Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are landlords getting away with this??

• 02-11-2019 8:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

'Splain it to me.

Help me understand.

This dump property, west of Ireland - couldn't swing a cat in there (literally), baltic, no proper insulation - I wouldn't put my dog in there.

Horrible horrible place.

700 big ones.

This is not Dublin.

This is not some overpopulated metropolis.

This is some backwater town in the most backwater side to a backwater country (or at least it was until the EU started dumping billions into our economy).

It. is. despicable.

To charge that much for this property.

Housing shortage etc, so they can get away with it.

Be that as it may, that laws allow something like this travesty, they need to be addressed.
    Because it's beyond unscrupulous.

And yeah - Eoghan Murphy, minister for housing - I'm talking to you!

The dutch policy is rent cap per specific square footage.
    Get on it already.
    Otherwise some violated renters might feel inclined to go mob-justice on these unconscionable capitalists/exploiters.

PS - are we allowed to link ads here?
    I wish to link the add, name and the shame the landlord - and let ya'll see what a travesty this is.

I viewed the property a couple years back when it was going for 480.
    Now pickings are thin and they're charging 700.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,875 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

'Splain it to me.

Help me understand.

This dump property, west of Ireland - couldn't swing a cat in there (literally), baltic, no proper insulation - I wouldn't put my dog in there.

Horrible horrible place.

700 big ones.

This is not Dublin.

This is not some overpopulated metropolis.

This is some backwater town in the most backwater side to a backwater country (or at least it was until the EU started dumping billions into our economy).

It. is. despicable.

To charge that much for this property.

Housing shortage etc, so they can get away with it.

Be that as it may, that laws allow something like this travesty, they need to be addressed.
    Because it's beyond unscrupulous.

The dutch policy is rent cap per specific square footage.
    Get on it already.
    Otherwise some violated renters might feel inclined to mob-justice on these unconscionable capitalists/exploiters.

PS - are we allowed to link ads here?
    I wish to link the add, name and the shame the landlord - and let ya'll see what a travesty this is.

I viewed the property a couple years back when it was going for 480.
    Now pickings are thin and they're charging 700.

Cant really comment much when it's a second-opinion with a bit of a rant and no link.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

'Splain !!?

enough of a reason to evict.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Probably be closer to 2000 big ones if it was in dublin its a bargain grab it with both hands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Cant really comment much when it's a second-opinion with a bit of a rant and no link.

https://www.daft.ie/sligo/apartments-for-rent/sligo/john-street-sligo-sligo-1963674/

The photos are taken such as to not convey how small this place is.

See that table crammed against that wall?

That's a reflection of the apartment in its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Isn’t there another thread where you can link ads to hell holes and the likes.

Edit, linked now. Looks ok to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Looks fine for 680 a month like I said bargain

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://www.daft.ie/sligo/apartments-for-rent/sligo/john-street-sligo-sligo-1963674/

See that table crammed against that wall?

That's a reflection of the apartment in its entirety.

It's a small one bed apartment in Sligo for 680 a month.

What's your problem?
    Even someone on full time min wage could afford it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Can’t comment on the insulation but the bathroom and bedroom furniture looks grand.

It does look small but fine for 1 person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nothing jumping out at me there. If it’s overpriced then nobody will take it and the LL will have to adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It looks grand.
    Poorly insulated houses are often cheaper to rent and expensive to heat, but it shouldn't be too hard to heat a house that size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'll agree it's tiny but it does have a lot of new things.

Of course cheap things but a new shower, toilet is a big plus as some of the absolute sheds we had to live in...

It would be ideal for a single person.

On the price point yes for Sligo it's expensive but in Dublin it would be cheap for example.

Pity it's gotten as bad as it is but is it any wonder when workers are fighting to get a roof when those whom don't get one for life....

Half what you pay goes directly to revenue unless the property is owned by a multinational or hedge fund for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Looks half decent, I've lived in a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Also think this looks ok.... Have lived in much worse for more .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

at least youd have it to yourself.

Mod Edit
    This is still the A&P forum.
    Please post within the standards as set out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It looks clean, modern and well maintained in the photos.

You need to look at some Dublin properties with 30 year old thread bare carpets &and 20 year old White paint turned yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Sleeper12 wrote: »

You need to look at some Dublin properties with 30 year old thread bare carpets &and 20 year old White paint turned yellow.

I'd be more worried about mould/damp than cosmetics.. Landlords will usually provide the gallon of paint if you do the monkey work if a coat of paint was the only issue. The cheaper end of the market is usually for ppl looking at price over comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

So what price do you think would be acceptable for this?

I would prefer for the market to dicate the price, and if we had a functioning market it would dicate the price, but instead we have numerous governments who on one hand still see housing as a revenue stream but on the other hand bring in rent caps that act as a very short term bandaid but ultimately actually increase the problem by stifling new stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Sleeper12 wrote: »

This. Also, it's bang in the middle of town, nearly couldn't get more central (except for maybe Johnson's Court apartments, and they're only the other side of the road). The price probably is a bit high, but it's not a total rip off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is there a chance this is some next level subliminal advertising.

I wouldn't mind it, right on top of a load of shops and close to a load of restaurants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

antix80 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about mould/damp than cosmetics.. Landlords will usually provide the gallon of paint if you do the monkey work if a coat of paint was the only issue. The cheaper end of the market is usually for ppl looking at price over comfort.

You are right that mould is a far more serious issue but mostly mould is caused by tenants not opening windows daily as is required.

• Advertisement

• That’s one hell of a rant from the op, just shows how important it is to give a link as his rant looks silly now. Looks like a nicely renovated one bed apartment. Small but grand for one person and the price looks grand for town centre apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    You are right that mould is a far more serious issue but mostly mould is caused by tenants not opening windows daily as is required.

In the winter we would very rarely open windows and never suffered issues of mould.

In rentals with poor to no insulation we opened the windows daily as we had no other choice even though the house was freezing and the heating cost a fortune.

Apartment we were in had no other options to dry clothes other then on a clothes horse.... Never any mould issue at all.

House we were in we never dried clothes inside and mushrooms and huge mould spores were growing on all the interior walls and even around the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That’s one hell of a rant from the op, just shows how important it is to give a link as his rant looks silly now. Looks like a nicely renovated one bed apartment. Small but grand for one person and the price looks grand for town centre apartment.

Looks pretty fresh to me too, not spacious, not decorated to a high standard, but looks clean and nice, in the middle of a reasonably big town, that isn’t bad, it would be at least twice that in a city. Also, a quick look at daft for that area doesn’t show a lot of stock and price for this is in line with others.

Op, by any chance do you live at home?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Looks pretty fresh to me too, not spacious, not decorated to a high standard, but looks clean and nice, in the middle of a reasonably big town, that isn’t bad, it would be at least twice that in a city. Also, a quick look at daft for that area doesn’t show a lot of stock and price for this is in line with others.

What do mean, "live at home"?

As in, with muh parents?

Wut?

Hell no!!

The point is - this place was going for under 500 just two short years ago.

Ya'll okay with paying almost 7 large for that cramped, cold, dump?

Government revenue.

They're justifying high rents for revenue, without investing that revenue in more housing?

Find a better source of revenue!!

Anyone who conforms to the notion of high rent being okay for greater tax remuneration needs to climb back into reality.

There's a thousand sources of potential tax remuneration, which don't involve leaving ordinary people homeless or in poor living conditions.

And hell yeah - there is NOTHING on the market currently - unless you move out to some bog hole.

Other one bed apartments of MUCH higher standard were going for about 650 - up from about 550 two years ago.

This dump going for almost 7 large, up from sub 500.
    Tell that's me that's not bleeding the desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If there isn’t much rental property available, why are you surprised that the cost of rental there has risen? Sligo isn’t a RPZ so rental increases are not capped.

To be honest, it’s hard to understand your vitriol towards this. It looks ok and is in the centre of a town with little rental availability, and it seems to be in line with going rate for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

'

You might be better taking to twitter if you want to talk to him. Hoping he happens upon an anonymous internet forum is inefficient at best.

The point is - this place was going for under 500 just two short years ago.

See , theres your issue, the years are getting longer lately.

This dump going for almost 7 large, up from sub 500.

Also, if you're going to be playing american gangster, you might want to get the lingo down , jive turkey, 7 large is 7 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you said it yourself pickings are thin. supply and demand. its also a stones throw from the centre of sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Looks nice to me, have seen worse in Dublin

• Advertisement

If there isn’t much rental property available, why are you surprised that the cost of rental there has risen? Sligo isn’t a RPZ so rental increases are not capped.

To be honest, it’s hard to understand your vitriol towards this. It looks ok and is in the centre of a town with little rental availability, and it seems to be in line with going rate for the area.

Pfff - that's the point.

They can, so they do.

Crap rolls down hill.

That don't make it right.

My problem is - it's unjustifiably overpriced; effectively exploitation.

It's not right.
    It's wrong.

Does the common man actually need laws in place to know it's not right to steal/rape/murder?

Is it as far gone as that?
    No.
    Is it on the same spectrum?
    Exploitation for personal gain, for no other reason that, they can?

Resoundingly - yes.

Sorry thing is, no one acknowledges their own capitalistic criminality until the law informs them as such.
    And the ministers for this country have overlooked this problem for long enough.
    What do they need to finally implement something? A road flare up their ass?

Other landlords are charging similar rates again, cause there's a shortage.
    And feel entitled/justified in doing so?

Shoot them out of a cannon - give them a little perspective on life.

Advertisement