Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Loughc wrote: »
    Mine and Wet.

You're welcome :)

Your posts are really insightful, thank you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sideswipe wrote: »
    yyfuwwp7qt101.jpg

damn autocorrect. I meant mild and wet :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Your posts are really insightful, thank you.

But yet I won’t be wrong :) you’re welcome :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Loughc wrote: »
    Warm and Wet.

You're welcome :)

unlikely to be as mild/warm as last winter. We may see several attempts of something seasonal this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Gonzo wrote: »
    unlikely to be as mild/warm as last winter. We may see several attempts of something seasonal this year.

Oooh yes please! Last winter was meh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I know it's still technically Autumn but I think the winter has been excellent so far. Some great bluebird days, snow in the mountains, snow in lowland parts already, a super frost yesterday....more of the same please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I know it's still technically Autumn but I think the winter has been excellent so far. Some great bluebird days, snow in the mountains, snow in lowland parts already, a super frost yesterday....more of the same please!

the cold is on the way out now and being replaced by mild or very mild conditions for the remainder of this month and possibly first week of December. There has been a few suggestions of brief cold shots into December, but these quickly get removed on following runs. Hopefully we may see something more seasonal into the second half of December, we will have to wait a week or two to see what the crystal ball shows us.

Hopefully we may see something more seasonal into the second half of December, we will have to wait a week or two to see what the crystal ball shows us.

Don't do that, don't give us hope... it's the hope that kills you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Im sure the weather will liven up as December arrives it usually does...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'd imagine we'll have widespread cold and snow from the east and northeast before the new year into January maybe,then mild thereafter
    If it's your thing,enjoy that cold spell,it'll be 2 weeks plus in length I'd expect which might include xmas
    Just guessing that on the strat runs and that its random affects after last year will see NW Europe and into our islands very cold winds this time instead
    One to watch anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'd imagine we'll have widespread cold and snow from the east and northeast before the new year into January maybe,then mild thereafter
    If it's your thing,enjoy that cold spell,it'll be 2 weeks plus in length I'd expect which might include xmas
    Just guessing that on the strat runs and that its random affects after last year will see NW Europe and into our islands very cold winds this time instead
    One to watch anyway

You correctly predicted sea effect snow for winter 2017-18 so I hope you're correct again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

One to watch anyway

2010 called, they want their forecast back. ;)

I would love to hope you're right, but given how the country shuts down over the tiniest flake of snow, I dread to think what might happen if this came to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The sky out here as the light was birthing over the mountains was pure, sheer winter monochrome... gray, deep and pale, white, black, Just layer after layer of colourless grey.

Dramatic and lovely in its inimitable way . Just beautiful. pure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

After a long wet spell comes the inevitable dry settled and anticyclonic spell.
    I was hoping the high would be centred in a favourable position but YET another 'winter eater' anticyclone is looking a certainty now.
    I would be inclined to write off December and at least the first half of January at this stage.
    I know I'll get the 'how can you write off winter before it's started' reaction but a long dry and settled spell ALWAYS comes after a long wet spell and it ain't looking good folks.

ECM1-240.GIF?23-12
    gfs-0-240.png?6?6

After a long wet spell comes the inevitable dry settled and anticyclonic spell.
    I was hoping the high would be centred in a favourable position but YET another 'winter eater' anticyclone is looking a certainty now

At this stage I more than welcome a month of dry weather, the place is saturated and flooding is starting to become a real concern. December is also looking increasingly mild or very mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The jetstream profile going into December makes for grim viewing. I can't see it being settled for long. Having said that UK Met office does not see it being all that mild in the first half of December:

28th November to December 7th

Thursday looks to be unsettled with areas of rain or showers initially. The rain may become lighter and patchier later allowing for some bright spells to develop. Temperatures around average in the south, but beginning to turn colder in the north. Next weekend looks to be rather unsettled, with some sunny spells and showers, which could turn wintry even to low ground in the north. Cold or rather cold in the north, with widespread frost and ice likely, but perhaps mild for a time in the far south and southwest. The beginning of December looks to remain cold for many, as the potential for wintry showers in the north continues and may spread to higher ground in the south. The best chance of dry weather in the south/southeast.

December 8th to 22nd

The period is likely to begin on the cold side for most regions, with wintry showers at times in the north, and perhaps over high ground in the south. Widespread frosts and ice are also likely. There looks to be a change around mid-month to milder conditions, although the timing is very uncertain. This change looks likely to bring milder and wetter conditions across most parts of the UK, allowing temperatures to recover to around average, or perhaps slightly above. The wettest conditions are likely to be in the north and west, with an increased likelihood of drier spells in the south and southeast. Colder interludes are still possible, mainly in the north.

Cold. Only word that fits. I had an early errand, as light was flowering rose-gold, and even the cat refused to follow. He who loves walks. Should have heeded him ;)

Bitter cold along the shore line. By the time I turned for home ( thoughts of hot coffee..) I had lost my hands. Gone...

Still, chill, iced air. The ocean sky had greyed over when home reached out to embrace me.

Clear now and chill. Lovely day indeed. But icy hearted

West mayo offshore island.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graces7 wrote: »
    Cold. Only word that fits. I had an early errand, as light was flowering rose-gold, and even the cat refused to follow. He who loves walks. Should have heeded him ;)

Bitter cold along the shore line. By the time I turned for home ( thoughts of hot coffee..) I had lost my hands. Gone...

Still, chill, iced air. The ocean sky had greyed over when home reached out to embrace me.

Clear now and chill. Lovely day indeed. But icy hearted

West mayo offshore island.

Where were you when I was doing my leaving cert English ?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Where were you when I was doing my leaving cert English ?

lol.. depends how old you are! I was a teacher of English many years but of late just been soaking up the peace and beauty

It is around me 24/7 .. at every window..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Weather really starting to liven up now on recent charts as we go into December...Lots of potential for storms and wintry weather:)

• Advertisement

One to watch anyway

While it's true we can get cold outbreaks without a SSW, our chances of a notable snowy period are greater with one. Looking at the current charts i'm not confident we'll get a SSW before Christmas.

So if we do get a sudden stratospheric warming, it could be late January before we see its effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

While it's true we can get cold outbreaks without a SSW, our chances of a notable snowy period are greater with one. Looking at the current charts i'm not confident we'll get a SSW before Christmas.

So if we do get a sudden stratospheric warming, it could be late January before we see its effects.

F**k the SSW. We don’t need it. It’s a tease most of the time.

esposito wrote: »
    F**k the SSW. We don’t need it. It’s a tease most of the time.

Well the ECM has just shown we don't need a SSW to get snow, but for something prolonged we usually do, because the high will usually topple due to
    too much energy over the top of it

Well the ECM has just shown we don't need a SSW to get snow, but for something prolonged we usually do, because the high will usually topple due to
    too much energy over the top of it

The ECM looks nice this evening but it is very, very short lived.

Just watched Gavs latest long range updates for the winter and it is grim stuff indeed with the Atlantic unleashed and mostly mild or very mild conditions right up to the end of February, no northern blocking in sight untill hints of it near March.

As we know from last winter, the long range models can't be relied upon and things could turn out quiet different, let's hope they do for this winter.

The ECM looks nice this evening but it is very, very short lived.

Just watched Gavs latest long range updates for the winter and it is grim stuff indeed with the Atlantic unleashed and mostly mild or very mild conditions right up to the end of February, no northern blocking in sight untill hints of it near March.

As we know from last winter, the long range models can't be relied upon and things could turn out quiet different, let's hope they do for this winter.

How accurate was his forecast last year? . Let's just hope the current Solar miminum cycle has a big role to play that the long range models have discounted.
    A winter as mild as last year would be awful

How accurate was his forecast last year? . Let's just hope the current Solar miminum cycle has a big role to play that the long range models have discounted.
    A winter as mild as last year would be awful

I'm hoping the forecast is wrong again this year. Wasn't really his fault that the forecast didn't go according to plan last year. The long term models had a winter mostly dominated by northern blocking, very cold conditions and the January SSW event, of course we all know how last winter went pear shaped to say the least.

His forecast today is based on similar models, but they are going for an endless run of wet and mild conditions, not just for the UK and Ireland, but much of Europe too with some very mild anomalies, these could be overcooked.

Winter is still a week away, so plenty of time for these long range predictions to change. If the conditions of the past 3 months were to persist all the way to March, I think i'd lose my marbles.

Gonzo are you ok? You've been very pessimistic and moany of late.

Gonzo are you ok? You've been very pessimistic and moany of late.

I'm grand, but the rain over the past 2 to 3 months has been excessive and I've had to deal with flooding on several occasions. i think a few weeks of dry weather would do many of us the world of good.

I'm grand, but the rain over the past 2 to 3 months has been excessive and I've had to deal with flooding on several occasions. i think a few weeks of dry weather would do many of us the world of good.

Agreed, monthly rainfall totals have been very strange in Cork this year.

Approx Rainfall Vs. LTA

Jan - 50%
    Apr - 200%
    May - 50%
    Jun - 200%
    Jul - 50%
    Oct - 200%

• Advertisement

Agreed, monthly rainfall totals have been very strange in Cork this year.

Approx Rainfall Vs. LTA

Jan - 50%
    Apr - 200%
    May - 50%
    Jun - 200%
    Jul - 50%
    Oct - 200%

My local station would be something like this:

Jan - 48%
    Feb - 44%
    Mar - 139%
    Apr - 93%