Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trump and Putin went to dinner

• 11-03-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

After a stop motion animation course I followed I had this idea for a small clip about Trump and Putin.
    Imagine they would have a diner, what would happen?

Because with the cut-out (collage) animation technique I learned it is possible to use pictures of real life people and events and so I wanted to experiment with that. It is not perfect, my background didn't work as intended so I left it white. The timing is also a bit fast fast, so maybe you should view the clip a second timeclear.png to get everything :). And perhaps the next time I should work with larger cut-outs so I have better control of all the tiny cut-out pieces of paper.

Feedback is still appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It's an interesting idea and format but you should probably keep practicing until it's actually good enough for public consumption.

In other words, before you show it to people look at it yourself and really question if you would like it if you didn't know anyone involved in making it. If the answer is no, then keep working on your skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You should check out deepfakes. That could make it really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Groeneg

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It's an interesting idea and format but you should probably keep practicing until it's actually good enough for public consumption. In other words, before you show it to people look at it yourself and really question if you would like it if you didn't know anyone involved in making it.

Good point! My problem is that when you put a lot of work in some experiment like this you want some closure and you want to finish it.

So that you can go about a new project, with a clear mind.

To get the closure I'm always curious what other people think. Was my idea a good idea? Where my own observations about the technical failures right or was I not critical enough? You understand that my own family and friends are always biased in the positivism towards my animation experiences. So posting on a forum will give me direct and unbiased feedback, or so I hope.

This was my first bigger experiment with cut-outs/collage technique. I see it as a starting point. Some things didn't work according to plan, were over ambitious and other things did work better than expected. So next time I'm aiming to have learned from this and do better although it is not always a linear path :)

Grayson wrote: »
    You should check out deepfakes. That could make it really weird.
    Wow deepfakes, I didn't now that existed. Probably often illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Trump and Putin went to dinner

...Trump got fatter and Putin got thinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Groeneg wrote: »

It is not perfect, my background didn't work as intended so I left it white.

Only the background you say?

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Trump and Putin went to dinner...Trump got fatter and Putin got thinner
    :D:D:D

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Only the background you say?
    Ok :) some other things also didn't work out as intended. But for the background I had a good option but wasn't able to merge it properly after a few hours of experimenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Looks like a transition year project that was done the night before the submission date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I think the animation is pretty well done. Maybe work on a better punchline to the joke? Just a suggestion. If your only concern is the animation I think it's fairly good.

• Advertisement

I think the animation is pretty well done. Maybe work on a better punchline to the joke? Just a suggestion. If your only concern is the animation I think it's fairly good.
    Ok, yes the punchline could have been better. The timing/pace could have been smoother, longer anticipation before the joke.

Advertisement