Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday watches

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am going to a villa in the middle of Tuscany, I will be hitting Florence but avoiding Rome. I wore it without thought when I was in Rome the last time. No hassle although I get what you mean, my suit bag was robbed when I was in Rome last which was a pain as I was on the way to a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jude13 wrote: »
    I am going to a villa in the middle of Tuscany, I will be hitting Florence but avoiding Rome. I wore it without thought when I was in Rome the last time. No hassle although I get what you mean, my suit bag was robbed when I was in Rome last which was a pain as I was on the way to a wedding.

Tuscany, you're sorted, Bring the explorer! Florence seemed grand too, wouldn't be worried about there. Tourist spots in Rome, like around the Spanish steps seemed to have a lot of people trying to scam people.

From my experience of cities in Europe, (obviously this will have exceptions), but avoid areas around the train station. The amount of cities that was the "dodgy" area was crazy. But Tuscany would be on the "low risk" from my experience and Florence didn't strike me as a city to be worried about either.

Ha, I had a lovely tumi suit bag robbed from the train station in Rome, the second that went missing, Etihad lost the first one. I have a watch specifically for traveling, pepsi gmt, to it will defo draw the wrong kind of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blindsider

@Jude13 Just be a small bit careful around some of the very popular tourist spots: Uffizi, Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio.....lots of dodgy characters selling fake handbags and sunnies etc - had a few of them take an unhealthy interest in my Breitling Aerospace a few years ago.

Make sure you go to Siena and Volterra - both lovely spots!

Cheers will do. I will be in Sienna, may stay at the villa when the rest are going to Florence as I have been. Flying in and out of Rome but don't plan spending time there.

I will hit up the duty free watch section, sadly for pics only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭micks_address

I'm bringing my gshock all metal to Disney world.. it's going to be messy with sun block etc..I assume will wash off the bracelet

^ ah yeah I wouldn't worry about metal finishes and sun cream. Different for rubber/resin.

There can be an issue if it works its way in around the seals (cashbacks, crowns) as it may cause them to degrade over time.

Standard advice is that seals should be checked and replaced as necessary in any watch every couple of years in any event, if the watch is expected to be submerged in water, regardless of WR rating.

I have to admit I don't bother having G shocks serviced unless they need a battery change.

I ask for seals to be replaced on other watches when serviced which I get done when accuracy fails outside spec but I wouldn't wear one of my automatic or mechanical watches for swimming or even in the shower actually. I have a couple of vintage G's that I'm similarly precious about.

Advertisement