Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unusual September chill possible?

• 11-09-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

ok i saw a post on a site that the uk is looking like it will get a unusually early cold spell during the second half of September..do yous think we will get a bit of it? here is tha link http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeah would't surpirse me in the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Funny that, I've just been looking at the GFS and it does have a hint of a cold Arctic outbreak. It all starts this week when a cold pool currently west of Greenland enters the Atlantic and moves eastwards, bringing rain and strong winds Monday night/Tuesday, and setting itself up as a stationary vortex before moving east slightly, allowing the chance of a northerly outbreak on its western flank next weekend.

What was in the back of my mind, and the actual reason I was looking, was that Ken Ring did mention months ago a "chance of snow in some parts around the 3rd week of September"......so could he be onto something??!! I can't see there being snow, but it could well be a chilly end to the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

gens-0-1-78.png?12

bring back owenc,imagine the rant we'd got over this,snow drifts etc.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

doesn't really look like being anywhere near cold enough for snow but i do stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable people on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

By the looks of the chart id say the scottish highlands may be snowed on:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

skipz wrote: »
    By the looks of the chart id say the scottish highlands may be snowed on:)

Maybe! but at the same time, it does not look like anything out of the ordinary for early autumn. September can, and normally does, bring the first real chill of the season.

October and November though are the real autumn month's in my opinion. That is when the Atlantic really starts to shape itself up!

Hopefully it will this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Maybe! but at the same time, it does not look like anything out of the ordinary for early autumn. September can, and normally does, bring the first real chill of the season.

October and November though are the real autumn month's in my opinion. That is when the Atlantic really starts to shape itself up!

Hopefully it will this year. :)

Its been too long since I experienced a good windstorm! That reminds me DE, I think you mentioned on another thread you had a book on the night of the big wind. Did you get that in a local bookshop or online somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Su Campu wrote: »
    What was in the back of my mind, and the actual reason I was looking, was that Ken Ring did mention months ago a "chance of snow in some parts around the 3rd week of September"......so could he be onto something??!! I can't see there being snow, but it could well be a chilly end to the month.

He actually siad precipitation and sub zero temperatures which MAY lead to snow/sleet/hail/cold rain . . .

He actually siad precipitation and sub zero temperatures which MAY lead to snow/sleet/hail/cold rain . . .

Well the precipitation bit goes without saying:rolleyes: but the sub-zero bit?

I can't see it happening, it is still only FI afterall. Some sub-zero nighttime radiational minima are very possible, but I can't see how we can get a cold enough airmass for snow to us yet, where would it come from with sea temperatures at their warmest now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I can't see it happening, it is still only FI afterall. Some sub-zero nighttime radiational minima are very possible, but I can't see how we can get a cold enough airmass for snow to us yet, where would it come from with sea temperatures at their warmest now?

Maybe if some cold air came from scandanavia over a cold england and wales??? but ken said very localised in the north midlands . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Northerly plunges are a waste at this time of year - I tend to beleive we have a certain quota every year so its best to keep them for when they'l deleiver the goods ie. Dec-Feb:)

I've been looking at the ME station extremes here and some of the inland stations have recorded September absolute minima of -1 to -2°C, most probably due to nightime frosts. Even to get an arctic outbreak from Scandinavia, with the North Sea temperatures around 15°C, it just won't work. Hell, it's hard enough to get it to work in January!!! :D

Its been too long since I experienced a good windstorm! That reminds me DE, I think you mentioned on another thread you had a book on the night of the big wind. Did you get that in a local bookshop or online somewhere?

Hey Maq,

It was Peter Carr's The Night of the Big Wind that I referred too. Yep, I got it years ago in a musty old second hand book shop in Galway. I have it read to death.

The narration is very much in informal documentary style. It deals with the story of the people and their personal and collective experiences of the storm. It also gives a brief meteorological analysis with some old and revised synoptic details. One of the best features of the book is that it gives an account of the storm, and its aftermath, including newpaper reports, from nearly every major town in the country!

If you have trouble getting your hands on a copy just give me a shout and I can send it too you no bother. :)

Birdnuts!

I totally agree. All this talk of snow and will it/won't it in September is head-wrecking!

Autumn is here, let us celebrate its glorious racing dark skies, its howling gales, its driving rain and its shortening days. To hell with snow! (for another few months anyway :p)

Hey Maq,

It was Peter Carr's The Night of the Big Wind that I referred too. Yep, I got it years ago in a musty old second hand book shop in Galway. I have it read to death.

The narration is very much in informal documentary style. It deals with the story of the people and their personal and collective experiences of the storm. It also gives a brief meteorological analysis with some old and revised synoptic details. One of the best features of the book is that it gives an account of the storm, and its aftermath, including newpaper reports, from nearly every major town in the country!

If you have trouble getting your hands on a copy just give me a shout and I can send it too you no bother. :)

Thanks for the info DE, the book sounds great. Thanks a mil for the offer but youre grand, I'll have a hunt on ebay and in the old bookshops for it! :)

Btw, if you like old weather related books I really recommend Eric Sloane's Weather Almanac (or anything by Eric Sloane). The books were written in the 50s I think but reprinted recently. Sort of part weather lore, part social history, part educational with great illustrations by Sloane.

http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Sloanes-Weather-Almanac-Sloane/dp/0896586804

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

To hell with snow!

Man snow wouldn't be any good in hell - it would evaporate before it got anywhere near the ground! You'd get no skiing at all...which would make it truly hell :(

Well, whatever about unusual, there is certainly a more seasonal outlook for the coming week. Latest model prognosis for midday Wednesday:

127343.png

The same model has the slight chance of a cool ridge building in thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks for the info DE, the book sounds great. Thanks a mil for the offer but youre grand, I'll have a hunt on ebay and in the old bookshops for it! :)

Btw, if you like old weather related books I really recommend Eric Sloane's Weather Almanac (or anything by Eric Sloane). The books were written in the 50s I think but reprinted recently. Sort of part weather lore, part social history, part educational with great illustrations by Sloane.

http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Sloanes-Weather-Almanac-Sloane/dp/0896586804

My all time favourite novel. The Big Wind by Beatrice Coogan.
    The Big Wind is a classic novel spanning an entire generation of Irish history, set in the tumultuous times of the 19th century. From the infamous Big Wind of 1839, the greatest storm ever recorded in Ireland, to the Great Famine and the land war between the starving Irish peasants and the Anglo-Saxon landlords, Beatrice Coogan brings alive the loves, cruelties and injustices of the times. An amazing feat of skilfully woven drama, romance and fact, The Big Wind has been justly compared to Gone With the Wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

If the daytime maxes out at 9 or 10c which it might and the night time goes near zero which too is possible and then there is a stream of showers from the northern regions pouring down over us with hail mixed in, then a heavy haily sleety shower on a mountain top could make it appear white to a casual observer.

Hell we had a white christmas one year but on closer investigation it was just loads of hailstones on the ground.

But a distinct chill is possible for week3 but it will be messy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ah you always play down the chances of snow anyway:p
    Although you may be right this time;)

18Z GFS at T156.

Sub-zero in the midlands :

10ftm60.png

classic_sub_zero.gif

:pac:

• Advertisement

I don't know where you're getting your information from, this is the forecast for midday next Sunday! :pac:

127399.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

526.jpg

i'm confident this is the scene i'll awake up to the week after next:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

526.jpg

i'm confident this is the scene i'll awake up to the week after next:pac:

ah lads are we not getting a bit carried away here... a bit early for this sort of talk... i'll believe it when i see it....??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

dexter647 wrote: »
    ah lads are we not getting a bit carried away here... a bit early for this sort of talk... i'll believe it when i see it....??
    down-with-this-sort-of-thing1.jpg

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Hey Maq, It was Peter Carr's The Night of the Big Wind that I referred too. )

Interesting how they described the Aurora Borealis and how they were afraid its retun in the night sky a few day later would herald in another monster storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

pauldry wrote: »
    Hell we had a white christmas one year but on closer investigation it was just loads of hailstones on the ground.

Hate to rub it in, but last Christmas where I was, we got a proper white Christmas, with white powdery snow - the kind you see on TV - AND there were a few snow showers that day too. Absolutely magical.

Looks like my white Christmas will be coming early this year :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Hate to rub it in, but last Christmas where I was, we got a proper white Christmas, with white powdery snow - the kind you see on TV - AND there were a few snow showers that day too. Absolutely magical.

Looks like my white Christmas will be coming early this year :D;)

Where were you last Christmas ? Dublin?

Cos I was in Dublin last Christmas (Dec 25th - 6th January) and we had proper white powdery snow, very harsh frost, sub zero daytime temps and a low of about -12oc!! :)

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

derekon wrote: »
    Where were you last Christmas ? Dublin?

Cos I was in Dublin last Christmas (Dec 25th - 6th January) and we had proper white powdery snow, very harsh frost, sub zero daytime temps and a low of about -12oc!! :)

Derek
    Have you got a photo dated 25th of decemeber to back up your white christmas ?
    That day the snow was chiefly in Donegal with none forecast for the east.
    A real white christmas , it just started to snow as I was eating christmas dinner. It was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Pangea wrote: »
    Have you got a photo dated 25th of decemeber to back up your white christmas ?
    That day the snow was chiefly in Donegal with none forecast for the east.
    A real white christmas , it just started to snow as I was eating christmas dinner. It was beautiful.

No, I did not say it snowed on Christmas DAY! It snowed during the Christmas period - hence the dateline Dec 25th - 6th January !

Last White Christmas in Dublin was in 2004

Derekon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Cos I was in Dublin last Christmas (Dec 25th - 6th January) and we had proper white powdery snow

Derek
    No, I did not say it snowed on Christmas DAY! It snowed during the Christmas period - hence the dateline Dec 25th - 6th January !

Last White Christmas in Dublin was in 2004

Derekon
    I thought as much, but you did mention include the date 25th along with proper white powdery snow so that would imply you had snow on the 25th for people that wouldnt know better, ya dont fool me lol ;),anyways thanks for clearing that up.

Advertisement