Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Sitting in a window seat when about to land and saying loudly "That doesn't look right. Oh my god, Oh my god, I think we are going to hit the ground" is not recommended. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

I'll be taking my 15 month old son on his 1st holiday this summer so it'll be 1st time on a plane, need all the advice I can get really.
    What is the story with bringing bottles calpol etc. Flight is 4 hours long so I've gotten him a tablet for all the mickey mouse sruff but could do with some tips/tricks plz all are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I think it is to keep people around the main shops longer.

No basis on this,

Gates are known from a good 2hrs before departure, the only reason to delay the gate number is to keep you in the shopping area of the terminal.

I worked on a system in the DAA and developed the Airport Genie system of a pre flight SMS to customers and the gate number was supplied 2hrs before the flight. I remember this causing a massive issue with DAA commerical dept as they did not want this to impact sales of goods due to already low sales.

Its all about the money folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Dublin Airport app usually has the gates long before they show up on the board. It also gives you average security time etc. Very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

I'll be taking my 15 month old son on his 1st holiday this summer so it'll be 1st time on a plane, need all the advice I can get really.
    What is the story with bringing bottles calpol etc. Flight is 4 hours long so I've gotten him a tablet for all the mickey mouse sruff but could do with some tips/tricks plz all are welcome!

Book your seats before you travel to make sure you (I'm assuming your partner is going too) sit together. If its a busy flight and you don't there is a chance the grown ups could be split up. Most people genuinely don't mind sitting beside a baby or toddler but its easier when there's two of you.

If you're flying Aer Lingus, they may let you check in and drop your bags off at the airport the night before. If you can do it I would just means less queuing for the little man at the airport. If its an early morning or evening flight when the airport is going to be busy buy fastrack, again will reduce queues and stress

Bring snacks from home that he'll be familiar with but do buy him something from the cart too, all adds to the entertainment.

You can bring calpol etc no issues, just treat it as any other liquid or cream. If you've an expensive travel system I'd advise against bringing it and buy a cheap buggy or second hand one. They get thrown around a bit depending on the airport you're travelling to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I actually like getting my bag taken off me and put in the hold. In fact, I bank on it now! Most airports are quick and the bag is waiting for me once i walk there (which is generally on the way out anyway) Just keep a small bag with books, music, snacks etc with me.

Much more comfortable IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sbEdge

degsie wrote: »
    Don't dig your knees into the seat in front of you. It's annoying and MUST be uncomfortable.

My knees normally touch the seat in front but they don't dig in until the person in front reclines on top of my knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

1. Don't bring a bag that must go in the overhead bins...
    - that way you don't have to stand in the queue for ages bcos worst case scenario you have it at your feet.

2. En route to security, empty your pockets into your coat/jacket pockets (or bag side-pockets) to ensure a speedy getaway on the other side (also makes for a more comfortable journey to have empty pockets while sitting for so long).

3. Pack your bag so that it can be inspected easily
    - i.e. get some large ziplock bags and divide your stuff amongst them, then pack those bags into your luggage... means you'll never have a problem opening your bag to find something or have it inspected.

4. Noise cancelling headphones (to reiterate almost everyone else here!)
    - even if you're not listening to something you're blocking out a lot of engine noise (and people noise)

5. external battery to charge low phone/kindle (can't bear to travel without my tech!)

6. if you get stuck in the airport... go to the electronics store and browse the internet on the demo model pc/laptops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Anyway, there is NO guarantee that bags will be put in the overhead bins with Priority either.

Yeah, I've heard this before as well. Basically if you arrive late and the cabin is already full, then bag probably won't fit. They can't predict how many of the priority boarding passengers will have bags for overhead, as I often just put my bag under seat in front and don't bother with overhead.
    dudara wrote: »
    I travel to the US a lot for work also, and on the outbound leg I like to work. But if the person in front reclines, it makes it hard very use to use my laptop comfortably, which stops me from working for 5-6 hrs.

I feel for you, but you can hardly blame the person in front because you need to work during the flight. Especially for many early morning Dublin flights, it means only getting couple of hours sleep to get in on time. Putting your seat back a little will give you a little bit more space. Also, as a reclining passenger I only put it back as much as I need to be comfortable, rather than the whole way.

I actually like getting my bag taken off me and put in the hold. In fact, I bank on it now! Most airports are quick and the bag is waiting for me once i walk there (which is generally on the way out anyway) Just keep a small bag with books, music, snacks etc with me.

Much more comfortable IMO

I used think that too, until arriving back into Dublin one night and having to wait one and a half hours to collect our bags made me think differently! As I usually travel last flight and arrive at destination near midnight, the risk of missing my train makes it too chancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

nhur wrote: »
    1. Don't bring a bag that must go in the overhead bins...
    - that way you don't have to stand in the queue for ages bcos worst case scenario you have it at your feet.

Not really sure of the logic there. Where are the clothes that you are going to wear while you are away, going to go? Into a bag that you pay to check in the hold, or in smallish handbag style bag that you can store at your feet? I doubt if that is going to work for most people. That is why most of us (who are going away for more than a day trip) bring the cabin bags on wheels, that do have to go in the over head bins.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When in Dublin Airport heading to the States, and your in Wrights of Howth buying the rashers, sausages & pudding to bring stateside, At the till they'll ask to see your boarding card, and if you are U.S.A. bound, they can't sell you the good stuff.

Tell them your OH has your boarding card, she's on her way down to the gate, and that your on flight EI (any EU/UK flight number leaving at roughly the same time, that you'll have previously scouted) to Birmingham/Amsterdam/Kerry.

Give them an old wink & a nod, they'll do their magic and you've got breakfast for the next few days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

When in Dublin Airport heading to the States, and your in Wrights of Howth buying the rashers, sausages & pudding to bring stateside, At the till they'll ask to see your boarding card, and if you are U.S.A. bound, they can't sell you the good stuff.

Tell them your OH has your boarding card, she's on her way down to the gate, and that your on flight EI (any EU/UK flight number leaving at roughly the same time, that you'll have previously scouted) to Birmingham/Amsterdam/Kerry.

Give them an old wink & a nod, they'll do their magic and you've got breakfast for the next few days!!

Oh, ffs, this is a bad idea. You will have to tell them when you enter the US that you are importing food items. I was pulled aside gently after leaving Germany with some dry sausage I had bought to eat on the way home and nibble later. I was honestly unaware I wasn't supposed to. They went over every bit of food I was bringing home, which except for the packet of sausages, was chocolates and candy. The log of marzipan came in for special attention and almost got thrown away. I was lucky they believed me. And I'm a US citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

In SNN US customs have a foot beagle that they bring to the gate before boarding starts and he has a good sniff around peoples bags. We were told he is used for sniffing out food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

Thought this thread was for useful tips, not for endorsing dodgy practices :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Speedwell wrote: »
    Oh, ffs, this is a bad idea. You will have to tell them when you enter the US that you are importing food items. I was pulled aside gently after leaving Germany with some dry sausage I had bought to eat on the way home and nibble later. I was honestly unaware I wasn't supposed to. They went over every bit of food I was bringing home, which except for the packet of sausages, was chocolates and candy. The log of marzipan came in for special attention and almost got thrown away. I was lucky they believed me. And I'm a US citizen.

It is a horrendous idea. My sister arrived in NYC completely oblivious to the ham sambos that her kid had thrown into her back pack before setting out for the airport. The sniffer dogs at the airport picked up on them. She was hauled into a little room, interrogated for 30 minutes, while every single piece of her hand luggage was inspected, as her kids were roaring crying in a room outside.

The two screaming kids speeded the process up & she got a stiff lecture instead of having to pay a $400 fine. The delay meant she nearly missed her connecting flight home. If people want to look forward to any of that, knock yourself out. This nod and a wink nonsense only makes life harder & creates delays and increased rules and regulations, for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It is a horrendous idea. My sister arrived in NYC completely oblivious to the ham sambos that her kid had thrown into her back pack before setting out for the airport. The sniffer dogs at the airport picked up on them. She was hauled into a little room, interrogated for 30 minutes, while every single piece of her hand luggage was inspected, as her kids were roaring crying in a room outside. The two screaming kids speeded the process up & she got a stiff lecture instead of having to pay a $400 fine. The delay meant she nearly missed her connecting flight home. If people want to look forward to any of that, knock yourself out. :rolleyes:

Indeed. Even the comparatively humane interview I was subjected to took a good 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Some advice from my own personal experiences

1. Do a little bit of research on the airport(s) before you fly. Know which terminal and if possible the check in area of your flight. This will prevent you wandering around with your head in the air while others know where they are going. Also if your ticket says "Flight operated by XX" - that means you go to that airlines check in area

2. Dress appropriately. Obviously if going straight to a business meeting or if baggage space is limited - this may not apply. The amount of times I have been behind people who have to unzip themselves from massive boots before security. Considering most airports involve trecking around for ages, I dont understand how people dont wear runners or flat comfortable shoes. Also, start preparing for security as you walk up to it.

3. Invest in a document wallet. I own one that it is about 1/3 the size of an A4 sheet. I keep my passport in this when it is at home so I always know where it is. I also keep my printed out tickets and frequent flier cards etc. A second wallet/purse can come in handy if you are changing currencies. Keep your Euro in the reserve wallet in the hotel safe until coming home.

4. Carry on luggage. If you are grunting and panting to lift your bag to the bin - this is telling you that you should really be checking it in

5. Stand in from the aisle, or at least move one leg into the aisle seat space. It is very annoying to see people spread themselves out as they prepare to launch their luggage into the overhead storage.

6. Some airlines reserve the storage bins at the back of the plane for crew luggage storage. This may affect you if you are sitting near the back.

7. Reclining seats. Controversial topic. The only reason I love Ryanair is for the lack of recline. Overnight or long distance - OK. But a 90 minute hop to Europe, you dont need to recline your seat

8. Be nice to the staff you meet. It cant do any harm. No point fighting with check in staff if your flight is delayed due to bad weather

Long Haul

I once sat for 13 hours behind a guy who reclined his seat for the full journey - dont be like that.
    Some airlines publish what movies they will be showing on board. Perhaps avoid these in the cinema before you go. Although, most films on board are cut and censored for on board viewing.
    A few quid spent in a shop is priceless when hungry at 38,000 ft. Or even better, pop to Lidl before you leave to get a cheap pack of biscuits etc.
    Do research on your ground transportation on arrival. Maybe even watch a couple of youtube videos of your arrival airport. Tourists wandering around looking lost are easy targets for scammers/thieves
    And the usual advice - loose clothing, keep hydrated, dont overdo the alcohol, keep your belt loosely fastened .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If you want to increase the chances of having an empty seat beside you, book Row 13. For some reason. a lot of people seem to think that they are more at risk of crashing - or not surviving a crash - in that row than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd really recommend a sling for travelling. Haven't done an airport yet (I'm a terrible TERRIBLE flyer) but bus and train stations, days in the city etc all made much easier with a baby carrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

If you think there's a chance your luggage may be over the limit - for both checked luggage and cabin luggage (if they weigh that, which some airlines do) - go over to an empty check-in desk when you arrive at the airport and place your bag on the conveyer belt. A lot of airport check in desks will have their weighing scales switched on displaying the figures where the passenger can view them, even when the desks are unused. I've done this before and it saved me paying €70 with AirFrance by simply transferring two large towels to my hand luggage.

It's worth mentioning that Penney's do small, very portable digital luggage scales in their travel section for €6, to avoid paying a few euro on airport luggage scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

A quick tip about T1 for Dublin.

Only works at T1. The check in system is very old and has an easy but awkward way to get around the weight limit. At the conveyor belts at check in there is a slight over hag, around 5cm. If you push the top of your shoe against it the weight limit for the baggage system goes down with little pressure. This works on all of the belts, but you need a steady foot as the weight can change very quick. So I recommend if your bag is overweight find an empty desk, put your bag up and try to stick your foot up at the metal overhang. I've seen passengers go from 28kilos to 20kilos with this trick and get out of lots of fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

It seriously cannot be said enough, for anything over 2 hours get the Bose Noise Cancelling headphones. I've the QC25s and I will NEVER be able to fly without them again. It's like being able to switch the engine noise on and off. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭b318isp

A few more that I don't think have been covered:

- Comfy slip on shoes and thin socks for the plane. Having been on my feet for ages prior to getting on the plane, it's nice to slip out of them (even partially)
    - I often wear combat/cargo pants - the leg pockets are good for passports, maps, headphones, phones, etc.
    - Leave space in your carry on luggage for your jacket, if possible. Airports can be warm, and its nice to pack it away
    - Bring a new book, podcast, film, game, etc. A lot of waiting and sitting is part &parcel of flying; something new is good to pass the time
    - Eat prior to boarding - you will be less hungry (obviously), less dependant on cabin service and will find it easier to doze off
    - I like a window seat - I can rest my head against the wall to doze
    - For your arrivals airport, do your homework in advance - have some idea where trains, taxis, luggage stores, ticket desks, etc. are.
    - I like to board early - I can put things into seat pockets, get the air nozzle adjusted, seat belt in place and get generally organised before a neighbour arrives
    - This might sound anti-social, but for a low passenger density flight, I often ask for a fully free row - I can sit diagonally and use adjacent seats for storage

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Didn't pay for an exit row? Flight not too packed? Move as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off. I spent 12/14 hours to Rio sat in a lovely exit row, legs straight, headphones on, happy as Larry.

Having spoken to cabin crew they really don't care: as long as you aren't wandering into Business or First.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

faceman wrote: »
    Where possible use the airline's app for boarding passes, no more worrying out printed tickets.

Do you mind explaining how this works and what I need as input?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

As others have said - be prepared for delays.

I was delayed for 24 hours in a Bulgarian airport without a charger for ipod / tablet & phone or book - never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Mr.S wrote: »
    You just need a smartphone, download the airline's app (eg Ryanair) and just follow the on screen instructions, its basically like checking in online, but you do it on your phone, and instead of printing a boarding pass, your pass is generated on your phone which still gets scanned :)

Very handy

Sounds great. Do you need the flight number or ticket code?
    Does it send the pass to your email which you access via smartphone or does the app cover it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

dudara wrote: »
    I travel to the US a lot for work also, and on the outbound leg I like to work. But if the person in front reclines, it makes it hard very use to use my laptop comfortably, which stops me from working for 5-6 hrs.

The seats recline because the airline are bringing you from A to B in reasonable comfort, not to provide you with a mobile office. Personally I find it horrendously uncomfortable to keep the seat fully upright for any length of time. Business class is designed exactly for people who want to work whilst travelling - more legroom and office type facilities to allow you to work, and comfortable seats so that you can rest if you need to and go straight to work when you arrive.

I'm not going to put myself through discomfort on a long haul flight just so you can work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rsh118 wrote: »
    Didn't pay for an exit row? Flight not too packed? Move as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off. I spent 12/14 hours to Rio sat in a lovely exit row, legs straight, headphones on, happy as Larry.

Having spoken to cabin crew they really don't care: as long as you aren't wandering into Business or First.

Agree that the cabin crew don't care but on most planes you can do it earlier than that. If you can see the front of the plane from where you're sitting before take-off, watch for the person in the hi-viz jacket hanging around near the cockpit, they are from ground ops. and as soon as they disembark, the crew close the door and then you make your move.

Advertisement