Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dEUS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

their second album "In a bar, under the sea" is superb, and this (from their 3rd album) is an amazing track (though slightly curtailed in the video):

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Listened repeatedly to their first two albums back in the day, but €42 for a nostalgia-fest is a bit rich for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Excellent. Listened profusely to their first 3 albums. Bit of filler, but loads of quality there. Couldn't get into Pocket Revolution. And haven't heard a thiong since that. But wikipedia tells me they have had 3 albums since. Instant Street was one of my most listened to tunes for years. And quirkey video to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Excellent. Listened profusely to their first 3 albums. Bit of filler, but loads of quality there. Couldn't get into Pocket Revolution. And haven't heard a thiong since that. But wikipedia tells me they have had 3 albums since. Instant Street was one of my most listened to tunes for years. And quirkey video to go along with it.

My impression is nothing ever quite matched the grandeur of the debut when all said and done.nostaglia maybe but superbly crafted music as well

loyatemu wrote: »
    their second album "In a bar, under the sea" is superb, and this (from their 3rd album) is an amazing track (though slightly curtailed in the video):

gosh thats horrific on first listen hopefully they keep to the first half-heard album :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

loyatemu wrote: »

gosh thats horrific on first listen hopefully they keep to the first half-heard album :):)

you referring to "In a Bar..." or "Instant Street"? I'm not sure how anyone could like their debut and not like the second album as well...

you referring to "In a Bar..." or "Instant Street"? I'm not sure how anyone could like their debut and not like the second album as well..

Instant Street.
    I'm sure I will once I give it a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Saw them in Whelans before The Last Crash and they were amazing. Saw them again in the Ambassador a few years back and very disappointing. Just a bog standard indie band. Everything that made them so unique like the violin and the dual vocal lines seemed to be gone. Shame really as the first 2 albums are incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Saw them in Whelans before The Last Crash and they were amazing. Saw them again in the Ambassador a few years back and very disappointing. Just a bog standard indie band. Everything that made them so unique like the violin and the dual vocal lines seemed to be gone. Shame really as the first 2 albums are incredible.

I saw them at the Ambassador when touring Pocket Revolution and still to this day I think it was one of the best gigs I ever saw them play

bogmanfan wrote: »

Ticket bought,hopefully the violins will be back!
    In a Bar, Under the Sea is brillant ,they should have being massive with this album!
    For the Roses is up there as one of the best songs I have ever heard.
    The way those guitars buzz and swirl like chainsaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Their album The Ideal Crash is 20 years old next year and as far as I know they’re playing that album in its entirety on this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Hold me now, I'm hoping that you can explain
    Little arithmetics
    Got me down, they're fooling me again and again
    Little arithmetics, little arithmetics
    Got me down

Their album The Ideal Crash is 20 years old next year and as far as I know they’re playing that album in its entirety on this tour.

Havent got to that yet,but yes its the Ideal Crash 20th anniversary tour.

Vinculus wrote: »
    Little arithmetics
    Got me down

Another gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Vinculus wrote: »
    Little arithmetics
    Got me down

Another gem!
    I've head the tune in my head all day now. Actually I first heard it around 1999 when a friend burned a home-made compilation on to a CD (the first one I was ever giving) and this was one of the tracks. Liz Phair's **** and Run was on it too. I must dig it out.

Have to say i would be dissappointed if they didnt play some tunes from the earlier albums

Have to say i would be dissappointed if they didnt play some tunes from the earlier albums

Or maybe not, a great album I think.
    Put The Freaks Up Front has one of the greatest intros I think I ever heard .

Or maybe not, a great album I think.
    Put The Freaks Up Front has one of the greatest intros I think I ever heard .

Glad you've come around, but I can't understand how you could describe Instant Street as horrific in the first place. I know some people may find the first part of the song a little poppy - but horrific??? I adore it.
    Must get tickets for this gig in case it sells out.

Glad you've come around, but I can't understand how you could describe Instant Street as horrific in the first place. I know some people may find the first part of the song a little poppy - but horrific??? I adore it.
    Must get tickets for this gig in case it sells out.

Just sounded so different to what I heard before,it took a while to get into this album. Had I not already bought a ticket only to realise this is what they would be playing...

It's so long ago since I first listened to Ideal Crash, that I can't remember if I liked it or not, on the first few listens. I had the advantage in that it was the first Deus album that I got, so wasn't comparing it to anything that came before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Absolutely loved Worst Case Scenario and In A Bar Under The Sea. Everything after that ... meh.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Absolutely loved Worst Case Scenario and In A Bar Under The Sea. Everything after that ... meh.

There were a few naff tunes on WCS if I remember correctly? Some amazing songs and well I know its the ideal crash tour but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

There were a few naff tunes on WCS if I remember correctly?

There were one or two I'd describe as filler. That was their super-Beefheart era and they did get a bit too clever for their own good at times. Solid album overall though. Whereas from The Ideal Crash on I think they lost a lot of their personality and just became indistinguishable from a million other alt-rock bands.

• Loved the first two records back in the day but it took me a long time to fully appreciate the 3rd one which is now one of my favorites of all time. Dream Sequence #1 was the song I had most difficulty with, no idea why as it's one of their best imo.

Actually saw them in the Olympia on that tour 20 years ago, and like others I've seen them since. Think tripod in 2008/9 was the last time and didn't think they weren't great.

The later albums have been pick and mix for me, some great songs and some that did nothing at all for me and very forgettable. Definitely have more time for pocket revolution and vantage point then the most recent 2 albums.

What has Craig Ward being doing with himself since dEUS? Lost track of him after he left.

Loved the first two records back in the day but it took me a long time to fully appreciate the 3rd one which is now one of my favorites of all time. Dream Sequence #1 was the song I had most difficulty with, no idea why as it's one of their best imo.

Actually saw them in the Olympia on that tour 20 years ago, and like others I've seen them since. Think tripod in 2008/9 was the last time and didn't think they weren't great.

The later albums have been pick and mix for me, some great songs and some that did nothing at all for me and very forgettable. Definitely have more time for pocket revolution and vantage point then the most recent 2 albums.

What has Craig Ward being doing with himself since dEUS? Lost track of him after he left.

Not a very belguimey ? name! Doesn't seem to have a wiki page just 'a past member'. What did he play out of interest? dont say the strings cos yeah that is what made them different in the early days.

• Not a very belguimey ? name! Doesn't seem to have a wiki page just 'a past member'. What did he play out of interest? dont say the strings cos yeah that is what made them different in the early days.

Craig is a Scott he played guitar. On further investigation he's since worked with Rudy Trouvé ex-deus and Mauro Pawlowski also ex-deus who would have took over from Craig down the road in dEUS. I'd have said years ago Craig was to deus as David Odlum was to The Frames maybe.

https://www.discogs.com/Pawlowski-Trouvé-Ward-Pawlowski-Trouvé-Ward/release/1027285 they also had a record last year, one I've linked to is on spotify and it's eh ... pretty out there but not unexpected given the involvement of Trouvé

Edit: Off the top of my head you'll see Craig in the videos for Little Arithmetics and Instant Street.

I had booked tickets for the Saturday night for this. Along with few others coming up from the country. The Friday night is supposed to be sold out. I just got message saying that the Saturday night has now been moved to the Friday night - 10 May. How can this make sense. Obviously, the sales for the Saturday night were so low, they just decided that they would throw everybody in for the one night. But how can they do that if declaring it was sold out.
    I know artists cancel gigs at last minute, but at least they give some reason behind it, even if it is fabricated. Mates have accommodation booked for SAturday night, and gigging on Friday means some will have to take time off work.
    Any thoughts. Presume it's a "take it on the chin" scenario

I had booked tickets for the Saturday night for this. Along with few others coming up from the country. The Friday night is supposed to be sold out. I just got message saying that the Saturday night has now been moved to the Friday night - 10 May. How can this make sense. Obviously, the sales for the Saturday night were so low, they just decided that they would throw everybody in for the one night. But how can they do that if declaring it was sold out.
    I know artists cancel gigs at last minute, but at least they give some reason behind it, even if it is fabricated. Mates have accommodation booked for SAturday night, and gigging on Friday means some will have to take time off work.
    Any thoughts. Presume it's a "take it on the chin" scenario

Seen that alright.I would say low ticket sales for the Saturday and the Friday probably being not really 'sold out' as being the likely (worst case) scenario.
    Also seen WCS was 25 this year,real shame they didn't tour it instead.
    Trixie Whitley providing support,I have never heard of her. I'm not exactly counting down the days to this gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Seen that alright.I would say low ticket sales for the Saturday and the Friday probably being not really 'sold out' as being the likely (worst case) scenario.
    Trixie Whitley providing support,I have never heard of her. I'm not exactly counting down the days to this gig.

She is a daughter of Chris Whitley, a fine blues musician who died a while back. She did play in a band called Black Dub with Daniel Lanois who were pretty ok. Not sure what form she is going to be playing as for this. I won't be there in any case. :(

• Advertisement

As far as I know, all of The Ideal Crash will be played and couple of other hits.

Advertisement