Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Commercial Pilot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

There is increasing concern about the over reliance of pilots on technical aids in the modern aircraft. What are your thoughts on this and do you see the role of a pilot being 'dumbed down' in the next couple of decades to essentially being up in the cockpit to monitor systems and for passenger reassurance.

• Company Representative Posts: 86 Verified rep I'm A Commercial Pilot, AMA

Have you ever seen anything in the sky that you couldn't explain?

I've seen plenty of things on the ground I couldn't explain!

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Whats your most favorite and most unfavorable Airport to fly into and why? :)

Favourite: Munich, everything just seems to work there...!

Least favourite: Probably Leeds, just to do with the weather and how its location doesn't help....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How difficult is a crosswind landing?

Have you ever had to reign in a colleague who was operating outside of procedures? If so, how was it received? Or vice versa?

Have the eastern airlines fully got rid of the obedience at all costs to Capt. mindset that resulted in a number of crashes?

Would you fly with Malaysia Airlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

What do you think happened to missing plane MH 370

• Advertisement

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    What is your favourite Prop and favourite Jet aircraft.

When last, if ever, have you flown a 'tail dragger' ?

Overall...that's tough, I'd say my favourite prop is the Constellation (never managed to get a flight in one), wouldn't mind having a go flying it...!

Jet, I would really like to have a go in a 727...doesn't look likely these days!

Edit: never flown a tail dragger...someday if I get the time, maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭40now

I am not a conspiracy theorist am I won't mention the word "chemtrails" but what are those white streaks that come out of planes? you know the things that look like clouds and hang about in the sky for a long time and have you ever done it?

irishejit wrote: »
    It seems that the industry is facing a pilot shortage in the very near future, however it is getting harder and harder to get your commercial rating due to the costs involved and the lack of funded training.

How do you see this being addressed, or will it be left to those people how can afford to take out huge loans to self fund their training?

So like I said, there is now a whole industry that in of itself that provides all these type ratings (and line training of course) which is something that sprang up at a time when there was no such thing as a shortage of pilots. My best guess is somebody somewhere saw an opportunity to monetise a part of their business (just like paying to select a seat.)

If there was genuinely a shortage, it would eventually show itself in airlines bending over backwards to fund what (currently) is expected of the candidate. Whilst its driven by slightly different reasons, a lot of smaller carriers in the USA are offering large signing bonuses as their pool of candidates dries up. In Europe this really hasn't happened yet.

Airlines are loathe to spend money at the best of times, so it will take quite some time before they decide to really change how they hire. Many people (inlcuding those with the means) are put off the job due to the initial outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Was becoming a commercial pilot a long term dream as kit or something you decided later in life?

Has it lived up to the expectation of job fulfillment or do you find it a highly stressful job knowing you are effectively in control of the lives of a few hundred people for a few hours?

Why do landings on a Ryanair plane seem harder than AL or other airlines ?

Given some of the crunchers I've been responsible for during my time I don't think it comes down to the airline...in reality, way too many variables involved to be definitive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ever tempted to do a barrel roll?

What made you interested in becoming a pilot?

Do you have much downtime between journeys? Do you actually get to see a city that you fly to?

How long do pilots spend practicing the pilot voice for the intercom and do you practice what you're going to say? :D

🤪

9or10 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for doing the AMA.

Just enjoyed watching the film "Sully" (Miracle on the Hudson).

I'd be interested to know how you viewed the film and the event.

I'm guessing that the enquiry afterwards was dramatised somewhat for the film.

I actually haven't seen the film!

But Sully had a lot of things going for him never mind his ability to take decisive action in the situation. He had full flight controls and electrics which made the handling of the aircraft easier, he had relatively benign weather and he was able to put down close to where help would be rapidly available, the fact he handled it so well is icing on the cake.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is it true what they say about the little triangles above the windows? A visual or a marker for crew to look out at wings/engine to see if any issues. Window blinds up for rescuers to look in, or passengers to look out for danger, in case of incident. Lights dimmed for eyes to adjust to darkness, again in case of incident. Etc. Etc.

The triangles indicate the best position to be able to look at the wing from inside the cabin; very handy when checking for ice on the top of the wing.

Window blinds: allows light into the cabin in case of total electrical failure in the daylight and also allows crew to visually assess outside what is going on if necessary (i.e. fire, smoke, damage, leaks etc) - at night time it's the same reason minus the daylight. Having lights dimmed or off allows the eyes to adust in darkness which allowed you to be able to pick out details more readily in case of a problem. It also makes the emergency lights stand out better should they come on and you have to react and move towards them.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    what was your most scariest experience flying a plane ???

Rather than being scared, the first flight as a Captain when you do suddenly cop that you are actually the one responsible on board for everything is exciting....!

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Most severe systems failure to happen while you were flying?

Also what do you currently fly?

Had a hydraulic system dump all its fluid on take off once upon a time, thankfully a short flight back to base, only had to wait 30 mins to see if the gear was going to go down normally (which it did)

Someone got a load of hydraulic fluid in their field...!

Edit: currently flying Boeing medium/long haul

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Are you allowed to use your mobile phone during a flight?

Have you watched the movie Pilot with Denzel Washington? Have you ever witnessed other pilots who are clearly the worse for wear and about to go to work? Are there confidential channels through which you can report incidents?

I'm led to believe that modern aircraft are basically able to fly themselves,including take off and landing and that pilots only occasionally actually land the place to keep in practice.
    How true is this?

I've yet to see an airplane that does the take off itself....landing, well within pretty tight limits they can do it.

In all my time I would say it's been manual landings 95% of the time, only doing an automatic landing for either crew recency, aircraft technical requirements or due to the actual weather.

Whats your opinion on the gradual phasing out of airliners such as the 747 and a340 in favour of a350, 777s & 787s etc ? Does flying a plane with more then two engines put your mind at ease if one was to stop working ?

Is there aircraft out there that you've never flown but would love to ?

It's really all down to technology. There are better materials and design than was available many years ago. Engine failures are many times less likely than 40 years ago; similarly the manufacturers can make engines that are much more powerful than they could in the past. This of course means you can rely on the systems; the airlines then get the benefit of having to maintain only 2 engines per aircraft rather than 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

i was talking to a few pilots at a party a few years back and they were telling me how boring long haul flights can be,

They said sometimes that they would radio each other to say that a certain area had great turbulence and that they would head towards the turbulent air for the craic to break up the boredom - give them something to do.

or where they just winding me up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Do you ever fly Etihad? I've got a seriously tight connection in Abu Dhabi in April so if you wouldn't mind getting on that flight and nipping in for a long dump just before takeoff that would be great...

On a serious note, are there major differences in airlines in terms of staff treatment? Not asking to name the crappy ones but who are the best to work with?

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Why do pilots not have to have decent mathematical abilities? If communication is not possible and instruments fail surely making quick calculations is a key skill.

What is your favourite hollywood airplane film? :P

I think you need good mathematical skills but not super-advanced. You are constantly doing mental math throughout a flight even when all is normal. If all instruments fail the first thing you do is fly the airplane, no point in doing calculations if the aircraft isn't under control.

Fave film: Airplane!

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Why do all pilots speak like this:

"eeeeeeeeeh, this is your pilot eeeeeeeeeh speaking. we're eeeeeeeeeeeh"

You guys up front huffing the O2?

Side question: Why are the pilot announcements so short/infrequent? I love hearing about the plane, the speeds, the tech, etc. Why just the same canned "this height, this time arriving, enjoy" message. Is it just that you get sick of repeating the same stuff?

Eeeeeeeeh, I dunno, eeeeh, could be eeeeeh many things! Like not being taught properly how to do it....

If you are on 6 sectors a day you tend to revert to a standard kind of format; for every person who wants a full breakdown of eveything there is another who doesn't want any more interruptions. On other aircraft the pax have a better map display of where they are, what height etc and estimated time of arrival than we do so there's not a lot of point in telling poeple what they already know.

Ever since the German wings disaster, what is pilot sentiment on this?

Has security protocol changed/increased for you prior to a flight?

I think that unfortunately the industry got a much needed jolt to finally accept that there has to be an outlet/support available to people who have some issues, we are still human beings the same as everyone else. The main difficulty is that there could be a negative effect on your employment prospects, especially if you are just starting out and this tends to put people off declaring they might have an issue. That is a result of the way the industry has gone. Thankfully more progressive places have the ability to actually look after people.

Security protocols are different everywhere and also depend on where you are going to. Certainly different from when I started out.

Do you reckon there will be an open skies agreement in place for the UK prior to their departure from the EU?

If not, any insights you might have on how this might be handled?

I think there will be a transition period, the markets are too big to be let suffer major disruption in my opinion. I've no real idea about how it will be managed, but Easyjet taking up an EU AOC I think shows some idea of how they think it will go...

I've always found Boeings to be more pleasant places to be than Airbuses, but what is it like up front?

Whats nicer to fly? (both in handling and actual creature comforts)
    Which have the better tech/toys?
    Which takes less time to become proficient at?
    If there are different planes up for grabs, is there a rush to grab particular planes? (Dibs on the A-380, Dibs on the xxx)

Generally speaking, the Airbus cockpit is a nicer working environment. Having said that, the 737 had foot air to keep your feet warm, something the A320 sorely lacked...

Boeing is more fun to fly, hands down.
    The tech these days is so advanced it's tough to say. Both the 787 and A350 have incredible kit fitted.

Proficiency...well that depends. If you're doing 4-6 sectors a day or 4-6 sectors a month you have to be aware you don't do as much handling as you might like. So you just have to be aware...

Who flies what type...? Also depends, do you mind being away a lot; do you want to be home; is there somewhere in particular you would like to live; do you just want to fly a big airplane....? A lot of people make choices based on lifestyle rather than the type of aicraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

How many air hostesses have u been with?

Whats your opinion on French air traffic controllers, or air traffic controllers in general.

Should they be allowed to shut down the skies during a strike, or should technology be allowed to enable passage through French/other airspace during these strikes?

ATC in general are pretty good; they have the same pressures as us; more aircraft in the same amount of sky is always going to result in more pressure on them. It doesn't take much for it to get really tough, weather deviations, airport delays etc. A bit of politeness or humour on the frequency can go a long way....

How long does it take to get comfortable speaking the lingo?

I listen to the ATC streams on my phone from time to time, and i'm fascinated at the rapidness of data transfer you guys can manage with your broadcasts.

If you do it multiple times a day, it comes pretty quick. The trick is trying to slow down when it is busy (just listen to JFK arrivals to get some idea) - if English is not your first language it can be tough....

I always assumed it was a glamorous 'busy' job but as with long distance driving is it mostly just standards and basic operative procedures followed by long periods of dullness and dry chat with your co-pilot ?

My friends psrtner is a pilot and his home office is filled with charts and daily printouts of weather systems and technical forecasts. I assumed there would be a department in charge of tracking weather systems and making meterological decisions & refining strategic flying choices regarding flying for you - does this happen or is it all up to the pilot at home in his office? Many thanks!

Depending on what routes you fly it could be many hours in the cruise. Or no time at all!

With the advent of the internet, data that really only the airlines could afford to get access to is now available on your phone. I certainly look at the forecasts the day before I set off to have some idea what it'll be like. We are provided with all the data when we do check in and we can get updates as we go. There's not much point in getting bogged down in it before you go into work as it could all change by then anyway...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Generally speaking, the Airbus cockpit is a nicer working environment. Having said that, the 737 had foot air to keep your feet warm, something the A320 sorely lacked...

Boeing is more fun to fly, hands down.
    The tech these days is so advanced it's tough to say. Both the 787 and A350 have incredible kit fitted.

Proficiency...well that depends. If you're doing 4-6 sectors a day or 4-6 sectors a month you have to be aware you don't do as much handling as you might like. So you just have to be aware...

Who flies what type...? Also depends, do you mind being away a lot; do you want to be home; is there somewhere in particular you would like to live; do you just want to fly a big airplane....? A lot of people make choices based on lifestyle rather than the type of aicraft.

"Sectors"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement