Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover letters

• 26-03-2002 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Don't laugh, I've only really found out about these :)

What are they? Is there anywhere I can download samples? Would anyone be willing to send on theirs just so I can rip it off....uhh I mean take ideas from it...yeah...that's right....ideas.

No, seriously, wtf is it?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

a cover letter is a small note you atach to the front of your CV that basically says hi, im such and such, ive heard about the position going doing such and such, id like to apply
    thanks very much.
    consider it a formal written version of an answer machine message.
    i'll try and dig some out if i can find them. actually i think ive binned all mine, but i think monster have some sone i will try and dig some out for you to peruse.
    good point though.

actually, its just struck me now thatthe little box with other info that you fill in on web sites is pretty much the same idea as a cover letter.
    its really just somewhere you can add in company or job related specifics that dont fit into your CV.

sort of.

you know.

erm.

let me look it up

Job Seeker Resources
    Research Companies

Ask an Expert
    Message Boards

Winning Cover Letters
    Top Ten Reasons Why You Need a Cover Letter
    by Peter Newfield
    Your cover letter presents your intentions, qualifications, and availability to a prospective employer in a succinct, appealing format. It's your first chance to make a great impression, a personalised letter indicates you are serious about your job search. Your CV can give the nitty-gritty of dates, places of employment, and education but your cover letter must entice the reader to take the extra few minutes to consider you when faced with hundreds and thousands of candidates for any one job opening.

1. Do you really need a cover letter?
    You bet! Just as you would never just show up unannounced at a prospective employer's door, your CV should Never just appear solo on a decision- maker's desk. Your cover letter is your first opportunity to introduce yourself, present your qualifications, and show the search committee you are a potential candidate for the advertised position.

2. Personalise it to the company.
    Anyone can reproduce a "canned" cover letter and hope for the best. Instead, take a few minutes to personalise your letter by showing that you are really serious about working for the companies you are contacting. State the reason that you are interested in working for that particular company. Mention a department, a new project the company is involved in, an acquisition the company has made. Show that you have done your homework. Address the cover letter to a specific individual whenever possible.

3. Why are you sending your CV and cover letter?
    Cover letters should be clear and to the point. Include the specific job title, two to three reasons why your experience makes a good fit, and a brief outline of career highlights.

4. Highlight your strengths!
    You may be a great person and never call in sick, but prospective employers really want to know why they should consider you for this position. Brag a little! Give a few facts, list relevant skills, and state accomplishments on your present or most recent jobs that will be impressive. Increased overseas sales by 93%? Negotiated new financial leases/loans? Implemented new training programs which reduced staff turnover by 15%?

5. State your intentions and qualifications right up front.
    If you expect a senior personnel manager or recruiter to wade through a mish- mash of information on your cover letter before understanding why you are sending your CV, chances are, it will never happen.

6. What makes you different?
    Emphasise your skills, talents, and experiences to show how you would be a valuable addition to the team. If you have relevant volunteer or professional experience include it briefly in your cover letter. Example: An accountant who serves as volunteer treasurer for a nonprofit community health organisation; an international sales rep who has lived in Europe and Asia and speaks several languages.

7. No negative information!
    Never include personality conflicts with previous employers, pending litigation suits, or sarcastic remarks in your cover letter. If you are bad-mouthing your present place of employment, interviewers may fear a repeat performance if they hire you.

8. When should you include salary/relocation information?
    The rule of thumb is to always include salary requirements and/or salary history in the cover letter if a prospective employer requests it. For example: My salary requirements are $60,000-$75000 (negotiable). Or: My current salary is $53,000 at XYZ corporation. To eliminate this information from your cover letter may justify your CV getting tossed out. Never include salary and relocation information on your CV, only address this information in your cover letter.

9. Action Steps to Take
    Take a proactive approach in your cover letter. State the fact that you are available for a personal interview; give your home, work, e-mail, and/or cell phone numbers where you can be reached; note that you will follow up by phone (where possible) to provide any additional information required.

10. Be direct!
    A professionally written cover letter and CV can open the doors to your next position on the corporate ladder, as well as a new career in a different field. A clean, error-free presentation combined with strong phrasing and solid facts will encourage the reader to review the attached CV and call you in for an interview.

Peter Newfield is President of CV writing service Career CVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Cheers WWM!

Really helpful, maybe now I might actually get some replies.
    I've also heard that you can arrange a meeting with people in FAS who will help out making your CV and cover letter.

Maybe you should put that article into a sticky.

Originally posted by Enygma
    Cheers WWM!

Maybe you should put that article into a sticky.

you sensible chap.
    done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just a likkle note as ive been sending out my cvs for the past month with cover letters and all typed up nice to every recruitment agency and joe soap who posts an job ( which is surprisingly little ) i just learned that your cv you send to the
    recruitment company just gets editeded down and your cover letter canned
    Wahts up with that?

note to wwm. that company adc in galway for that chap looking for some temp work , unfortunatly wouldnt give me anymore info
    on what exactly they were looking for or if they were willing to help , just a send in the cv and well talk then attitude
    sorry for late response been away for a week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Can anyone give an example of a cover letter they have written? I'm applying for a job and need the perfect cover letter. I can't find any examples on the net so hoping someone here could write me an example of something they have written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

The rule of thumb is to always include salary requirements and/or salary history in the cover letter if a prospective employer requests it. For example: My salary requirements are $60,000-$75000 (negotiable). Or: My current salary is $53,000 at XYZ corporation. To eliminate this information from your cover letter may justify your CV getting tossed out. Never include salary and relocation information on your CV, only address this information in your cover letter.

IMHO the only reason anyone would need this info for is to get you a lower salary than they are willing to pay. I made a rule to never say what I'm currently making before they told me a salary range they are willing to pay. Any time I haven't stuck to that I've ended up making less than I could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

the job of my dreams has come up.
    cv & cover letter to be in by tomorrow.

it may sound stupid, but i want to get this right,

do you attach the cover letter to the cv, or keep the two seperate??

thanks

are you sending in paper format or email?
    or fax?

if you are using gfood old fashioned paper and snail mail, then i would just use a paper clip and clip the cover letter to the front of your cv, which i would staple.
    otherwise, i would just email them in as two seperate files.

• Advertisement

@$#%@%$

i had to have it in yesterday, and i didnt know, so i stapled it all together.

#@$Q%$@#

shouldnt worry about it to be honest.

the presentation and layout of your cv, and the uality of your cover letter are what are important.

staples in your cover letter wont really make or break an interview opportunity.

'hey this guy rocks, look at his cv'

'bloody hell!, he does rock!. hold on, whats this?'

'what?'

'he's stapled his cv and cover letter together! i mean wtf?!'

'oh no! what a shame, and i think he could have been the youngest CEo this company has ever seen...'

cant see it happening myself :)

thanks anyway,

appreciate the reply!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 crapjocks

imo they are a waste of time. Too much waffle found in many which may lead to recruiters disinterest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well I recently got knocked back from a job interview, and the sole reason was because my cover letter was ****. Didn't concentrate on the fact that I was really interested in getting the job. Since then I have spent a large amount of time writing and re-reading my cover letters before sending them off. Don't underestimate the power of the Cover Letter.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭thebigmc

just a quick question about length- is two short paragraphs enough? That can end up at just 4 sentences though!
    Any suggestions on length- thanks Paddy mc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Anything I've ever read about the length of them suggest about 1 page. I think you you included everything suggested then it ends up about a page, obviously the page includes your address and the address of the person you send it to. Do a google search for "Cover Letter Guides" it normally throws up a pile of pages.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I have a question for you guys. What if you are sending a CV with Covering Letter to a business that have not advertised a position which is available? Im unsure as to what content I should put in such a Covering Letter. I just want to send a CV in the hope that there may be something in the future. Thanks guys and gals. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Loobz wrote:
    I have a question for you guys. What if you are sending a CV with Covering Letter to a business that have not advertised a position which is available? Im unsure as to what content I should put in such a Covering Letter. I just want to send a CV in the hope that there may be something in the future. Thanks guys and gals. :D

Size should be no more than one page. If you are applying for a specific position you should highlight that fact in the letter. Generally 3 paragraphs are expected;

Introduction: Who you are, why you're writing the letter, where you got the information about the job.

Outline: Why you think you would be suitable, why you're interested in the positon and company, very brief (one/two line max) overview of previous experience that you feel would be beneficial in the role.

Summary & Closing: Thanking them for their consideration, and looking forward to a positive response.

If you are sending a cover letter and CV in general, the same format applies but without the specific job references. In general terms, applying without going for a specific position isn't a great idea, because a lot of the time the CV will either be filed away and not looked for or may even be binned as their is nothing suitable and space may be at a premium. When a position does come up they will look at CV's and covering letters that apply directly for the job first rather than go back through their files looking for suitable applicants..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Look at the company and the department that you'd want to be going into - try to highlight a need that they may have that you would be able to fulfill, or why you would make a difference to that company. If they're not highering (is that spelt right?) then you'll want to give them an impressive reason as to why they should be.

Also what is it that attracted you to the company, just something short but shows them why you're keen...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

I always feel soo horrible after I making a perfect formal cv and cover letter, when I then get a reply back:

Hello (first name) ...,

blablabla

Regards (first name)

Not a bit formal what so ever! It's silly

I guess the person looking for the job wants to seem formal and the person looking to employ wants to seem friendly and a reasonable person to work for. The starting points are unbalanced in that regard but I think it's best (safest) to start things off formal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

p.pete wrote:
    I guess the person looking for the job wants to seem formal and the person looking to employ wants to seem friendly and a reasonable person to work for. The starting points are unbalanced in that regard but I think it's best (safest) to start things off formal...

Yes I do agree that you have to start off formal. But I think you always should be formal when writing business letters

MissS wrote:
    Yes I do agree that you have to start off formal. But I think you always should be formal when writing business letters
    Ah, so you'd actually appreciate them being formal back. Someday when you have a business of your own... ;)

Personaly I think formality is overrated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Job Seeker Resources
    Research Companies

But ONLY include it if specifically requested in the ad. No point in geting your CV tossed just because of salary expectations - you want to at least get to the interview so you can shine there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There's a bit about the cover letter here:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Careers/students/jobsearch/apply/write_a_cover_letter.php#coverletter

Here is the sample letter from that page:
    [FONT=Tahoma]
    	                                                                        48 St Anne’s Grove
    	                                                                        Blackrock
    	                                                                        Co Dublin
    	                                                                        Ph: 088- 2345987

15 March 2004

Mr Brian O’Regan
    Human Resources Manager
    Intec Medical Systems
    Blanchardstown
    Dublin 15

Dear Mr O’Regan

I am applying for the post of Trainee Buyer as advertised in the 
    Irish Independent, 8th March 2004, and enclose a copy of my CV.

You will see that I am a final year honours student of Psychology and 
    Sociology at Trinity College Dublin, hoping to graduate with a 2.1 degree. 
    I would like to work in a purchasing role, preferably in an activity which
    involves negotiating with others. My work at St. Loman’s Hospital in Donabate
    confirmed that securing products at reasonable prices is something I do well.
    My ability to communicate and relate well to others is evidenced by 
    successfully persuading the Ward Sister to implement some changes to the 
    system for stock control, resulting in a much more cost-effective use of 
    resources. I am particularly drawn to your company because of the nature of 
    your product range and the interesting challenges this poses for your buyers. 

As Secretary of the College Debating Society I was involved in organising
    events to promote interest and enthusiasm in the group. I managed to 
    persuade Peter Sutherland to address the society. This was his sole student 
    engagement during the year, and consequently the experience was a real 
    personal achievement for me.  

I look forward to hearing from you. Please note that my final examinations 
    take place during the first two weeks of June.

Yours sincerely

[U][i]Lorna Prince[/i][/U] 
    Lorna Prince

[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For some reason I just don't like the way that sample letter read. The language seemed to be overly complex or something. Also came across as very self obsessive, instead of "my work in blah taught me how to do blah" it went "my time in blah just reinforced the fact that I am fantastic at blah". I'm not sure if it's over-confident or just very strong pro-active language.

Then again, I'm sick today, so I might just be misreading it/not thinking straight or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭stopper

There is a sample cover letter and some sample cvs on the gradireland.com website.

See http://www.gradireland.com/advice/template.asp?SectionID=4&ID=32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres nothing in a cover letter that isn't also in your CV. Its a lazy HR dept stuck in the 1970's that still insists on a cover letter. Its just fluff. You might as well ask for applicants to write a limerick, and call them for interview based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Lump wrote:
    Well I recently got knocked back from a job interview, and the sole reason was because my cover letter was ****. Didn't concentrate on the fact that I was really interested in getting the job. Since then I have spent a large amount of time writing and re-reading my cover letters before sending them off. Don't underestimate the power of the Cover Letter.
    John

I wonder do many people apply for jobs their not interested in? :confused:

Advertisement