Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/sleet REPORTS - 23/11/2010 onwards

• 23-11-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I'm going to open this thread now just to try and keep the forecasting dicussion about the upcoming wintry spell separate from the actually reports. As things get colder and reports become more plentiful i will try and open a new thread for reports every day so that things don't get to clustered.

Post any reports of snow/sleet/hail or any other current weather reports relevant to the cold spell here.

ps Don't forget to add your location to your profile (or post where you are reporting from) so people know where you are;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

We've had a few heavy hail showers here in Letterkenny, had a bit of sleet mixed in this morning but its just been rain & hail since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

(just a request. When posting here could you actually state location. I and I'm sure others follow this on my mobile and the mobile version doesn't show a posters location. Thanks 67 )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

Snow on top of Neiphin Latitude: 54.013289 Longitude: -9.368352 806 metres

A dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A dusting on the dublin mountains , dunno which one buts its the one with the radio tower on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Iancar29 wrote: »
    A dusting on the dublin mountains , dunno which one buts its the one with the radio tower on it :)

Is that Three Rock Mountain you reckon or Kippure Mountain?

• Advertisement

Is that Three Rock Mountain you reckon or Kippure Mountain?

Kippure i think, that would be the one further to the right wouldnt it.

I live in finglas and checked from my window this morning with d oul binoculars. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Yep thats Kippure alright.
    It had large patches of snow last year from december right through to early April. It was great for snowboarding on until mid march.
    Im hoping for something similar to happen this year. It should go white this weekend and fingers crossed should stay that way till march :p

Cool, planning on goin up there with the lidl snow boards as soon as they are on sale ( hopefully soon enough! ) :)

And just checked , kippure is roughly 740 m asl... so id say its around 0 o C up there if im correct?

Yeah its 757m officially. So roughly 5 degrees colder up there. Maybe 6c because the city tends to be warmer than countryside too. It could be 6c and raining in Dublin and snowing on top of Kippure. All depends on the upper temps too though.
    This is a thread from last year about snow in wicklow.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776034&page=9
    You can see the patch that built up during the cold spell, that didnt melt till April. Its the most accessible high mountain near Dublin I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Just in the middle of a sleet shower at the moment here in Fermanagh. Can clearly see little bits of ice on the window. Totally unscientific car thermometer showing 7 C.

• Advertisement

Yeah its 757m officially. So roughly 5 degrees colder up there. Maybe 6c because the city tends to be warmer than countryside too. It could be 6c and raining in Dublin and snowing on top of Kippure. All depends on the upper temps too though.
    This is a thread from last year about snow in wicklow.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776034&page=9
    You can see the patch that built up during the cold spell, that didnt melt till April. Its the most accessible high mountain near Dublin I reckon.

Awh now i definitely want to go up as soon as a good bit of snow falls up there :), if lidl dont hav that sale on would u know a good place to buy a cheap enough board or even skis?

TheFairy wrote: »
    Just in the middle of a sleet shower at the moment here in Fermanagh. Can clearly see little bits of ice on the window. Totally unscientific car thermometer showing 7 C.

take a picture or video :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Reports beginning to come in of falling snow in Northeastern England down to low levels.

Mountains apparently had a few inches last night.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Awh now i definitely want to go up as soon as a good bit of snow falls up there :), if lidl dont hav that sale on would u know a good place to buy a cheap enough board or even skis?
    Im not too knowlegable about snowsports equipment. I got that lidl board purely for snow in Ireland though cause it was cheap enough. I had snowboard boots already which cost as much as the board.
    Maybe check the snowsports forum, for good 2nd hand prices.
    I got my boots off this place http://www.irishsnowboards.com
    Might have some decent boards there too.

Im not too knowlegable about snowsports equipment. I got that lidl board purely for snow in Ireland though cause it was cheap enough. I had snowboard boots already which cost as much as the board.
    Maybe check the snowsports forum, for good 2nd hand prices.
    I got my boots off this place http://www.irishsnowboards.com
    Might have some decent boards there too.

Thanks, hopefully lidl will hav boards on sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Meath:
    Monday - Rain
    Tuesday - Rain
    Wednesday - Sunny/Cold.

No snow yet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Roads are like a bottle here in Donegal, all the rain from this evening is frozen solid on the cars etc.
    Just had a shower of hail/sleet there, thought it was snow for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Pangea wrote: »
    Roads are like a bottle here in Donegal, all the rain from this evening is frozen solid on the cars etc.
    Just had a shower of hail/sleet there, thought it was snow for a second.

Just give it 'till 29 of November.

:D

Is it just me or is this thread a little confusing given that we have a current weather conditions sticky? Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

irish1967 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this thread a little confusing given that we have a current weather conditions sticky? Just saying.

It's just to try and keep the discussion thread from getting too clogged up, as when the white stuff starts to fall many members from other parts of the site with begin to report and ignore the current conditions thread:p If people find it confusing though i can close it down either:)

• Advertisement

I can confrim that there is snow on the hill here in donegal :D
    I could see the white stuff even in the dark. A good dusting.

20 miles south of ye Pangea and it raining heavy. Heavy enough to mess with the satellite TV. :(

irish1967 wrote: »
    20 miles south of ye Pangea and it raining heavy. Heavy enough to mess with the satellite TV. :(
    20 miles east you mean :pac:
    No snow here in lower levels ,had sleet earlier though.
    Roads are very icy out there. Flashbacks to last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Slight drizzle around Ballybofey, roads very slippery

Sleet and hail here in Letterkenny, the hail isnt melting in places and most parked cars are all white from it. Roads and pavements have been frozen since before 7pm which I think is the earliest so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

nothing to report in,goatstown d 14, but cars are freezing over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Just to confirm it snowing lightly here at the moment.:)

Not sure what we're having here exactly, it looks like snow at first glance in the way it blows around in the wind but then when you go out in it its more like a very light hail

Had another heavy but brief shower of it there, dont think we're going to get much more than that tonight so off to bed I think

Just had a shower of wet snow here in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

First snow of the winter here in sligo although i'm quite high up here , just a good old dusting !:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement