Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting season

• 13-08-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

can somewhon please clarify the current irish shooting season for animals. the sticky above seems to be a bit shadey on open seasons im afraid to say. i went into the open seasons section and it sates a few dates i think may be wrong.should we put a sticky of the current irish shooting season dates for us all to see including deer, birds and of course the whole woodpigeon thing. and a list of vermin species aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If someone does the ground work I will throw it into one of the existing stickies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i cant seem to find a link on the internet veg. i did find this one veg http://www.irishfieldsports.com/law.htm

Im not sure if it accurate though. is snipe in season from the 1st of september along with duck? if it is great! i know they will be hardly any number but it will be great to run the setter against the odd one that has come in on the way back from the rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Yes - that looks right - snipe & jack snipe were always the same as the duck season.

That link to the seaons looks correct but Ruddy Duck was also added to the Duck list - 1 September to 31 January, and pigeon were also added - same season as pheasant & woodcock.

Hare & some deer species will probably finish on the 29th Feb. rather that the 28th as in other years, as it's a leap year, so an extra days shooting for some hunters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 KRICO.22

That might be out of date, didnt think woodies were in season since June.

Slightly off topic here but has anyone here shot Golden Plover before. There is a serious amount of them around my area all season but Ive never bothered with them. Never sure if they are plover or not. The make like a whistling sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

J.R. wrote: »
    Yes - that looks right - snipe & jack snipe were always the same as the duck season.

mmm - im more excited about the snipe than i am the ducks. thats great news. JR - i have asked this elsewhere before but while your hear do you know if snipe generally migrate. during winter months numbers are great and love to hunt them but this time of year we dont seem to have that many around, or do they spend their "summer" months tucked up in the mountains. I hope the first two months working the snipe this year might crown my setter. a lot of lads say they dont want their setter working snipe, but i say why the hell not. they have large numbers so you dont have to worry too much about their major decline and they are so bloddy hard to shoot. plus its exciting watching the dog work.

• Advertisement

Snipe

http://www.irishfieldsports.com/gamebirds/snipe.htm

Snipe are resident here - provide some great shooting!

I hunt them with a cocker - works very close to me - and I always hunt them with the wind in my face, that way they will not hear you approaching. If they hear you coming then they will rise 50 - 60 yards out with no chance of a shot.

I use quarter choke with no. 8 or no. 9.

Mark the spot they fall in and pick them up as soon as shot - if wounded they can be impossible to find, cowering down & hiding in any tiny piece of cover, giving off very little scent, but a good dog will find them no problem.

Ther are 2 species of snipe available - the common snipe and the jack snipe (much smaller, shorter bill and a lot scarcer) - but when the bird rises it's nearly impossible to tell which species it is.

COMMON SNIPE

snipe.jpg

JACK SNIPE

snipe20on20stump_small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Found this on Irish Field Sports Website http://www.irishfieldsports.com/law.htm
    Hope it is helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

KRICO.22 wrote: »

Slightly off topic here but has anyone here shot Golden Plover before. There is a serious amount of them around my area all season but Ive never bothered with them. Never sure if they are plover or not. The make like a whistling sound.

Aren't these protected ? as in no season allocated ?

Haz33 wrote: »
    Found this on Irish Field Sports Website http://www.irishfieldsports.com/law.htm
    Hope it is helpful

This is slightly out of date:

The Ruddy duck is now included with ducks : open from 1st Sept - 31st Jan

Woodpigeon are same as pheasant, woodcock & red-legged partridge: 1st Nov. - 31st Jan

KRICO.22 wrote: »

Golden Plover can be shot - same season as duck

• Advertisement

Anyone got the printed list of this years seasons ?

Normally in Shooters Digest ?

Is Curlew off the list this year? usually on it from Nov 1st - 31st

Sill outstanding on my quarry list

Shooting Season 2009 - 2010

Wonder if this will be the year I shoot a Curlew :cool:

They are due around my way soonish BUT they usuually disappear for their season :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭vermin hunter

if your protecting crops you can shoot woodies all year round if you go onto the nargc website it will explain it and how you can shoot over syubbles once your protecting

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

if your protecting crops you can shoot woodies all year round if you go onto the nargc website it will explain it and how you can shoot over syubbles once your protecting

seen that on the NARGC site the question i have is do you have to be a member of the NARGC to be able to do out of season crop protection.

no you dont have to be a member of the nargc to protect crops but im shure the lands your shooting on the farmer would like it if you were insured

no you dont have to be a member of the nargc to protect crops but im shure the lands your shooting on the farmer would like it if you were insured
    whatever made you mention insurance, the NARGC are not the only people to offer this optional shooting requirement country side alliance and the IFA do cover aswell;)

im well aware there not the only ones to ofer insurance i was only telling the chap that it would be better if he was insyred and inever sid he had to be insured with the nargc

im well aware there not the only ones to ofer insurance i was only telling the chap that it would be better if he was insyred and inever sid he had to be insured with the nargc

i am the chap that you replied to, i taught you mentioned the insurance word as i am not a member of the NARGC. sorry for the little confusion.

ah no bother johner best of luck with your pigoen shooting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Wonder if this will be the year I shoot a Curlew :cool:

They are due around my way soonish BUT they usuually disappear for their season :eek:

Not much point, as (a) they are an easy shot and (b) I've read that they are almost inedible. Read a recipe for cooking them once, involved boiling them with a strip of leather from an old belt, then, after a long time you throw out the birds and eat the belt.
    Rs
    P.

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Not much point, as (a) they are an easy shot and (b) I've read that they are almost inedible. Read a recipe for cooking them once, involved boiling them with a strip of leather from an old belt, then, after a long time you throw out the birds and eat the belt.
    Rs
    P.

really ? Not in my experience :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Rs
    P.

Recipe for Galah (Australian bird):

Put galah in pot of boiling water.
    Add some stones.

When the stones go soft, you can eat the galah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

really ? Not in my experience :eek:
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]One of the bits of land I shoot over borders the tide - a great place for snipe, but I've sometimes got teal and an occasional mallard there. On the shoreline we regularly put up curlew and I would never consider them a challenging shot. I will have to find the book where I read that recipe, need more time! Have you eaten them?
    Rs
    P.[/FONT]

Advertisement