
    1) The tiny out of proportion back gardens with no shed or space to build one
    2) No communal garage/storage for bicycles or other items
    3) Only one car parking spot per house with an option to buy another in the area
    4) Management fees in the region of €1k per year which included bins and "security" with the option of using an onsite gym in the apartment complex.

The perpetual and expensive management fees for a private dwelling house was the real deal breaker.

The back gardens seemed to me to be about normal for modern developments.
    The air source heating unit took up a bit of space though, and I wonder what it sounds like in operation.

The fact that they have air source heating would mean that Gas is never going to be an option in this estate. I read mixed reviews about air source heating, if its working correctly it is very good, but if its not operating at 100% then you could end up paying a lot more in electricity and need to get it serviced at which point some of the parts can be expensive.. again this was internet searching.
    The brand of the system is stiebel eltron. It's basically an air conditioning system running in reverse.

I also noticed the damage to the eaves of one of the show units, The roof design itself is somewhat non traditional, who would be responsible for organising the repairs? The management company or the home owner?

To be honest the very existence of a management company puts me on edge as it suggests people will just leave all maintenance to them and not give a toss.
    I currently rent an apartment and don't have a high opinion of management companies.

With regard to bike parking, some of the houses that are end of terrace have a side gate, but the rest would appear to be landlocked. I guess it would be an issue for sure.

I assume there are communal bin facilities, but I didn't see them, perhaps they haven't built them yet?

I read the planning documents, some of the complaints from the existing management company and residents mention that the existing gym is at capacity and in fact there was supposed to be a second gym provided for the second phase of apartments and this was not provided.

Parking is also going to be an issue because many of the areas being developed were previously allocated to overflow parking for the existing apartments.

• Advertisement

Looks like phase 2 is launching on February 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Prices are going up by 5k on the three beds, haven't heard about the four beds yet but there seems to be a lot less interest on those so maybe they won't.

I can't understand the layout of the four beds at all. They're enormous houses that are really well laid out yet for some reason, there's hardly room to sit at the kitchen table and nowhere else to put it. The end of terrace four beds seem to be better but you lose the snug on the ground floor and airing room on the second floor.

I mailed Luas Cross city about the security of the towpath between RCP and Luas Broombridge (emphasis is theirs):
    Under the proposed Royal Canal Greenway Plan lighting and security along the canal will be upgraded. The plan includes a cycleway which will run from the Docklands as far as Ashtown and will connect to the Grand Canal Greenway, which is already complete. The plan is subject to government funding and the earliest start date for the upgrade from Cross Guns Bridge to Ashtown is likely to be late 2017. The Luas Cross City project is due to open around the same time at the end of 2017.

There have already been significant improvements to the environment as a result of the regular volunteer group clean ups and the co-operative efforts of all the authorities represented on the Royal Canal Development Group. However, the group have no dedicated funding and further significant improvements are likely to be dependent on the Greenway project being implemented.

Sherry Fitz are making such a half-hearted effort at selling those houses. The girls in the show houses know absolutely nothing (where are the TV points, why don't you have keys to get out to the garden) and are bored silly. The ladies in the marketing office don't know a whole pile else (how much is phase 2, how many units of each type are being built, how do TV and Internet companies work, what will the make-up of the management company be and what will their responsibilities be). Nicola in the main office never returns my calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 139

I feel your pain. Couldn't get a straight answer re parking. We have two cars but unless we buy house with two car spaces then we have no guarantee of parking. They said there would be ample parking but wont say how many. I see 34 on the site plan. E/A seem annoyed if you ask questions, unbelievable. Did they confirm new prices? I was told they would reveal on the morning of launch!!!!😠

Agreed on the estate agents being utterly useless. It takes three phone calls on one day to get a return phone call. The whole "sales pitch", including the brochure is shoddy.

For parking look at the planning permission. In fact for everything look at the planning permission, even if the EA's would give answers you shouldn't believe em. There's no contractual obligation based on what they say. That said, the final parking info is buried in the compliance drawings and I can't find it right now. No matter how many parking spaces are visitor parking, if you think you'll need two spaces then pay the E10K extra for peace of mind. With the apartment blocks etc. around and the other new construction planned, you'll never regret buying a house with two if there's any chance you'll use them.

For the canal path, I found this discussion: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98638736
    It sounds like ASB isn't too much of a problem currently. As a rule of thumb I never trust any development plans that aren't currently on site being built. I do think that with the Luas finishing at Broombridge and the additional development in Pelletstown, that stretch of canal will be better trafficed and thus generally safe at commuting times from the numbers walking it.

On the kitchens in the Heron & Ash. It took me weeks to realise but the general layout & size of the Ash and Heron is identical with two exceptions. The Heron has the bay window & the Ash has double doors between the kitchen and sitting room. The kitchen in both is a good size, but the layout of the kitchen itself in both is poor. I think the problem is that the kitchen that works for the room - a straight line of cabinets against the long wall doesn't look nice for a show house so they've gone with the silly island arrangement that divides the room. A straight line of cabinets that would give plenty of storage, a lovely open room and plenty of space for a huge table. The other alternative would be to fully take down the wall between the sitting room & kitchen. It's not structural so shouldn't be a problem (but ask an engineer who's using their degree rather than me).

It seems that they increased the price for 3 bed houses with 20K. Based on the email notification the lowest price will be 315K. I think that is quite pricy for the area and for a terraced house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I feel a price increase is not justified. The area doesn't really have an awful lot going for it and while the houses are very good they also have a few too many potential problems, most of which stem from the 'townhouse' issue where you are buying a house but it has all the negatives that come with owning an apartment.

I would recommend reading all the planning documents anyway. They can help you with questions to ask the sales team.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 139

Just spotted an article on Irish times. 3 beds at 315 to 325. Think it's too much of a hike for us coupled with small garden, lack of parking and high management fees we are not going ahead. Back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

139 wrote: »
    Just spotted an article on Irish times. 3 beds at 315 to 325. Think it's too much of a hike for us coupled with small garden, lack of parking and high management fees we are not going ahead. Back to the drawing board.

Would that be the article that says
    it is the new train station opening next year that promises a 25-minute bed- to-desk commute time of 25 minutes to Connolly Station that appeals to the first-time-buyers.

Are they referring to the Pelletstown train station which has no funding and no-one knows when it might start work or the Luas stop at Broombridge which opens next year? They seem to be a little confused.

I think it's the no new building "estate agent" travel time.

From Broombridge or Ashtown to Connolly is 10-15minutes on the train depending on how many trains you get stuck behind on the way into Connolly. Either station is about 10 minutes walk on the towpath, so the estate agent total is 25 minutes. In fairness google maps gives much the same estimate, but there's no allowance for any waiting around at the station.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3757264,-6.3144305/Connolly+Station/@53.3636842,-6.2958166,14z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670e8b97631171:0x286e477d7844ba87!2m2!1d-6.2462393!2d53.3528023!3e3

You're also likely to have a bit of a walk to wherever you want to get to from Connolly. Docklands, Pearse & Grand Canal Dock are more useful for commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi so went to the release of phase 2 there on Saturday and have taken the plunge. We managed to get what we were looking for so delighted. All in all I reckon it's a good bet. I got to meet some of my potential neighbours when we were all huddled into one of the showhouses and everyone is of similar mindset. It's a total leap of faith as to how the location will pan out aesthetically and trafficwise plus people have been really stung with new developments and promises in this country so I think there is a bit of healthy skepticism around. The houses themselves I believe are of a very good quality, and at the end of the day all you want is somewhere comfortable and cosy to live. Yes the garden is compact , but the days of large gardens in urban areas are long gone.The new type of air to water heat pump will take getting used too, but I look forward to it. We have been looking at the traditional 3/4 bed semi is the "established" areas for quite some time and to be honest we were just getting worn down viewing Kippy fixer uppers. Cabra is nearby, the park and of course the Luas and train and the 120 bus are on the doorstep so it's all good. I wish I could say the same for the center of Dublin though. I was in O'Connell st lately and along the north keys, and it struck me how grim Dublin can be ...mind you it had rained non stop for the previous few hours so I suppose anywhere can look grim in that light. Best of luck to anyone who managed to take the plunge

Advertisement