Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Any ideas what the green/red/blue lines signify?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Wtf? im flying next Tuesday from Heathrow do we have any idea when flights will resume?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

From looking at it i reackon each is a boundary to which Flight Level the Ash Extends to. For anyone unfamiliar to them, e.g. FL250 = 25000FT and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

The Blue is for more dense ash cloud, I think the red is for less dense traces of ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

My missus is supposed to be flying back from sweeden tonight ... d'oh !!!!

Is volcanic ash valuable ... maybe the UK government could try and gather as much as possible and take it as payment for all the lost deposits from the Islandic banks!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No chance anybody will fly sweden ireland tonight, tell her to look for sweden paris now if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

This better be gone by Saturday. Supposed to be flying Dub-Fuerteventura at 7:20 in the morning. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

AS of now.. there are NO planes over the island of Ireland. Quite a rarity i guess:)

Edit: and typical the last plane to cross Ireland was from...... Iceland !!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

I was due to fly to England via Finland in jan, flight got canceled due to snow, now I'm off to the Snooker in Sheffield on Saturday, and flights could be canceled due to ASH!

Time to give up :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No chance anybody will fly sweden ireland tonight, tell her to look for sweden paris now if possible.

she's actually flying via Amsterdam, connecting with AerLingus .. and I see aer lingus have cancelled all flights from Amsterdam, apart from the very last one tonight .. so far.

Stockholm is now totally closed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Finally our roads will be gritted
    pity it wasnt two months ago though

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

regretting not ticking that volcano cover box on my travel insurance now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Baza210 wrote: »
    Any ideas what the green/red/blue lines signify?

RED = Surface to 20,000ft.
    GREEN = 20,000 - 35,000ft

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There be no ash fall though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

And I only went and watch 2012 last night !

We're all doomed

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

So with the lack of con trails, will it mean the temp will rise? :D

Wierd not seeing any trails usually there are at least 1 every minute and sometimes 5 or 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I remember reading about the Laki volcano eruption my 1st year undergrad course. It had a profound effect on life in Europe. A dry haze that persisted for months. Summers were hot, but winters were cold. Famine and death also resulted. If I remember correctly that particular eruption occurred along side other big eruptions across the globe.

I am trying to find that particular book on the net to link. If I find it I will post later. It had a synoptic overview of the entire 1780's. Patterns became jarred with very frequent northern blocking post eruption. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

John mac wrote: »

Wierd not seeing any trails usually there are at least 1 every minute and sometimes 5 or 6.

its a conspiracy i tells ya.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

well you couldnt see them anyway in dub with all the cloud.
    Hope there is a LARGE increase in temps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not unusual in this type of set up. Lack of contrails is a good signal that the air is very dry at higher levels. The more persistent the contrail, the more chance it will rain :)

Sat 24 image has big red bold type mentioning the ash plume:

110906.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

what are the chances of norway flights going ahead tomorrow?ment to be flying to Oslo around 11..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

15/04/2010 - 12:01:25

The Irish Aviation Authority has warned that the disruption to flights from the volcanic ash cloud could last days.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/flight-disruption-could-last-days-454024.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 LikePlace

A photo of the ash cloud approaching Dublin.
    My advice - take in your washing.

http://bit.ly/93DkUh

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

hellboy99 wrote: »

I don't see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

Well, that's the summer gone.

From the IrishTimes: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0415/breaking16.html
    How volcano ash can affect the weather

Thu, Apr 15, 2010

Volcanic eruptions sending ash and gas into the atmosphere can have a massive effect on the weather.

In 1815 a huge eruption on the Indonesian island of Sumbawa caused freak weather conditions throughout the world.

Mount Tambora spewed out massive amounts of sulphur dioxide which combined with water vapour to form a sulphuric acid mist that reflected sunlight away from the earth.

That caused such a drop in temperatures that 1816 became known as “the year with no summer”.

Crops failed due to low daytime temperatures, late frosts and abnormally high rainfall, provoking food riots, famine and disease.

In Ireland, rain fell on 142 days that summer and across France the grape harvest was virtually non-existent.

In North America there was snow in June and lakes and rivers froze as far south as Pennsylvania during July and August.

It followed a smaller eruption in Iceland just over 30 years earlier that caused a thick fog of gas virtually wiping out the summer of 1783 across much of Europe and North America.

American statesman and amateur meteorologist Benjamin Franklin wrote of a “constant fog” over Europe and North America that year.
    Forecasters say the cloud of ash drifting the across the UK at the moment will not produce anything so momentous but it could still affect the weather.

Brendan Jones, a forecaster with MeteoGroup, the weather arm of the Press Association, said: “If you look back in history there have been some periods where the weather has been changed by big volcanic eruptions like Mount Tambora and Mount St Helen's.

“They have been proved to lower temperatures. There is so much ash in the atmosphere that it reduces the amount of sunlight getting to the ground," he said. "If the ash remains in the atmosphere for weeks or months it can reduce temperatures slightly but we are talking about fractions of degrees.”

In fact the most noticeable result could be more spectacular sunsets as the sun’s rays reflect off the ash cloud.

Mr Jones said: “The sunset lights up the underside of the ash and you could see a glow from the ash in the sky.”

The eruption of Eyjafjallajokull in Iceland, which has sent this cloud of ash into the sky, is the first in nearly 200 years and geophysicists fear it could trigger a much larger explosion of nearby Mount Katla.

Katla is described as “enormously powerful”, and because it lies under a glacier its eruption would cause a huge glacial outburst flood and could spread its shadow over a much larger area.

Met Éireann said today a new phase of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption started around midnight and volcanic ash has been observed in British airspace. It said its Aviation Services Division has warnings in place for the ash to penetrate Irish airspace to the east and southeast this afternoon and evening.

PA

© 2010 irishtimes.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

LAtest RGB satellite animations show the high level plume dying down a bit over the last couple of hours, though that could mean nothing if it erupts again.

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/MSG/RGB/ASH/ICELAND/index.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Here it is

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

Hopefully that picture means the ash column has collapsed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Guramoogah wrote: »
    In Ireland, rain fell on 142 days that summer

Nothing new there lol

Is there any chance we will see much of the ash on the west side of ireland?
    Here in dongeal we are probably nearest to iceland but met eireann said ash would be on east and south east I think, wind direction i guess :(

Advertisement