Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

mod9maple wrote: »
    Malta. Getting married. Job wise I'll fill you all in when I'm up and running. Self-employment though, in this general line, but not as a genealogist per se. Speaking of which, whilst there over the winter I started working on my partner's family history - she's Maltese of course. I was thinking of writing something up in a thread, just to juxtapose our records with theirs. One thing I can tell you. Whilst visiting a church office I was shown a hand written record in an old, dusty
    book of the first baptism in the parish. 1562. I kid you not. Most parishes have records of birth, marriage (and death!) back to at the latest the mid 17th Century. Incredible.

I could also do a write-up on Canadian research if anyone's interested. Ontario especially.

That date of 1562 is amazing, and would be even more amazing if it were discovered by an actual descendent! Just out of curiosity what religion is that church, (if you don't mind saying)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    That date of 1562 is amazing, and would be even more amazing if it were discovered by an actual descendent! Just out of curiosity what religion is that church, (if you don't mind saying)?

Catholic. Malta must be the most Catholic place on earth! Apart from the Vacitan. Of course the Knights of St John basically ran the place from 1530, and they had no penal laws imposed by another denomination. Their state records, under British rule, started in the same year as ours.

Catholic. Malta must be the most Catholic place on earth! Apart from the Vacitan. Of course the Knights of St John basically ran the place from 1530, and they had no penal laws imposed by another denomination. Their state records, under British rule, started in the same year as ours.

That's very interesting, thanks. Wonder why they got off more lightly than the RCC in Ireland.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    That's very interesting, thanks. Wonder why they got off more lightly than the RCC in Ireland.

The Knights ran it as a fiefdom til 1800(ish) when Napoleon waltzed in. The British kicked the French out a couple of years later and British rule from then until the 1960s was pretty benign. The Turks invaded in 1565 but after quite a lengthy siege, scarpered. The Maltese, and their church, were pretty much left by them all to just get on with their own religious concerns hence the fabulous records.

Fascinating! You are in for a fabulous time of research there.

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Mod9maple - pm about those ideas for thread please.

Given my current time constraints it won't be anytime soon, but later in the summer I'll PM you with what I'm thinking of, certainly, no problem. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Given my current time constraints it won't be anytime soon, but later in the summer I'll PM you with what I'm thinking of, certainly, no problem. Thanks.

Catching up on recent posts - Congrats on nuptuals and planned move. I hope all does not diminish your time for posting/contributing here.

FWIW many English parish records exist from the 1500's and earlier - I have for e.g. a scan (from Kew) of the will and probate of my 11th great gandmother* The will was made the fifteenth March 'the three and thirtieth year of the reign of our sovereign ladye Elizabeth...etc' i.e.1581
    *accepting as valid two generational links in the 1700's

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Also there are about 6 copies of a hardback book called Tracing your Irish Family History by Anthony Adolph. I got one a few years ago and actually found a few things I didn't know.

Thanks for this. :) I'v been looking for a while to get my own copy of this book. I'd recommend this book to every Irish genealogist as it's very well written and goes into detail on all the main aspects of Irish genealogy research including how to trace the Irish diaspora in England and Wales, Scotland, the United States, Canada, Argentina, Australia and New Zealand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I got Claire Santry's book yesterday and have finished it this morning, when I should have been working. Fantastic!

It's really great and I think it'll become a standard work on the subject. Even as a professional genealogist, she's taught me things I didn't know, and referenced material I wasn't aware of (online) so I need to go back through it and mark places and ideas for further research.

The research suggestions on how to find people around your family who might be connected are great. It's something I'd been working on without naming the theory. I.e I researched COI families in Dublin called Walters and sorted them into family groups to see if I could identify a place to link in my earliest ancestor, whose birth I can't find. I didn't find him but it was still useful work.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm hungry to get my hands on Ms Santry's book now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

I have Ordered Claire Santry's book, also can't wait to read and explore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

I got Claire Santry's book yesterday and have finished it this morning, when I should have been working. Fantastic!

It's really great and I think it'll become a standard work on the subject. Even as a professional genealogist, she's taught me things I didn't know, and referenced material I wasn't aware of (online) so I need to go back through it and mark places and ideas for further research.

The research suggestions on how to find people around your family who might be connected are great. It's something I'd been working on without naming the theory. I.e I researched COI families in Dublin called Walters and sorted them into family groups to see if I could identify a place to link in my earliest ancestor, whose birth I can't find. I didn't find him but it was still useful work.

Is this book available in a bricks and mortar shop, or solely on the net?

No idea. But you can get shops to order books in for you.

http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2017/05/just-published-my-new-irish-genealogy.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Just thought I would share my exciting find!
    We never knew or had solid evidence who my great grandfather
    Was, just had his name which my grandfather is named after.
    I did some investigating and followed the family line of a man who I found on
    Census. Through my DNA results and matches I have confirmed that man is
    My great grandfather, just waiting for my relation to reply but his family tree
    Confirms what I have found....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

BowWow wrote:
    Is this book available in a bricks and mortar shop, or solely on the net?

I got mine through kennys.ie

Great review from John Grenham for Claire Santry's book.

Genealogy Forum Mod

spurious wrote: »
    I got mine through kennys.ie

Thanks, picked it up in Easons - had loads in stock. Then was in Glasnevin Cemetery shop and a number on sale there - looks like its becoming the standard for people dipping into Genealogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

I've hit a few dead ends along two lines on ancestry.com, no new records on family search either.
    Are there better sites anyone has tried? (I am a beginner to research.)
    Or if you had to choose to purchase only one more subscription, which site do you find the most useful?
    If you don't mind me asking?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It depends on the what, where and when of your research DK.
    What's the nature of your dead ends?

Genealogy Forum Mod

3 ancestors ranging from the mid 1800's to early 1900's, no records found except a random note stating their existence. Both in the states and Ireland. A teenager who died in childbirth; a man with no apparent father; and a woman who supposedly emigrated, but with no records. Leaving two lines virtually untraceable, so far.

• Advertisement

Well, you have to remember that records do run out.

What I do in those circumstances is start to research other parts of my family and then come back to the problem ones periodically. With experience, you gain more insight and might think "oh, why didn't I look at X before".

For example, there's a big gap between 2 of my grandfather's brothers and I always thought it was weird. Recently, I decided to put the surname in on Irishgenealogy.ie for that gap period and I found an extra child, mother's name mistranscribed, he was born and died in this gap - living just over 2 years. Very sad but I'm happy I could restore him to the family memory. All because I thought of it randomly one day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

That's my solution too - if the branch has been shaken and no more leaves are falling, move on to another branch and work on that for a while. New databases are coming online all the time so it's worth going back every now and again to see if anything turns up.

I did the ancestry DNA test which has opened up a branch for me that goes back to 1666.

Thanks guys, great info! :)

http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2017/09/book-launch-atlas-of-irish-revolution.html?m=1

Anyone get it? I heard this was the second in a series. I wonder what (an)other(s) might be about? I have both of the first two anyway and as someone who loves putting my family history into context they are fascinating.

€59 :eek: I will look at it in the library!

Genealogy Forum Mod

€59 ��I will look at it in the library!

Thinking the same myself!

This is just a general grumble about people who don't reply to your messages on Ancestry, especially those *ec*ers who appear to have copied your whole family tree verbatim and so are obviously a relatively near relation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

This is just a general grumble about people who don't reply to your messages on Ancestry, especially those *ec*ers who appear to have copied your whole family tree verbatim and so are obviously a relatively near relation.

Can empathise with this - I have at least two Ancestry types who are copying my tree but don't seem to want to share what they know.

KildareFan wrote: »
    Can empathise with this - I have at least two Ancestry types who are copying my tree but don't seem to want to share what they know.

I had to go "Private" on my tree for this reason - their loss..

• Advertisement

My tree is private on Ancestry but I have shared it with a few people, and they've put up the same info.

I also don't understand why people are so keen to add in unrelated families. Like they put in someone who married in, and then they add that person's entire family tree. Those people aren't in your family! One of them is related by marriage, that's all. I might research someone's parents if I'm looking for potential kids' names but that's it usually.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement