Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"No such thing as a stupid question" woodcraft thread

• 10-04-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭

So, taking inspiration from the cycling forum, I thought I'd start a thread to let people ask any questions they might have about any aspect of woodworking.

I'll kick the thing off. I have two tins of Meguiars no.8 Mold Release Wax left over from a previous project.

It's a combination of carnauba wax and 11 secret herbs and spices.

My question is, can this be used in place of regular paste wax (as I'm unlikely to be releasing anything from a mould again)?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

has anyone any tips on freeing up a cap stuck on a tin of sanding sealer? it's one of those 'press down and twist' plastic caps; to be fair, i haven't had much of a go at it, cos it's fiddly to press down and twist hard. but if there's any simple tricks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

has anyone any tips on freeing up a cap stuck on a tin of sanding sealer? it's one of those 'press down and twist' plastic caps; to be fair, i haven't had much of a go at it, cos it's fiddly to press down and twist hard. but if there's any simple tricks...

Have you got a bench vice? Clamp the lid in the vice, press the lid in and turn the tin.

If you don't have a vice, sometimes you can wedge the lid between a door and frame, and do the same thing

Make sure you clamp in the side or bottom of the vice, don't turn the tin upside down

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

cletus wrote: »
    So, taking inspiration from the cycling forum, I thought I'd start a thread to let people ask any questions they might have about any aspect of woodworking.

I'll kick the thing off. I have two tins of Meguiars no.8 Mold Release Wax left over from a previous project.

It's a combination of carnauba wax and 11 secret herbs and spices.

My question is, can this be used in place of regular paste wax (as I'm unlikely to be releasing anything from a mould again)?

Most of those car waxes have silicone in them and that can cause problems with finishes. That's why I am not using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

cletus wrote: »
    Have you got a bench vice? Clamp the lid in the vice, press the lid in and turn the tin.

If you don't have a vice, sometimes you can wedge the lid between a door and frame, and do the same thing

Make sure you clamp in the side or bottom of the vice, don't turn the tin upside down

I always use plumbers plyers to open those stuck bottles. Sometimes even on clamps when I can't release them :)

Most of those car waxes have silicone in them and that can cause problems with finishes. That's why I am not using them.

It's not a car wax, although it might contain silicone, I'll check.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Turn it upside down in a small cup of a solvent like meths or isoproanol. Sanding sealer is just shellac and shellac will redissolve in the solvent. Just leave it for a while and then take it out, turn it right side up and open it.

Assuming you don't mean _cellulose_ sanding sealer though, now that I think about it since you do a lot of turning!

For my dumb-ass question, can you trim down a 50mm brad nail and then safely fire it through a brad nailer?
    I've sent off for a few lengths, but you know if you had ten lengths to choose from, your next project will need the eleventh one you don't have...

Sparks wrote: »
    For my dumb-ass question, can you trim down a 50mm brad nail and then safely fire it through a brad nailer?
    I've sent off for a few lengths, but you know if you had ten lengths to choose from, your next project will need the eleventh one you don't have...

How much do you need to trim? Actually scratch that. I don't think you could trim them neatly enough to not foul the mechanism as you fire the brads

Probably safest. Was just irked staring at a job that needed 30mm brads but only having 20mm and 50mm ones on hand.
    Went off and asked amazon to send me some. Might take a while but such is life.

Use a swiss army knife style can opener or a screwdriver and punch a pair of holes in the top, on either end. That'll let it pour easily into a jam jar. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Weird, weird timing - did this literally 2 days ago with a yellow bottle of Douglas Sanding Sealer. I grabbed the lid in a vice grips and held the bottle under my arm - worked first go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got it sorted, anyway. similar to your method - i wedged the bottom of the can to stop the can itself moving so i could push down on the lid with one hand and twist the vice grips with the other.

it's mylands cellulose sanding sealer, FWIW.

Advertisement