Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain Getting Tattoo

• 17-06-2019 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Had a tattoo, must be nearly 20 years ago on my chest (about 10cm diameter) remember it as being very sore getting done.

Today I got a cover up much bigger tribal tattoo (delighted with it :) ) but the pain I felt was almost unbearable while the people in the chairs around me were all not a bother!

Is this normal? Of course people have different thresholds but this seemed extreme to me. Am I just a woos??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Had a tattoo, must be nearly 20 years ago on my chest (about 10cm diameter) remember it as being very sore getting done.

Today I got a cover up much bigger tribal tattoo (delighted with it :) ) but the pain I felt was almost unbearable while the people in the chairs around me were all not a bother!

Is this normal? Of course people have different thresholds but this seemed extreme to me. Am I just a woos??

It’s an annoying answer I guess, but it’s the truth: everyone is different and everyone has different pain thresholds. I’ve been tattooed in spots that I thought were a breeze, while others would swear it was the worse spot in the world pain wise. On the flip side, I’ve also been tattooed in spots that killed, yet others thought were a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It’s an annoying answer I guess, but it’s the truth: everyone is different and everyone has different pain thresholds. I’ve been tattooed in spots that I thought were a breeze, while others would swear it was the worse spot in the world pain wise. On the flip side, I’ve also been tattooed in spots that killed, yet others thought were a breeze.

This is it everyone is different, also same person different day and things can be different,

Did you sleep well, where you tired , where you hungry, where you hydrated ? What was your mind set ? where you ready for some pain ?

I got my ribs done and it was a breeze , When I say breeze I mean sore but nothing more than expected ,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My last tattoo took 4 hours I didn't find it too bad pain wise parts stung but nothing major ,
    The chap beside me was getting small flowers added to a sleeve and he was literally in tears for most parts and vocal about his pain didn't help he was 6"4 built like a tank ,
    As above no two of us are the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

I mean you want a needle cut into your skin to make some scrawl then you put up with the pain.

What bout the emotional pain of getting inked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Alpha_zero wrote: »

?????

It's a voluntary process,it's hardly Auschwitz.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

emotional pain of getting inked....****ing jesus the ****e people post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

emotional pain of getting inked....****ing jesus the ****e people post

Low class and Ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

My smallest tattoo is a very simple little thing on my thigh, only took about 20 minutes. It was the
    only one where I almost had to ask for a break!

First one was inner upper arm which is one of the spots you'd hear people say is pretty bad and that was a doddle for me.

Be well rested and hydrated (and if you have a menstrual cycle take that into account when making appointments) and it'll help but there's no certainty about how you'll react in any given spot or on any given day.

Glad you're happy with the cover up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Low class and Ink.

Jacob Rees Mogg,is that you ??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I mean you want a needle cut into your skin to make some scrawl then you put up with the pain.

Low class and Ink.

Keep it up and Ill ban you from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I find the pain gets worse as you get older.
    I used to be able to do 6+ hours no bother but that threshold is down to probably 3 nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My smallest tattoo is a very simple little thing on my thigh, only took about 20 minutes. It was the
    only one where I almost had to ask for a break!

First one was inner upper arm which is one of the spots you'd hear people say is pretty bad and that was a doddle for me.

Be well rested and hydrated (and if you have a menstrual cycle take that into account when making appointments) and it'll help but there's no certainty about how you'll react in any given spot or on any given day.

Glad you're happy with the cover up!

Had multiple hours on my thigh, and he started right above the kneecap, and I'd not really eaten before either (I know, I know!), and I got cold sweats, nausea and light-headedness, and had to take a break after a few minutes! The rest of the tattoo was an absolute doddle.

We're all different, so pain levels per area will vary greatly from person to person by quite a margin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

my soul burns !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My half sleeve took about 6 hours. It was fine for the first v5.5 hours, but the final 30 minutes went up onto my boney shoulder and I could feel the vibration going through me, I could feel it in my teeth and I got the shivers... All very mild and easy to deal with, but it just shows the pressures that prolonged tattooing can have on your body... in fairness, you are penetrating your sking with a needle constantly for hours on end...

I had just come off an eight hour flight and didn't finish up until about 3.30am... so that could have exagerated it... I wouldn't have called it pain, more fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Bluefoam wrote: »
    My half sleeve took about 6 hours. It was fine for the first v5.5 hours, but the final 30 minutes went up onto my boney shoulder and I could feel the vibration going through me, I could feel it in my teeth and I got the shivers... All very mild and easy to deal with, but it just shows the pressures that prolonged tattooing can have on your body... in fairness, you are penetrating your sking with a needle constantly for hours on end...

I had just come off an eight hour flight and didn't finish up until about 3.30am... so that could have exagerated it... I wouldn't have called it pain, more fatigue.

I always find, however long the tattoo takes, the last 20 min are always the worst. Especially if you're like me and you tend to zone in on the artist working on you. I think your brain knows it's almost there and that makes it harder to deal with? Not sure.

Best recommendation for those situations is really to find a way to zone out. My artist now tends to save all his chat for the last 20 mins because he knows that's when I struggle, wether we're doing a 1 hour or a 5 hour session

Got work done last Friday on my ribs, 2.5hrs on it wasn't sore at all,

Now when I say sore I mean I was never in proper pain, there was a couple of time I felt discomfort but it's a tattoo its not suppose to feel good,

I hear ribs is suppose to "sore" this is m second rib tattoo and both have been fine,

I think if your clam ,well feed and expect discomfort its quit easy to get through the whole process without feeling in "pain"

I always find, however long the tattoo takes, the last 20 min are always the worst. Especially if you're like me and you tend to zone in on the artist working on you. I think your brain knows it's almost there and that makes it harder to deal with? Not sure.

Best recommendation for those situations is really to find a way to zone out. My artist now tends to save all his chat for the last 20 mins because he knows that's when I struggle, wether we're doing a 1 hour or a 5 hour session

I think everyone is different, I tend to never speak much without being ignorant or rude to the artist ,
    I don't like using head phones either
    I like to sit there and listen to the noise of the tattoo machine and the background music in the shop , I guess every one is different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've a few tattoos, I don't have a massively high pain threshold but I always managed to sit through them with no drama.

Most recent one I got done was a large one on the outside of my right calf, lots of colour. Took about four hours. It was grand, just a bit uncomfortable towards the end.

So the weekend just gone, I went to the same artist as that time, to get another quite similar size/style tattoo on the same position but on my left calf. Honestly I wasn't worried about the pain, as it was the same artist and same place as last time (just on the other side.)

And oh my God the pain was unbearable! I had to ask him to stop after less than an hour, before he had the outline completed, and he hadn't even started with the colour.

He was very sound about it and we're booked in to finish before Christmas. I'm just hoping it'll be alright this time! :/ My period started today so I'm HOPING that was what caused all the pain ... never felt like such a wuss in my life. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EdensTempleX

In my experience it depends on the artist... Some have ripped the arms off me and some I sat for 7/8 hours no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaulMartin1337

It depends on the tattoo as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement