Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 Passat - Interior Lighting.

• 20-01-2011 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

2005 PASSAT TDI (Not the latest model - last of the 2000-2005 model).

I had the interior lights set to come on when I take the key out of the ignition (and vice versa). This was a huge benefit.

Recently this has stopped working (the switch beside the rear view mirror is still in the correct position).

I can switch on the drivers side lamp or passengers side lamp manually so it's not a bulb problem.

When I open any of the doors the lights on underside of the doors all work OK.

In summary, all the interior lights appear to work independently/manually. Could the switch itself be gone faulty even though I never change teh position of it?

Thanks - Gerry.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

By set the lights to come on when you took the key out you mean you used the selector over you head to do this?

If it is this Passat or the facelifted one
    Volkswagen-Passat-3.jpg

then that lighting switch is a very weak design. The actual mechanism can go on them and cause the lights to feck up.

The lights in my Golf (they share the same lighting cluster) never worked for about 9 months after I bought the car and once I started trying to figure it out I found that a bit of metal had become dislodged and was causing shorts etc.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/VW-PASSAT-INTERIOR-ROOF-SUNROOF-LIGHT-SWITCH-UNIT-/360227966483?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53df428e13

As far as I know it effects these kind of switches more then others but you will have to do a google. I dont mean it having the sunroof switch but the slider to the left.

I had to do a bodge job and put a switch I found in the shed in.
    Your best bet if you are not a DIYer is to go to a breakers and get a new cluster. Fit it into the Passat, test it, then pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Do other items such as the radio switch off when you remove the key from the ignition switch? Leave the radio on, turn the engine off - radio should still be on - withdraw the key and the radio should switch off.

If it doesn't then it may be a problem with the S contact in the ignition switch (D) which will probably mean that you will need a new switch.

Have you had a diagnosis check done on the Convenience ECU?

bbk wrote: »
    By set the lights to come on when you took the key out you mean you used the selector over you head to do this?

If it is this Passat or the facelifted one
    Volkswagen-Passat-3.jpg

then that lighting switch is a very weak design. The actual mechanism can go on them and cause the lights to feck up.

The lights in my Golf (they share the same lighting cluster) never worked for about 9 months after I bought the car and once I started trying to figure it out I found that a bit of metal had become dislodged and was causing shorts etc.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/VW-PASSAT-INTERIOR-ROOF-SUNROOF-LIGHT-SWITCH-UNIT-/360227966483?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53df428e13

As far as I know it effects these kind of switches more then others but you will have to do a google. I dont mean it having the sunroof switch but the slider to the left.

I had to do a bodge job and put a switch I found in the shed in.
    Your best bet if you are not a DIYer is to go to a breakers and get a new cluster. Fit it into the Passat, test it, then pay for it.

Thanks BBK - Light switch is similar to the one in your Ebay link but my car doesn't have a sunroof. I will have a closer look at the switch contacts etc at the week-end.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Do other items such as the radio switch off when you remove the key from the ignition switch? Leave the radio on, turn the engine off - radio should still be on - withdraw the key and the radio should switch off.

If it doesn't then it may be a problem with the S contact in the ignition switch (D) which will probably mean that you will need a new switch.

Have you had a diagnosis check done on the Convenience ECU?

Thanks crosstownk.

Radio gets killed when I take keys out.
    I have not had a diag done on Convenience ECU. I presume this is separate from the main ECU? Car was serviced with TB etc done about 3 months ago - guess this Convenience Module would not show up in regular checks?

• Advertisement

golfbgud wrote: »
    Thanks BBK - Light switch is similar to the one in your Ebay link but my car doesn't have a sunroof. I will have a closer look at the switch contacts etc at the week-end.

It is probably a wide spread problem with the general switch design across that range.

What you are describing is exactly what was wrong with my wagon.
    I could switch on the reading lights but the main one never lit.

If you do find there is a problem with the switch nag me over and over (so I dont forget :p ) and I will upload a picture of my fix if you are a keen enough DIYer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks crosstownk.

Radio gets killed when I take keys out.
    I have not had a diag done on Convenience ECU. I presume this is separate from the main ECU? Car was serviced with TB etc done about 3 months ago - guess this Convenience Module would not show up in regular checks?

Yep - it's a separate ECU but usually most diagnosis checks would interrogate all ECUs unless the mechanic/technician specifically checked certain ECUs. Normally I would run a global test which is what VW would recommend.

Even at that a fault may not be recognised but as you are reporting a fault the tech could perform certain tests to try and isolate the offending component.

Wait and see what bbk's fix is - it may be the most cost effective option provided you can do it yourself.

It is probably a wide spread problem with the general switch design across that range.

If you do find there is a problem with the switch nag me over and over (so I dont forget :p ) and I will upload a picture of my fix if you are a keen enough DIYer.

Took the switch unit off tonight and had a look. Pictures attached. Done a few continuity checks and all appeared OK. Took off switch contacts and cleaned same. Put unit back but no joy. As I don't have another one to compare it against I cannot say if there's a piece of metal broken off/missing?

So, in summary, unless there's a piece of the tracks broken off/missing I would deem the switch unit as operational?

Next steps..........

The image attached shows the contacts (marked with a red arrow) that come into play when the switch is in the "door" position......

I'm here to "nag" and am handy enough at repairs........thanks.

• Advertisement

Anyone? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Have a look at this link
    http://nackuk.blogspot.com/2010/06/with-some-of-interior-lights-puddle.html

This is your problem without doubt. Happens to almost every passat and skoda superb mk1 of that vintage.
    Expensive fix too.

Have a look at this link
    http://nackuk.blogspot.com/2010/06/with-some-of-interior-lights-puddle.html

This is your problem without doubt. Happens to almost every passat and skoda superb mk1 of that vintage.
    Expensive fix too.

That's a great article - thanks. I haven't looked at the floor as yet (too busy at work). Not looking forward to this either if that's the problem!

Here are pics of my fix.

I used a general switch you get with deskside lamps. You should be able to pick one up at Maplin.

I had to make a modification to it. I had to put another contact into the switch. The power goes in one way and then either supplies power straight to the lights and the other to the circuitry that sets the lights on when the door opens. I think.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ip65-centre-off-rocker-switch-98092

That way centre is off. I is lights on with doors and II is lights on for when you need to read summet.

Here are pics of my fix.

I used a general switch you get with deskside lamps. You should be able to pick one up at Maplin.

I had to make a modification to it. I had to put another contact into the switch. The power goes in one way and then either supplies power straight to the lights and the other to the circuitry that sets the lights on when the door opens. I think.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ip65-centre-off-rocker-switch-98092

That way centre is off. I is lights on with doors and II is lights on for when you need to read summet.

Thanks for this - I will investigate the water seepage when I get a chance. Noticed today that all lights are now dead - doors, visors etc...

Thanks for this - I will investigate the water seepage when I get a chance. Noticed today that all lights are now dead - doors, visors etc...

Feel for ya buddy and hope its not the dreaded water ingress problem. If it is and you can't do the work yourself put about a grand to one side.

Trying to get a feel for timing here...

(1) What is next item to go or stop working after the interior lights?

(2) What are he do's and don't with regards to disconnecting the airbag wires etc under the seat?

(3) If I take out passenger seat and dont get job finished over weekend, can I drive car for a week with seat out and airbag disconnected while floor/carpet is drying out? Will it throw up a light fault / error code?

Thanks All.

Trying to get a feel for timing here...

(1) What is next item to go or stop working after the interior lights?

(2) What are he do's and don't with regards to disconnecting the airbag wires etc under the seat?

(3) If I take out passenger seat and dont get job finished over weekend, can I drive car for a week with seat out and airbag disconnected while floor/carpet is drying out? Will it throw up a light fault / error code?

Thanks All.

Central locking followed by the electronic boot pull ( Don't know what was wrong with a cable). There should be just an electrical plug under the seat, don't remember any particular dos and don'ts but you may want to ask a better mechanic than me. When you have this out lift the carpet and check the convenience control module, its in a little black box under the carpet where the seat was. If there is water in this box you may need to replace the ccm. If not check all the nodes in the wiring loom for detritus (green corrosion). If corroded remove the wire back as far as the damage goes and replace it, soldering the joints and sealing them back with a heat shrink. Do all these before buying a ccm and if that doesn't cure the problem then consider a new ccm.

Thanks Juniorhurler.

I have no experience of airbags but figured it was more than just pull the connector apart (although I would be delighted if it were this simple).

Looks like I will lose a week-end soon if I want to sort out this problem......

• Advertisement

Problem was water ingress OK.....

(1) Both rubber bungs under battery blocked.

(2) Channels on rhs of pollen filter blocked with leaves and gunge.

Water was abundant in both front and back footwells....

CCM Module has suffered....

Connector damage on cable and CCM...

And more...

Ran out of time and had to re-assemble bits.

I was hoping that cable repairs on CCM might resolve but not the case.....

Question is, is it bad cable connections in the loom or is the CCM knackered or a combination of both??

Anyone know/understand the function of the "CAN BUS" wires/circuits which are linked to the CCM Module?

Are the lights simply 12v to the bulbs and the switches make the circuit to Ground or is it more complicated?

Thanks.

Another thread....

http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/

Addressing the source of blocked drains.....

Did ya get sorted?

• Advertisement

Did ya get sorted?

No, not yet. Repaired two connections on the CCM but that didnt sort it. Might get a scan done and see if its "alive" although central locking etc still works?

Advertisement