Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dana really is a ****ebag, providing he's not talking out of his hole as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

He'll only come back for GSP imo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

xtal191 wrote:
    He'll only come back for GSP imo
    Yeah, no chance he'd move up to welterweight and take on a good grappler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Dana really is a ****ebag, providing he's not talking out of his hole as usual.

Don't think he is. Khabib manager Ali was on Twitter Monday night saying the title isn't vacant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Esse85 wrote: »
    Dana putting public pressure on Khabib already, hardly surprising for him to pull a stunt like that.
    Can't see him changing his mind.

All along Khabib and his father spoke about 30 fights and then thinking about retirement. During fight week, he said he want to keep fighting.
    I was surprised he called it at 29. I won't be shocked if he goes to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eagle eye wrote: »

Because GSP is/was, of course, a featherweight with poor grappling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

eagle eye wrote: »

It's quite admirable how dedicated you are but please just shut up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads the bickering is getting tiresome..I have no problem banning a few of you for a week or two for the sake of some peace and quiet if you can't have a normal discussion like grown adults. That's directed at everyone..so cut out the nonsense or you will find yourself on a break, and once you go on a break they only get longer the next time until its permanent one. If you aren't able to have a proper discussion then maybe do yourself a favour and just don't post here and take it to reddit or Sherdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mellor wrote: »
    All along Khabib and his father spoke about 30 fights and then thinking about retirement. During fight week, he said he want to keep fighting.
    I was surprised he called it at 29. I won't be shocked if he goes to 30.

That's right, I fully expected 30 fights too.

I would be shocked if he does 30 fights now and goes back on what he said in the ring, I get he was emotional, but announcing you made a promise with your mother is big pressure to keep that promise.
    His only way out of it is to say his mother gave him permission to fight again and even that doesn't sound great.
    Giving your word, respecting your elders and being truthful is highly valued in Khabib's world.

I hope he does fight again, I'm sure Dana clearly does too, to see a guy so talented at what he does, head and shoulders above anyone in his weight class is a pleasure to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Khabib and McGregor will fight again in future. Don't be fooled by Khabib isn't in it for the money he is a prizefighter and a business man at the end of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't get the hunger for a GSP fight, I'm sure GSP is still great at almost 40.... but he's almost 40. Khabib beating him now doesn't really do much for me.

Equally not sure who else he would fight. Outside of the same punchers KO chance that McGregor or Justin had, I can't see Tony offering anything fresh and him going the same way as Porier....and he doesn't even have that same chance those first two had either.

Tony makes the most sense though.

Charles Oliveira would make a good scrap too I feel but ranking might be a bit far out.

Homelander wrote: »
    I don't get the hunger for a GSP fight, I'm sure GSP is still great at almost 40.... but he's almost 40. Khabib beating him now doesn't really do much for me.

Equally not sure who else he would fight. Outside of the same punchers KO chance that McGregor or Justin had, I can't see Tony offering anything fresh and him going the same way as Porier....and he doesn't even have that same chance those first two had either.

Charles Oliveira would make a good scrap too I feel but ranking might be a bit far out.

I wouldn't be mad about the fight either but its the fight he and his father always wanted, he'd be doing it for himself and his father not for the fans.

I honestly don't think he has the motivation to fight anyone else at lightweight, if the GSP fight was to happen I'm sure it would be a catchweight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Homelander wrote: »

I'm not a huge Khabib fan but he ran through McGregor and Justin, at least Tony is a fresh match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wouldn’t be surprised if Khabib isn’t fighting again. And if it’s just a story spun by Ali so he retains the title until after Conor v Dustin. Then conveniently vacates before Justin’s next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Khabib look like a fool if he fights again imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Khabib look like a fool if he fights again imo

Why ? McGregor has retired 97 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

dashoonage wrote: »
    Why ? McGregor has retired 97 times.

Well that was on twitter, not in the middle of the octagon after defending his title and leaving his gear behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'd guess that about 90% of fighters who retire for non-medical reasons go on to fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fitzparker

UFC 254 ended up doing 675k buys.

5th Highest of 2020

So much for Dana "the Truth" White saying it was trending to smash the record

Sure the embedded only averaged about 1.5m views, similar to the previous few PPV cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well to be fair the time it was on at likely had a huge affect on sales.
    It means less fights at times like that moving forward sadly is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

675k is poor.
    I think it may even have been on normal sports channels in Russia & people streaming for free too of course.

On top of that the PPV prices outside of America are less. We were €30, UK was £20 & I’m guessing other countries are similar. The US price was $65. So even any extra European buys is coming at a big hit per buy as well.

Advertisement