Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1pm met reports May 4th

Ballyhaise just 4 degrees. Thats brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

very heavy marble sized hail shower in D9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

1pm met reports May 4th

Ballyhaise just 4 degrees. Thats brutal

Worth keeping it on the records:

lyQu0el.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I can definitely see the remnants of snow flakes in the rain here, wouldn't go as far as to call it sleet but not far off it

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Heavy hail showers now the last 2 hours or so really nasty. We’d a week almost of nice weather albeit a bit windy but as always we’re paying for that now in spades. I know our summer is really between the June and August bank holiday but you’d hope things would pick up soon as this is dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Gfs has a high of 4c for me on Saturday and Monday. ECM has a high of 14c for both days. Not much of a difference ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Blustery and cold with the sun coming out every now and again and showers forecast, I hate this kind of weather! This is how I imagine normal summer days in Ireland except a few degrees warmer. Hoping for a settled spell soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy pea sized hail in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Beautiful lovely day out here! Warm sun, no wind.. Just lovely.. Been standing at the gate, gazing out to sea, listening to the birds... Sheer BLISS...

West Mayo offshore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

several heavy hail showers here in Meath, Car covered in slushy ice, central heating on full blast. Not what you want to see only 3 weeks from the start of summer.

• Advertisement

A snowy scene at Ponderosa restaurant, Derry , altitude 288m this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

any hot weather on the horizon?

The sun is as high and as strong today as it would be on August 6th believe it or not, and when sheltered from the wind, you'd know it. But once it goes behind the clouds again, it feels more like March 6th. It is the classic sort of 'summer in the sun; winter in the shade' sort of day.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The sun is as high and as strong today as it would be on August 6th believe it or not, and when sheltered from the wind, you'd know it. But once it goes behind the clouds again, it feels more like March 6th. It is the classic sort of 'summer in the sun; winter in the shade' sort of day.

Agree re the sun; amazingly powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    A snowy scene at Ponderosa restaurant, Derry , altitude 288m this morning.

Is that a red Focus I see?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

22° Halo taken here near Tralee early afternoon.

11.2C , good sunshine getting through the Cirrus and lower Cumulus

65HMibw.jpg?1

Is that a red Focus I see?

Took me a minute to get it haha

Graces7 wrote: »
    Agree re the sun; amazingly powerful.

What is even .. I have been sowing seeds in trays for weeks and little has emerged as too cold. Today after good rain then sun there are little green shoots in rows in so many trays... Lovely to see them .

While I appreciate the lovely descriptive language being used can I just say for someone who likes nice dry warm sunny summer weather this is horrible. It’s cold it’s breezy it’s rain/hailing it’s unpleasant and honestly if this is a sign of our summer God help anyone with the outdoor summer lark we are being sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I’d rather have summer weather in summer and wet spring.

• Advertisement

I’d rather have summer weather in summer and wet spring.

True but the danger is we get a wet spring and no summer. Would just like it to warm up a bit. It was 4.5 degrees during one of the showers earlier that’s just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry sunny evening here just outside Castlebar but very cool. Grand once your doing a bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

While I appreciate the lovely descriptive language being used can I just say for someone who likes nice dry warm sunny summer weather this is horrible. It’s cold it’s breezy it’s rain/hailing it’s unpleasant and honestly if this is a sign of our summer God help anyone with the outdoor summer lark we are being sold!

As much as I love warm (25° - 30° every day for a couple of months would be heaven for me.....wrong country to be living in for that though!) and sunny summer weather above anything else, we have only just entered the final month of Spring so the weather of late, although still cold for the time of year, is typical April showers type weather, albeit ever so slightly later than usual. In fact, the showery weather often associated with April very often overspills into May.

You question whether the weather we are experiencing lately is a sign of what is to come during the summer months. Well, quite often we get stuck in a pattern of similar weather and it often lasts for weeks on end, if not a few months. Take last year, for example. April and May were generally gorgeous and then once we got a few days into summer, we entered the most miserable summer in quite a while especially with regards to sunshine.

Better than normal summers quite often follow poor Springs and worse than normal summers quite often follow good Springs. Of course, this is not a rule, it's simply a result of us often getting stuck in a similar pattern of weather for a long period of time before flipping to something quite different.

Now I'm not saying that this upcoming summer is going to be one to remember (for the right reasons) but I am saying that going by the weather of late combined with the poor weather forecast in the short to medium term, it would not surprise me one bit if we had a flip to high pressure/warm settled weather sometime in June (maybe slightly after, maybe before), with the weather remaining generally settled for a good while after that.

It would be unusual, based on past years, to have a poor summer following a poor Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

9 months of poor weather at this location minus a week or so. Desperate.

highdef wrote: »
    we have only just entered the final month of Spring so the weather of late, although still cold for the time of year, is typical April showers type weather, albeit ever so slightly later than usual. In fact, the showery weather often associated with April very often overspills into May.

I've never really understood this 'April showers' thing, because that implies that showers are exclusive to April. I think most of us, in the west at least, would agree that showers are a year wide occurrence, with the most brutish of them tending to occur in the winter months.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I've never really understood this 'April showers' thing, because that implies that showers are exclusive to April. I think most of us, in the west at least, would agree that showers are a year wide occurrence, with the most brutish of them tending to occur in the winter months.

But, on average, April is the month with the strongest dual effect of increasing solar radiation coinciding with still cold upper air hanging around from the winter. March, the sun's not strong enough. May, the cold air has usually retreated well back north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

As much as I love warm (25° - 30° every day for a couple of months would be heaven for me.....wrong country to be living in for that though!) and sunny summer weather above anything else, we have only just entered the final month of Spring so the weather of late, although still cold for the time of year, is typical April showers type weather, albeit ever so slightly later than usual. In fact, the showery weather often associated with April very often overspills into May.

You question whether the weather we are experiencing lately is a sign of what is to come during the summer months. Well, quite often we get stuck in a pattern of similar weather and it often lasts for weeks on end, if not a few months. Take last year, for example. April and May were generally gorgeous and then once we got a few days into summer, we entered the most miserable summer in quite a while especially with regards to sunshine.

Better than normal summers quite often follow poor Springs and worse than normal summers quite often follow good Springs. Of course, this is not a rule, it's simply a result of us often getting stuck in a similar pattern of weather for a long period of time before flipping to something quite different.

Now I'm not saying that this upcoming summer is going to be one to remember (for the right reasons) but I am saying that going by the weather of late combined with the poor weather forecast in the short to medium term, it would not surprise me one bit if we had a flip to high pressure/warm settled weather sometime in June (maybe slightly after, maybe before), with the weather remaining generally settled for a good while after that.

It would be unusual, based on past years, to have a poor summer following a poor Spring.

I’m with you on this. I remember May 2013 & May 2014 being very showery and the summers that followed were very good. It’s not a rule of course but in my opinion it bodes well for a good summer. A bold prediction I’m making is a warm/ settled June extending into most of July followed by an unsettled August ( nothing new there).

Thanks for your reply really interesting thoughts and I hope you are right. Realise I’m in the wrong country but the flip side is we see months of people here looking for snow when the reality is we are also the wrong country for that and you could argue temps 25 degrees are as regular an occurrence here as snow and I mean proper snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

That wasn't the worst of days here, only caught the edge of a few showers that barely wet the ground. Spoke to a few people earlier who were caught in big hail showers.
    Cold out though, down to 3c already.
    The Eta Aquarid meteor shower peaks tonight with up to 10-20 per hour later in the night,wrap up if heading out.
    05-05-08-49-51.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

August is always terrible, so the window is pretty narrow, but I don't mind putting up with this for another few weeks if we get a few weeks of decent summer.
    weather.
    Some really low cloud today, some of the cloud smoky black, with intermittent showers. This is the kind of weather I usually associate with July and August only a few degrees warmer!

Advertisement