Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is this a permanent move to the new site?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

arctictree wrote: »
    New website is awful on a mobile. I can't zoom out on the radar. What was actually wrong with the old one?

Yes you can zoom out ,all be it only as far as the radar's cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I was trying to find a reason for the website change and this is all I dug up https://www.met.ie/met-eireann-launch-of-new-website-met-ie-and-apps-on-18th-april

The Met Eireann director said

“Met Éireann intends this Website to play an important educational role in informing the public on climate issues. We plan to further develop this digital platform over the coming years to play our part in engaging and educating young people, in particular, on STEM related issues"

They could have left things the way they were rather than dumbing it down. To facilitate STEM they have probably take a backwards step to begin with. The newer App could have designed to use the information that was already there on the original website.
    What does he mean by "digital platform"? are they trying to link in social media, ads and all that sh1te? It's akin to bringing politics into sport, they don't mix very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

Joe Public wrote: »
    I was trying to find a reason for the website change and this is all I dug up https://www.met.ie/met-eireann-launch-of-new-website-met-ie-and-apps-on-18th-april

“Met Éireann intends this Website to play an important educational role in informing the public on climate issues. We plan to further develop this digital platform over the coming years to play our part in engaging and educating young people, in particular, on STEM related issues"

They could have left things the way they were rather than dumbing it down. To facilitate STEM they have probably take a backwards step to begin with. The newer App could have designed to use the information that was already there on the original website.
    What does he mean by "digital platform"? are they trying to link in social media, ads and all that sh1te? It's akin to bringing politics into sport, they don't mix very well.

You can be sure that any digital consultant they hired didn't advise them that their site was actually fine the way it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Other than looking a little dated, the old site was perfect.

The new site, while modern looking, has still many functionality issues, especially on the app. Loading times are much slower, location doesn't load upon opening (you need to go into something else on the app and then return to the home screen for it to load). There's no option to look at other province's forecasts on the app, you need to manually set your location as different places in different proviences in order to see each forecast.

While the worst of the issues have been sorted and both app and website are very usable, it is an unsatisfactory replacement.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »

While the worst of the issues have been sorted and both app and website are very usable, it is an unsatisfactory replacement.

And note the launch date was 18th April 2018

Is there still some contractor getting paid to debug it?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Old site on IOS but not with Safari browser works still . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Last September I queried (complained about) the new website/app, and asked why they changed and was the new app the final product?

This is the reply I got at the time (meant to post it then, but forgot), I wasn't a lot the wiser at the time, and I'm seriously disappointed that the new app is still the same mess as it was then.

Im very sorry to hear you are not happy with the new website navigation and particularly the radar display. True the old 3 hour, short range and 5 day forecast links are gone, but we have combined all this and the radar into the one Weather Map on www.met.ie homepage. In fact we have combined all our most popular products onto the homepage, so users no longer have to find them on a variety of other pages as you did on the old site. We are now working on uploading a page with long range radar (with a longer interval), I hope this can be released in the next month. You may prefer the visual presentation it offers. This will be available in our Latest Reports menu.
    A lot of your queries below are answered in the Website and App help page which has been on the website since last summer https://www.met.ie/about-us/help-page
    Im not sure why you cannot access the rainfall radar on the app. When you open it, the blue pin centres on your location, showing the most recent rainfall image from the radar. Tap this and it goes into the map screen where Rainfall Radar loop is the default view, with the square map options to the right.
    Im afraid the archive site will be closing within the next few months. All our products-and more- are on the new site. I really hope you can take some time to go through the help page above and maybe play the video there, which shows how to access the main features. If you still have any other queries, please let me know.
    The old site was written in a programming language that is no longer in use. A lot of our products are being updated by manufacturers etc, so we realised a few years ago we had to develop a new platform in collaboration with our web developers. We also needed a new platform using new programming language, to upload new weather forecast and climate products for the public.
    Again, I am extremely sorry for both the extremely late response from us and for the difficulties in accessing the products you need.
    Best regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The old website was badly in need of an upgrade to be fair, it wasn't optimised for mobile (which makes up a huge percentage of internet usage these days) and the functionality was really limited compared to most other modern weather websites.

I was prepared to give the new site a pass when it was first released, it was a big step up on mobile and has some nice new features but I assumed it was a v1 product that'd be incrementally improved based on feedback.

Instead they've changed basically nothing for all the feedback and despite some ridiculous design features (why do I have to scroll down past Dublin Airports current weather when checking hourly reports?!). The homepage is also hideous on mobile with the header taking up half the page, the half zoomed osm radar, the huge block of text explaining what the radar does etc.

It still could be a decent website if they built on feedback but presumably the contractor were just paid a lump sum to build it and we're now stuck with it for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I still find the Android ME app nothing short of vexatious to use.

there is no simple straightforward rain radar map of the island of Ireland.

The first radar display automatically zooms into Munster (my location) and from there I have to click 'Maps - recent rainfall' which brings me to a another map of Ireland which is partly obscured by a column of silly cartoon-like symbols down the right side of the screen.

I then have to pinch the screen to reduce the map to a size where I can see the entire map of Ireland. Maybe one day they'll get it right.

• Advertisement

Ironically, the best ME radar display is the one they use for Twitter but it doesn't seem to be offered to the public, sadly.

[URL="[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gwcjg4][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48255746601_13f3de35a8_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2gwcjg4]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/72063932@N00/]Tipp55[/url], on Flickr"][/url]48255746601_13f3de35a8_b.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Comhra wrote: »
    Ironically, the best ME radar display is the one they use for Twitter but it doesn't seem to be offered to the public, sadly.

[URL="[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gwcjg4][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48255746601_13f3de35a8_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2gwcjg4]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/72063932@N00/]Tipp55[/url], on Flickr"][/url]48255746601_13f3de35a8_b.jpg

Have to agree. This radar is the best Met Eireann have but they don’t provide public access to it. Hopefully feedback from this forum can be taken on board and we can finally gain access to these maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone notice the forecast for next Tuesday? They were predicting a complete washout - an inch in day sort of level this afternoon, this evening it's downgraded to showers and 8-9mm. A big change for just the one extra run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

The old website was badly in need of an upgrade to be fair, it wasn't optimised for mobile (which makes up a huge percentage of internet usage these days) and the functionality was really limited compared to most other modern weather websites.

I was prepared to give the new site a pass when it was first released, it was a big step up on mobile and has some nice new features but I assumed it was a v1 product that'd be incrementally improved based on feedback.

Instead they've changed basically nothing for all the feedback and despite some ridiculous design features (why do I have to scroll down past Dublin Airports current weather when checking hourly reports?!). The homepage is also hideous on mobile with the header taking up half the page, the half zoomed osm radar, the huge block of text explaining what the radar does etc.

It still could be a decent website if they built on feedback but presumably the contractor were just paid a lump sum to build it and we're now stuck with it for the next decade.

Built by Fusio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

The old mobile site is now back. Please ME don't change it. Us farmers really rely on the radar to see what's coming when we are out in the fields.

The old mobile site is now back. Please ME don't change it. Us farmers really rely on the radar to see what's coming when we are out in the fields.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I afraid our hope is in vain. Spotted today on http://archive.met.ie:
    This is our previous website which will soon be unavailable. Please use our new website at www.met.ie. The new Met Éireann app is now also available in your app store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another bit of stupidity I discovered yesterday. So my fault I had to set my location because I'd cleared cookies when sorting out an internet problem but then because it was raining I couldn't find where to put the blue marker over the blue rain that was covering over the outline of the coast giving me no chance to set my location accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Joe Public wrote: »

I suppose teaching people how not to redesign a website is technically educating people on STEM related issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone notice the forecast for next Tuesday? They were predicting a complete washout - an inch in day sort of level this afternoon, this evening it's downgraded to showers and 8-9mm. A big change for just the one extra run.

And of course it was basically dry and sunny.
    WEATHER STATION REPORTS FROM JOHNSTOWN CASTLE

Rainfall 0.1
    Max Temp 20.5
    Min Temp 13.0
    Grass Min Temp 9.3
    Mean Wind Speed 6.5
    Max Gust
    Sunshine 10.6

16/07/2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met has been awarded the universal design award for their site. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/meteireann/status/1171870264495353857?s=21

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Surely that should be the “Universal Bad Design Award”?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hate the way every time you look at anything on the site that stupid map comes up. I never use it. Just pan it out of the way

Also hate the way the forecast day by day for location is never right and I have to google forecast instead.

Like some aspects of the site but the above really annoy me.

They have to change for the sake of change to keep up to date......

It's a bit like RTE wanting to change to Digital radio and it backfired because no one wanted it because FM is more than good enough for radio but they tried to sell the "benefits" such as "better sound" no need to "tune" but most modern car radios for instance don't need to be tuned and the sound is crap using mp2 codec designed in 1986 pre-dating Mp3 !!!!

What a load of crap.

Bring back the old, "clean" met.ie site.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Surely that should be the “Universal Bad Design Award”?

Who came 2nd? was there any competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pauldry wrote: »
    Hate the way every time you look at anything on the site that stupid map comes up. I never use it. Just pan it out of the way

Also hate the way the forecast day by day for location is never right and I have to google forecast instead.

Like some aspects of the site but the above really annoy me.

The site is a great source of precious data and for a quick look at the temperature forecast table C/O their model, but have no other real reason to go into it otherwise. The new 'Atlantic charts' are horrible and not a patch on the much less cluttered, cleaner and to the point frontal maps they once had.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The site is a great source of precious data and for a quick look at the temperature forecast table C/O their model, but have no other real reason to go into it otherwise. The new 'Atlantic charts' are horrible and not a patch on the much less cluttered, cleaner and to the point frontal maps they once had.

Except that the quick look has been wrong so many times for the Dublin area that I have given up on using the app and site. I just don’t trust it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anybody having issues with the Met Eireann App on iPhone ?

There was an update today with the notification features being added. Have updated the app and now it won’t even start up.

Advertisement