Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Such a disappointing day in south Mayo
    So cold :(
    Heating and stove back on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,080 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Max of just 5°c in West Clare today, stayed hazy throughout. Falling again this evening.

A strange day, but good for a walk if you wrap up, nice and calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

That has to be the fastest spring/summer/autumn ever. Not a bad start to winter, when do we expect the first snow? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

Second grey, cool day in a row in Dublin. Not enjoying it. The only good thing is it’s not raining. Fierce depressing weather though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »
    Second grey, cool day in a row in Dublin. Not enjoying it. The only good thing is it’s not raining. Fierce depressing weather though.

this is very similar to the grey cool crap we had in August when the rest of Europe and the UK were sweltering in a heatwave. Hopefully we won't have a repeat of this again in the summer when high pressures should bring sunny and warm weather. At least the weather is dry for now.

• Advertisement

That has to be the fastest spring/summer/autumn ever. Not a bad start to winter, when do we expect the first snow? Asking for a friend.

I’ll be honest
    I’d rather get our summer during the summer this year rather than March like we did last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I heard it said locally that Monday was our summer this year, and it was said only half in jest.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I’m quite content to have cool weather in March given the mundane day length.

Warm and sunny weather should be in June etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Alot of you that are currently unhappy might be pleased by around mid month. In the meantime things will be shaken up through the weekend. Some high ground in the north might even see some snow in the cold zonal set up next week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Alot of you that are currently unhappy might be pleased by around mid month. In the meantime things will be shaken up through the weekend. Some high ground in the north might even see some snow in the cold zonal set up next week

Was looking at that Nacho ,wintry hill / mountain showers possible next week, colder air from the W and NW at times, a couple of windy days and plenty of frontal rain bands . Rain holding off more now well into Sunday for most it would seem which is a good thing. Only 0.6mm in 7 days here near Tralee.

Very tempted to do a bit of outdoor plastering tomorrow , I think the frost should hold off here tomorrow night. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Would be nice to see one last covering to send the winter off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Gonzo wrote: »
    this is very similar to the grey cool crap we had in August when the rest of Europe and the UK were sweltering in a heatwave. Hopefully we won't have a repeat of this again in the summer when high pressures should bring sunny and warm weather. At least the weather is dry for now.

Haha you really can't get over last summer can you.

I thought last summer was quite good. We had 35-40 days of 20c+ here.

Remember those people who said winter is over? Nah, it’s not!

We have had a few flurries here above 250 metres this morning, hills above 400 metres have a slight dusting! Never underestimate the Northern Ulster hills to produce snow!

As the saying goes never cast yer clout until May is oot.

The snow is not gone yet, mark my words!

QWA0pOe.jpg

https://streamable.com/9hkwwj

Dew point is negative at lough fea. So not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Remember those people who said winter is over? Nah, it’s not!

We have had a few flurries here above 250 metres this morning, hills above 400 metres have a slight dusting! Never underestimate the Northern Ulster hills to produce snow!

As the saying goes never cast yer clout until May is oot.

The snow is not gone yet, mark my words!

QWA0pOe.jpg

https://streamable.com/9hkwwj

"Dash"ing through the snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

"Dash"ing through the snow...

.... in a one horse open sleigh..:)

Brightening up in the west
    Still cold but makes it feel so much better !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭appledrop

Colder this week than predicted and very dull in Dublin.

Yes, winter might be over but this week is a classic week for cold and snow as my phone tells me!

6 years ago, 3 years ago and two years ago this week we had snow!

Hopefully we will be back to more spring type weather soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭appledrop

I don't mind this weather too much as hasn't rained all week so at least I can get out for a walk after work each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just 2 degrees at Knock at 1pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a light shower about an hour ago, most of it sleety rain but there was some graupel mixed within it as well.

Never underestimate the Northern Ulster hills to produce snow!

Never underestimate anywhere else in Ireland to produce snow right up and including May. Early March is a traditionally cold period in the year (a marked singularity within the long term average) so a few grains of snow up a northern hill at this time of year is hardly noteworthy.

New Moon

Obviously our risk of snow and time period for snow is longer. I am in the fat north. Which also means that we are often in colder air whilst the rest of the island is mild, for ex, frontal systems an example this year was the 2nd February.

Nowhere else reported snow today.

I thought last summer was quite good. We had 35-40 days of 20c+ here.

June was very sunny here up until the last week, and that was basically the last time we seen any sun (bar the very rare brief glimpse) till the end of August. The current dull spell reminds me a lot of much of Summer 2020.

New Moon

Bbq on
    And stove
    :D

Obviously our risk of snow and time period for snow is longer. I am in the car north.

And nowhere else reported snow.

Scene out my back window here on March 3rd 2015: (and I'm below 40 m asl by the way, in a mild western country)

5m9MHyk.png

And this was from a bog standard westerly. Even more than that in early March 2018. Snow at this time of year is not unusual and most certainly not confined to northern mountains.

New Moon

Obviously but when there is no snow anywhere else we do often get it.

Snow here in March is quite common. Plenty of it in 2018 at the start and again on Saint Patricks day. 2013 again had plenty of snow in March but it was melting quickly past 9am. I remember during the 2000's getting snow during March which did not materialize during the 'winter months'. Even last 'winter' didnt produce a single flake of snow but we managed to scrap a few flakes at one stage last March for a few minutes and that was it for 2020 in terms of snow in his area.

There really isn't much of a difference between Northern Ireland and the republic in terms of snow most of the time. Could say the same about Wales and south-west England as well. The entire island is generally mild and under the influence of the Atlantic almost all the time. Northern Ireland is one of the milder parts of the UK between November and March for that reason, it's further west than the majority of the UK mainland with the exception of the far south-western tip of England and the Scottish islands. Northern Ireland can do better if there is a north/south divide in terms of temperature but when it comes to the east/west splits, then NI usually ends up on the mild side same as the republic.

Scotland and north-east England is where you start to notice more snow at low levels compared to Ireland, especially when it comes to frontal snow and they get the easterlies more often than Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Today was a very cold day and very grey. We got a glimpse of spring for a few days that’s disappeared again and we’re back to the grey slate and I’m sure the wind and rain not far away now either.

Advertisement