Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online glasses up to 80% off www.designerspex4less.ie

• 06-02-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

got a pair of specs here in december from a previous deal.
    showed it to wife today and they are doing different deal.
    ted baker €115 not bad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

some good deals.
    free delivery too which is always nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm a new glasses-wearer and I'm not sure which style suits me. Currently just using the cheapo ones as my first pair. Is there a site that you can upload a headshot and simulate each style on your face?
    (I hate going into Specsavers and trying on styles btw. I know, my own fault there).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

Pique wrote: »
    I'm a new glasses-wearer and I'm not sure which style suits me. Currently just using the cheapo ones as my first pair. Is there a site that you can upload a headshot and simulate each style on your face?
    (I hate going into Specsavers and trying on styles btw. I know, my own fault there).

I use this app to get idea of what styles suit but then buy online elsewhere

https://www.specsavers.ie/specsavers-app

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

Pique wrote: »

I think Zenni optical allow you to upload a head shot. Glasses are cheap too. I would measure a pair that are comfortable on your face before you proceed though. So you know where you stand.
    https://www.zennioptical.com/?ditto=on&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO6zrhxfinDvwbQJU8uKIyMD7lWT_oI7e0nP2zeOA-zyrgaixEzpyt7xoCIeUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_expid=.o_udQgGJQx63dePMSgnQug.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Glasses direct let you upload a photo and do virtual try ons. They’ve a good first time order offer too - 40% all complete glasses over £49 and a free second pair. It worked out at about €37 delivered for 2 pairs, quality is brilliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Do they ship from Europe?

Because I had to pay custom tax on my Zenni order.
    th283 wrote: »
    Glasses direct let you upload a photo and do virtual try ons. They’ve a good first time order offer too - 40% all complete glasses over £49 and a free second pair. It worked out at about €37 delivered for 2 pairs, quality is brilliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Forgive me for asking a possibly stupid question but as someone who only recently started wearing glasses for work, how would you get the correct lenses into these frames?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Forgive me for asking a possibly stupid question but as someone who only recently started wearing glasses for work, how would you get the correct lenses into these frames?

All the above are complete glasses, you provide your prescription and they are made to order. By law the opticians have to provide you with your prescription after your test is completed. The likes of specsavers or visionexpress will not volunteer it, they immediately push people into buying their glasses but you are within your rights to refuse and walk away with the prescription to order from someone else.

I recently bought 2 pairs from www.selectspecs.com for my mother, €33 including delivery and one pair had an extra charge for thinner lenses. Quality was fine, the metal ones were near identical to the previous specsavers ones she had paid several times as much for.

In fact she prefers the cheaper pair that cost €9 + delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

I did the Specsavers free eyetest. Left for an hour and came back and asked them for prescription. They weren't delighted but the only pair I liked in there were 250 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

ColdTurkey wrote: »
    I did the Specsavers free eyetest. Left for an hour and came back and asked them for prescription. They weren't delighted but the only pair I liked in there were 250 quid.

I’ve had most of my glasses from Specsavers over the years but ended up needing a pair unexpectedly and had to use another optician. Turns out all those extras Specsavers pushed on me I didn’t really need.

I started getting them online and use 2 places and got some real designer frames.

Posheyes.co.uk ( highly recommended UK seller, great prices and a proper customer service )
    Smartbuyglasses ( online and China based I think, prices are really good too )

As for finding the frames, well I visited vision express who have a good selection and took note of the numbers on the frame and ordered them that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I use glasses2u.co.uk.
    Based in uk

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Do they ship from Europe?

Because I had to pay custom tax on my Zenni order.

They are shipped from the uk so no customsat the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bill nye

My last pair of Zenni ordered at start of Jan this year were shipped from Sweden.

Wow that's awesome. I am going to email them and ask.
    Bill nye wrote: »
    My last pair of Zenni ordered at start of Jan this year were shipped from Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Not sure how exactly it works but if an item ships from a non EU country into an EEA country and then in to Ireland, it might still be liable* VAT.

Zenni might have a shipping contract** with Sweden's postal service but it may still be inspected by customs when it arrives in Ireland and VAT due* when it arrives at your door. Factor the VAT cost if the order value is over the exemption limit of 26e. Also don't forget An Post will add* a tenner "admin" fee on top of the VAT.

* only if the order total exceeds 26e
    ** Unless Zenni have manufacturing plant in Sweden, AFAIK they don't.

In other words keep non EU orders under 26e

Got this email from Zenni today. Basically it comes from China. I got lucky in the past and didn't pay on 3 orders.

Our glasses are manufactured in China. International orders are shipped directly from there.
    We do not currently have different shipping methods available to d so at this time I do apologize for the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aldarjes

Nabber wrote: »

Designerspex4less are run by Clonakilty Pharmacy in Co. Cork and ship out of Dublin so no worries about customs.

I just checked then out.

They are pricey, costing me around 200 euros with thin glasses and antiglare. Same specs were provided by Zenni for 55 euros plus custom was around 23 euros.
    Aldarjes wrote: »
    Designerspex4less are run by Clonakilty Pharmacy in Co. Cork and ship out of Dublin so no worries about customs.

I just checked then out.

They are pricey, costing me around 200 euros with thin glasses and antiglare. Same specs were provided by Zenni for 55 euros plus custom was around 23 euros.

But they don't do same specs as zenni so its not comparing like with like.
    designer glasses will always be more expensive and should be better quality than cheap chinese imports.

If you email your man he will do you a deal if you play hardball.
    at least he did for me. Gave me a discount code!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

fisher8181 wrote: »
    But they don't do same specs as zenni so its not comparing like with like.
    designer glasses will always be more expensive and should be better quality than cheap chinese imports.

If you email your man he will do you a deal if you play hardball.
    at least he did for me. Gave me a discount code!

Designer has a name on it...what else is different?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

vargoo wrote: »

I agree, in fact I got a ‘designer’ pair of Caroline Herrera glasses through work scheme that were a apparently couple hundred Euro and made in China! They went out of shape and arm got loose, and were not that comfortable to wear.
    Every single pair I have got from Zenni have been fantastic and wear really well. I cancelled Visioncare and what I was paying in benefit in kind is now going towards Zenni purchases. I can buy two pairs a month just on that alone. The only problem I have with Zenni is if I lose the glasses, and they are so cheap it’s not too painful. Last 3 orders came from Malmo Sweden.

vargoo wrote: »

I think you can get good solid "non- designer" glasses and having used both these and designer glasses down through the years i've alway found the designer glasses more sturdy especially when the kids were small, grabbing the glasses all the time.
    Found the italian designer specs the best.
    I am a bit of a sucker for a designer label though!

Anti glare will come up as an option as you go through the ordering steps.

Note that deliveries having a Sweden postmark / tracking number are almost definitely shipping through Sweden rather than from Sweden so be aware that orders over 26e total value can potentially be inspected by customs with VAT payment required on delivery. See post above quoting email reply from Zenni.
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109398283&postcount=18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Zenni Optical is a great website for reasonable priced glasses. My current rimless glasses cost 25 euro including anti scratch and tint.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Anti glare will come up as an option as you go through the ordering steps.

Note that deliveries having a Sweden postmark / tracking number are almost definitely shipping through Sweden rather than from Sweden so be aware that orders over 26e total value can potentially be inspected by customs with VAT payment required on delivery. See post above quoting email reply from Zenni.
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109398283&postcount=18

Is it not a total value of €22 now?

I got hit with customs and VAT charge last time i ordered through Zenni

Is it not a total value of €22 now?

It is but VAT under 6e is not collected so the effective limit is 6/0.23=26.08 which is the limit for the order total including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Do Zenni have anti glare glasses, I had a look on the site and can’t see it as an option, herself needs a pair and I wanted to compare to the company op has mentioned
    Thanks in advance

You add anti-glare coating to the glasses in the add on options, for $4.95. I usually get the $6.95 or $9.99 styles, you get 10% off by adding a new email and there is usually 20% off on US holidays, so less than a tenner all in. There is something called bloz that seems to be an anti UV/computer glare unique to Zenni but I don’t know much about it..looks to be around 17 dollars and geared to computer users, I don’t wear them on computer so just get the anti glare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Let me get this straight- you go into Specsavers, get a free eye test and demand your prescription which you then send to one of these sites. Will Specsavers actually give you the prescription if you havent paid any morey for the test? Or are people pretending that they want to buy glasses there but say they'll be back next week to select a pair? It all seems pretty ballsy either way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ah right now it makes sense as they are actually getting paid for the 'free' test. Good news, I will be using this technique when buying glasses.

Advertisement