Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland records.

• 01-11-2018 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to trace information on my Swedish Great-Grandfather prior to his arrival in Ireland from Sweden in the 1870's. I've found some information about him after he settled in Ireland but I'm finding it difficult to trace any information on his life in Sweden. My question is: is there a site where I can do a search on immigrants to Ireland in the 19th century?
    TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He probably came through Britain. I found my gggrandfather's first wife on a passenger list Goteborg to Hull, eventually to New York. I think it was on Ancestry.
    Through Hull and on to Liverpool was a common route for Swedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Thanks for the reply Spurious, I should have mentioned that he was a sailor en route from Canada to Gothenburg (his home town) when his ship docked in Dublin and he met my Great Grandmother from Gloucester street south,he then stayed here so he didn't do the normal route of emigrating from Sweden so it makes it harder for me to trace his pre Ireland days as he wasn't on a passenger list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There won't be anything online.
    The National Archives has alien registration files though. I'm not sure of the dates or what they contain.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

What kind of sailor was he and have you tried to source records? Even if he was merchant navy rather than armed forces you might find something in Swedish records, like ship crew lists or registration cards and the like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you know the name of the ship/boat?
    Would Dublin Port (or the National Archives or maybe old newspapers) have records of ships arriving in Dublin Port in the 1800s?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Do you know the name of the ship/boat?
    Would Dublin Port (or the National Archives or maybe old newspapers) have records of ships arriving in Dublin Port in the 1800s?

After he arrived here took up a job as a sailor working out of Dublin, I have the name of the ships he sailed on from 1878 onwards out of Dublin, on the crew list log they had to give the name of the previous ship that they worked on. On the first Irish ship he signed the name of what I think is the last Swedish ship that he worked on but it's almost indicipherable , very frustrating but it's like a treasure hunt, lots of patience needed.:):)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you have that handwriting, post it on our handwriting thread and we'll have a go deciphering.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If you have that handwriting, post it on our handwriting thread and we'll have a go deciphering.

We like a good challenge. :)

Posted on the handwriting thread, I'm also taking a visit to the National Archives during the week, thanks.

Advertisement