Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old sky box

• 18-11-2019 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

How can I get an old sky box to work with a newish LG tv... I don't see any sign of a signal when I make the connection
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

me4many wrote: »
    How can I get an old sky box to work with a newish LG tv... I don't see any sign of a signal when I make the connection
    Thanks

What do you mean by signal. Can you bring up the sky setup menu with no sat cable connected to the box. If you can’t check if you can do this with another tv if you have one to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you connecting with HDMI or SCART? Have you selected the correct input on the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you connecting with HDMI or SCART? Have you selected the correct input on the TV?

No I don't get the sky menu...

The lead I have is a scart on one end and three cable connections on the other...

I not sure if they are meant for tv or for an audio player... ( is there a difference )
    Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is it scart at the sky box and the three plugs at the TV? The three plugs are, red= audio right, white= audio left and yellow= video output.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is it scart at the sky box and the three plugs at the TV? The three plugs are, red= audio right, white= audio left and yellow= video output.

That's it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

your AV source needs to be set to "Component" or similar I'd guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's it...

There's usually a border around the three sockets and the name under them AV1 or something similar. Connect the sky box and turn it on, using the source button on the TV remote keep pressing until you see the sky menu.

Riskymove wrote: »
    your AV source needs to be set to "Component" or similar I'd guess

I've tried "component" but unfortunately still no luck..
    When the sky q box was there it was connected with a HDMI cable but there is no HDMI port on the old box...
    I might get sky connected again next year but in the meanwhile I'd like to get the old free box to work...
    Thanks for replies..

Does the TV have a SCART socket?

I’m guessing not.

I have a 2018 LG smart tv and I don’t think it has any component plugs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

When the sky q box was there it was connected with a HDMI cable but there is no HDMI port on the old box...
    I might get sky connected again next year but in the meanwhile I'd like to get the old free box to work...
    Thanks for replies..

You might like to try adverts or Ebay for a sky HD multiroom box they have a HDMI output and no hard drive. Making them completely silent;
    Ideal option for freeview as you cant record without subscription anyway.
    I'm subscribed to virgin media in the living room and I use sky HD multiroom boxes in other rooms along with an old uk sky viewing Card which provides alot more free channels than an Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Component involves three connections for video and two (L & R) for audio.

You only have one connection (yellow) for video, that is called Composite.

In the picture below, the top row is for a composite connection, the yellow port alone handles video. For component, you'd use the same audio connectors on the top row but the video feed would be to the three connectors below.

You say you have a 'newish' LG TV, you really do not want to be using a composite connection, the picture quality on a modern TV will be dire. Are there any other outlets on the Sky box?

Component-Video.jpg

I just checked my own LG and it has component (YPbPr) , but not composite connectors. Would I be right in saying it’s composite you’d need?

I just checked my own LG and it has component (YPbPr) , but not composite connectors. Would I be right in saying it’s composite you’d need?

I believe the OP does need composite, see my post above.

Composite used to be a separate (yellow) port as shown in the photo above but on many modern TVs, one of the component ports can take a composite signal. It’s usually indicated if you look for it.

Now that you say it, the green is actually half green and half yellow so it probably does both. Plugged in an old console and it worked.
    The composite option is hidden in the menus, you need to select input, then all inputs, then composite.

If it’s an LG Smart tv it should have an inbuilt satellite tuner. If so then no need for sky box.

If sky q was installed there before as the only box connected to the dish, you will need to change the LNB on the dish to be able to use either the old Sky box or the inbuilt satellite tuner in the TV.

Now that you say it, the green is actually half green and half yellow so it probably does both. Plugged in an old console and it worked.
    The composite option is hidden in the menus, you need to select input, then all inputs, then composite.

If it’s an LG Smart tv it should have an inbuilt satellite tuner. If so then no need for sky box.

If sky q was installed there before as the only box connected to the dish, you will need to change the LNB on the dish to be able to use either the old Sky box or the inbuilt satellite tuner in the TV.

I have another tv (again old) working off the same dish/LNB in in another room..

It seems the problem is getting the signal from the sky box to the tv.....

Th tv is a little over two years old....I got it as a sky package...sign up /new tv and sky q box..
    There are five coloured connection points at the back of tv....Video/ PD/PR/ L&R audio...
    It also has a HDMI x2 ..USB.. Optical digital audio Out.

Does any of this help solve the problem
    Thks..

It seems the problem is getting the signal from the sky box to the tv.....

Exactly. The connections on your TV are what you'd expect - the component connectors would nowadays typically be used for an early DVD player, one without a HDMI output.

Your issue is the Sky box. Does it have any other output ports other than SCART? If not, time to visit the recycling centre.

coylemj wrote: »
    Exactly. The connections on your TV are what you'd expect - the component connectors would nowadays typically be used for an early DVD player, one without a HDMI output.

Your issue is the Sky box. Does it have any other output ports other than SCART? If not, time to visit the recycling centre.

There are a few other ports on the sky box but there isn't a corresponding connection on the tv...
    I think your suggestion about recycling might not be too far wrong...

There are a few other ports on the sky box .....

What are they?

Seriously, this is the third time I've asked the question. We're trying to help you, please give us the information.

coylemj wrote: »
    What are they?

Seriously, this is the third time I've asked the question. We're trying to help you, please give us the information.

My apologies I should have paid more attention..
    Rd 232....aerial in ...RF Out_1 and 2 two pofts that just say left and right.
    and telephone line....
    Thanks for you time which I do appreciate..

My apologies I should have paid more attention..
    Rd 232....aerial in ...RF Out_1 and 2 two pofts that just say left and right.
    and telephone line....
    Thanks for you time which I do appreciate..

Ok, 'left and right' are audio out if you want to feed an amp to drive external speakers. By the sound of it, you have no other options on the video feed and for a modern TV, composite won't cut it.

Junk the Sky box.

• Advertisement

Get yourself a sky DRX595 which has a HDMI output

Can’t the OP use the RF out and use the analogue tuner to pick it up?

Theres an I/O adapter which fits the newer box providing the RF in/out

Yeah but he already has RF out

Yeah but he already has RF out

I understand that on the existing box; but im saying; if upgrading to a Sky HD multiroom DRX595 they would then have a HDMI connection output;
    There saying yes but they would then lose the RF coaxial output,
    I'm saying; not if you were to fit an I/O adapter to the DRX595
    Phew ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭dodzy

Cheapest solution so far.

Option 2. if you just want to keep it simple and want HD quality, just fork out 50 quid for a new FTA box, bin the old one and be done with it.

https://www.satworld.ie/satellite-receivers/

Advertisement