Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are landlords getting away with this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That is how markets work, they are not always fair. Rents were lower a few years ago when supply exceeded demand, now it is the reverse.

I’m conscious that I may be responding to a very young person here, but while you may have a strong social conscience, on this one it may be misplaced, it is not a criminal offence to charge more two years later for the same property as long as regs are followed.

Remember, society owes you nothing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The ad states €680.
    Where is this 7 large coming from???

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

If the rent is too high then tenants will rent elsewhere. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

That’s one hell of a rant from the op, just shows how important it is to give a link as his rant looks silly now. Looks like a nicely renovated one bed apartment. Small but grand for one person and the price looks grand for town centre apartment.

I have to agree. Completely unjustified rant, shown to be such by photos and put into proper context.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

You could *easily* swing a cat in there. No bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ShaneODub wrote: »
    You could *easily* swing a cat in there. No bother.

But the op said "literally" . Does he literally not mean it to be taken literally?

Op is a cat swinger, he shares a room with a monkey puller, lock up your animals, the homies are back in town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

And yeah - Eoghan Murphy, minister for housing - I'm talking to you!

Yawn. Half the problems in this country regarding housing aren't on him tbh, he's just a scapegoat for ****ty councils. What good are laws if they're ignored? It's illegal for landlords to reject people because they need HAP, they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Lol. I pay that for a 72 sqm flat in Berlin (not including heat, water, and other costs which are 200 p/m on top), 5 mins from the centre on the Ubahn. And the government has just introduced a 5 year rent freeze from 2020 to stop spiralling rents (€500k fine for breach by LL)

Good to know I could get such a sweet place in fecking Sligo for the same money.

Dunno how you can rationalise that kinda crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I thought 'large' meant a thousand.
    Seven large means seven thousand, doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

pinksoir wrote: »
    Lol. I pay that for a 72 sqm flat in Berlin (not including heat, water, and other costs which are 200 p/m on top), 5 mins from the centre on the Ubahn. And the government has just introduced a 5 year rent freeze from 2020 to stop spiralling rents (€500k fine for breach by LL)

Good to know I could get such a sweet place in fecking Sligo for the same money.

Interesting. Is the risk for the landlord the same though, I wonder. What happens in Berlin if:
    - the tenant stops paying rent?
    - the tenant causes significant damage to the place?

I’m not sure why you are comparing rents in 2 different markets. Living in Berlin, you know home ownership is extremely low and since the fall of the Berlin Wall, rents in the city are of extremely low by German standards. If you go further East, you would probably get an even bigger apartment for the same price.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/22/germany-berlin-cabinet-agree-five-year-rent-freeze

One of the expected knock on effects is that it will put off investment by developers, reducing supply and raising rents in the long term, sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op.. The solution. Get a mortgage.. Prob 5%.. Buy a site, hire a few builders, and then rent out your A energy rated home for €500. And make sure you don't discriminate when choosing a tenant.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Interesting. Is the risk for the landlord the same though, I wonder. What happens in Berlin if:
    - the tenant stops paying rent?
    - the tenant causes significant damage to the place?

- You get evicted.
    - You have legal action taken against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

- You get evicted.
    - You have legal action taken against you.

So not quite apples to apples comparison then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Pfff - that's the point.

They can, so they do.

Crap rolls down hill.

That don't make it right.

My problem is - it's unjustifiably overpriced; effectively exploitation.

It's not right.
    It's wrong.

Does the common man actually need laws in place to know it's not right to steal/rape/murder?

Is it as far gone as that?
    No.
    Is it on the same spectrum?
    Exploitation for personal gain, for no other reason that, they can?

Resoundingly - yes.

This looks and reads like a poem. Is this a modern take on a Haiku?

*turns on jazz and reads aloud*

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’m not sure why you are comparing rents in 2 different markets. Living in Berlin, you know home ownership is extremely low and since the fall of the Berlin Wall, rents in the city are of extremely low by German standards. If you go further East, you would probably get an even bigger apartment for the same price.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/22/germany-berlin-cabinet-agree-five-year-rent-freeze

One of the expected knock on effects is that it will put off investment by developers, reducing supply and raising rents in the long term, sound familiar?

Yes Berlin is cheap by German standards, and yes home ownership is low here. But we're talking about a box in Sligo here. No way, in any world, is that worth 700 quid. What percentage of an average person's salary in Sligo is that? It's crazy.

It's not just two markets, it's two philosophies on housing. Maybe there's something to be learned.

There's other measures in place to keep rent prices in line in Berlin too (e.g., if your LL is charging over the odds compared to similar properties you are entitled to be paid back the excess and for the rent to be dropped accordingly). But over the last few years prices have been creeping up steadily and the people were up in arms and pressured the gov into doing something.

Rents are cheaper here partly because salaries are lower. The rule that LLs adhere to is that rent is max 30% of net household income. So if rents spiral no one will be able to afford to live here. Something had to be done.

Will freezing rents have knock on effects? Probably. But theres a lot of money to be made here long term on rental income. Maybe the types of investors that want to make a quick buck aren't the type we want in control of our housing stock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

I thought 'large' meant a thousand.
    Seven large means seven thousand, doesn't it?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Dav010 wrote:

Plus Germans aren't a bunch of greedy bastards like the Irish.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    So not quite apples to apples comparison then

But there are extremely strong tenant rights in Berlin, it's very much in favour of the tenant in general. Eviction isn't immediate also, can take up to 6 months and must go through the courts. Costly.

Damage comes out if your deposit. Damage beyond deposit amount can be reclaimed through legal action. Again, costly.

My brother is a LL in Dublin btw, so I know how much if a PITA it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The point is - this place was going for under 500 just two short years ago.
    Due to RPZ rules, you have to bump it up by 4% every year, as you're not allowed to bump it up suddenly when a tenant leaves.
    Other landlords are charging similar rates again, cause there's a shortage.
    And feel entitled/justified in doing so?

Shoot them out of a cannon - give them a little perspective on life.
    So you want LL's to sell it, so that there's less places to rent?

Yes Berlin is cheap by German standards, and yes home ownership is low here. But we're talking about a box in Sligo here. No way, in any world, is that worth 700 quid. What percentage of an average person's salary in Sligo is that? It's crazy.

It's not just two markets, it's two philosophies on housing. Maybe there's something to be learned.

There's other measures in place to keep rent prices in line in Berlin too (e.g., if your LL is charging over the odds compared to similar properties you are entitled to be paid back the excess and for the rent to be dropped accordingly). But over the last few years prices have been creeping up steadily and the people were up in arms and pressured the gov into doing something.

Rents are cheaper here partly because salaries are lower. The rule that LLs adhere to is that rent is max 30% of net household income. So if rents spiral no one will be able to afford to live here. Something had to be done.

Will freezing rents have knock on effects? Probably. But theres a lot of money to be made here long term on rental income. Maybe the types of investors that want to make a quick buck aren't the type we want in control of our housing stock.

Value is subjective and dependent on local markets. I mention going further East, in some of the Eastern Bloc countries, what you are paying may seem a rip off, different economies, different markets.

Home ownership is Berlin is approx 15%, large property companies own huge proportions of the rental properties and as such have been able to double rents in recent years, all problems similar to here.

That “box” as you call it may be a reasonable size for a single bed apartment and in the market where it is located, seems reasonable value.

Average wage here is €38k per year, this apartment would be 21% of that. Of course if you base that on net income, all LLs would look for high earners rather than an average wage.

Plus Germans aren't a bunch of greedy bastards like the Irish.

History would say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

But there are extremely strong tenant rights in Berlin, it's very much in favour of the tenant in general. Eviction isn't immediate also, can take up to 6 months and must go through the courts. Costly.

Where as in Ireland we have the same process but it takes anywhere up to 24 months with no prospect of recovering the costs.
    Damage comes out if your deposit. Damage beyond deposit amount can be reclaimed through legal action. Again, costly.

I was under the impression that in Germany all you got was a shell.

Edit: Berlin's rental freeze doesn't apply to new property, large REITs are driving prices in Dublin, asking prices have become decoupled from what people are actually paying, who aren't renting the top of the top end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Dav010 wrote:
    History would say otherwise.

Nonsense, Germany is much more of a civic minded society than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

OP, your trolling efforts are very sub par lately. Pick up your game ffs.

Where as in Ireland we have the same process but it takes anywhere up to 24 months with no prospect of recovering the costs.

I was under the impression that in Germany all you got was a shell.

Edit: Berlin's rental freeze doesn't apply to new property, large REITs are driving prices in Dublin, asking prices have become decoupled from what people are actually paying, who aren't renting the top of the top end.

I was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, driving back to the airport through the student areas, I asked the taxi driver why there were so many derelict buildings, guess what he said, “ property too expensive, rents to low, so no building”

I knew I read that somewhere about new builds, I think it does not apply to anything built in the last 5 years but I’ll have to find the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, driving back to the airport through the student areas, I asked the taxi driver why there were so many derelict buildings, guess what he said, “ property too expensive, rents to low, so no building”

I knew I read that somewhere about new builds, I think it does not apply to anything built in the last 5 years but I’ll have to find the article.

5 years is also my understanding. They're basically allowing large REITs to come in and do what they're doing in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I tend to agree with OP. Its a shoebox and people make it out as if 680 was nothing.

Yes its 'the market' and all that. But if such is the market that this is deemed 'grand' and 'normal' then there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Population of Berlin has not increased by any significant amount since the Wall came down in 1989. I wouldn't be surprised if the population of Dublin has increased by 50% in the same period - much more pressure on housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I tend to agree with OP. Its a shoebox and people make it out as if 680 was nothing.
    It has a double bed, so would suit a couple. Heck, it would suit a single person.

It's also the cheapest letting in Sligo.

Advertisement