Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Sunday soldier to be charged with murder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

that's the thing that confuses me about the troubles.
    was it a war or wasn't it?
    it seems each side called it a war when it suited them, and then described it as not being a war when it suited them.

eg hunger-strikers were convinced to the point of starving themselves to death that they were military combatants engaged in a war.
    Thatcher disagreed. Tories regularily describe the IRA as criminals. I now hear military sources in London say the Paras were entering a warzone, yet Republicans vehemently do not concur.
    Confused?:confused:

You're defending a lying murderous bastard. If that's the best you can do you can have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

No justice at all only 1 scumbag charged. I hope people that buy poppies later this year know these are the fcuckers that you are giving money to. Hope the rest of the murderers burn in hell as well as their commanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

that's the thing that confuses me about the troubles.
    was it a war or wasn't it?
    it seems each side called it a war when it suited them, and then described it as not being a war when it suited them.

eg hunger-strikers were convinced to the point of starving themselves to death that they were military combatants engaged in a war.
    Thatcher disagreed. Tories regularily describe the IRA as criminals. I now hear military sources in London say the Paras were entering a warzone, yet Republicans vehemently do not concur.
    Confused?:confused:

Ye the British response has been funny to say the least. So many commentators are suggesting these "poor, frightened lads were dropped into a warzone".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The one thing I will say we are a very sympathetic people when it comes to international conflict. The poor Rohingya's are this decade's Biafrans. Wasn't the break-up of Yugoslavia just awful?

But yet when it comes to the Troubles, a conflict that happened in most of our lifetimes, and on this island don't forget, there is a lot of brushing under the carpet and ignorance.

Its hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Havockk wrote: »
    You're defending a lying murderous bastard. If that's the best you can do you can have it.

i'm not defending anybody Paras, IRA, UVF etc.
    why would any normal person defend these people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The infamous soldier F is to be charged with murder the BBC have revealed. Far too late in my opinion. Dealing with murderers by the legal system rather than promoting them and giving them medals would have prevented much of the troubles.

Testimony from the Saville inquiry if anyone's in doubt over this man's character:

Why can't the fooker now be named ?
    Feisar wrote: »
    People trained as aggressive front line soldiers acted like aggressive front line soldiers. Hard to blame the individuals, they people that thought it a good idea are at fault.

If one has a hammer everything looks like a nail, soldiers have guns, what do you expect them to do, they are one trick ponies.

Ahh FFS.

The individuals concerned went out of their way to shoot unarmed civilians, including wounded civilians.

No wonder that there was glee in a lot of places, both North and South, the day that the 16 paras got slaughtered in Warrenpoint.

They were up to their old tricks that day as well when they shot and killed one civilian and wounded another who were standing on the shore of the Republic side of the lough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

BBC News interviewed a few ex paras in London earlier on, they hadn't one word about the victims just whinging that yer man was going to be prosecuted.

It's no wonder the Catholics in the North hated them.

BBC News interviewed a few ex paras in London earlier on, they hadn't one word about the victims just whinging that yer man was going to be prosecuted.

It's no wonder the Catholics in the North hated them.

Here's what their former commander Derek Wilford said,

... he remains steadfastly defiant, standing by his men until the end. He is appalled at the possibility of his soldiers facing prosecution.

"I don't believe they were capable of that sort of indiscriminate shooting and killing," he said.

Can you believe that?!!:eek:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-47559123

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Shelga

Johnny Mercer on C4 news whinging too that it was unfair. Wonder if he’d feel that way if his unarmed 17 year old child was shot in the back while trying to escape these trigger-happy murdering scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭Odhinn

... he remains steadfastly defiant, standing by his men until the end. He is appalled at the possibility of his soldiers facing prosecution.

"I don't believe they were capable of that sort of indiscriminate shooting and killing," he said.

It wasn't indiscriminate - those targeted were almost entirely 'men of fighting age' and picked out from the crowd. It's precisely how they "policed" rowdy natives all over the empire. Wilford would know this full well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Let's not forget that 5 months earlier the same regiment slaughtered civilians in Belfast. One has to wonder what the bastards did when they were deployed to the likes of Palestine before they were sent to teach the Irish a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    No justice at all only 1 scumbag charged. I hope people that buy poppies later this year know these are the fcuckers that you are giving money to. Hope the rest of the murderers burn in hell as well as their commanders.
    Username is confusing...

Not your ornery onager

there was a legal expert, Eoin Paul McDermott on TV earlier explaining why it is so difficult to get a criminal prosecution/conviction. Proof beyond all reasonable doubt, proving intent etc. etc.

surely if a bullet is removed from a corpse, and forensic analysis can prove that bullet was fired from a certain weapon, then am i naive to imagine the person who discharged that weapon is guilty of murder? am i missing something?

i would say put them before a jury or an independent judge, and let them decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if this had happened in any other country during any period of conflict, then this would have been buried and never seen the light of day.

not really, NZ going through the same stuff at the moment for 6 civilians allegedly killed in Afganistan by NZDF

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

British Justice?
    The Ministry of Defence has announced that it pay all his legal bills UK Defence Minister Gavin Williamson said ""We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-47540271

Peace my arse! They started some of the violence in NI. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Will never get to trial. Britain has a long history of atrocities and war crimes against civilians all over the globe that they will never be held accountable for. None of which is ever mentioned in the british education system so for the most part people are arrogant of the facts.

Funnily the paras deny it even though testimony from other soldiers who were there admit that the people shot were not armed and did not provoke.

Cowards and criminals the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

twinytwo wrote: »
    Will never get to trial.

Got a crystal ball, have you?
    No justice at all only 1 scumbag charged. I hope people that buy poppies later this year know these are the fcuckers that you are giving money to.

I'll be buying one and wearing it with pride. A very poor attempt to sully the poppy on your part.

Berserker wrote: »

I'll be buying one and wearing it with pride. A very poor attempt to sully the poppy on your part.

He doesn't have to "sully" it, thats british armys job (and one they've carried out quite well).

• Registered Users Posts: 66,740 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

These men and their commanding officers and the entire judicial system that conspired to cover-up this for decades have done enough to 'sully' it on this island alone, I should think. Not to mention other outstanding actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Will never get to trial.

No justice at all only 1 scumbag charged. I hope people that buy poppies later this year know these are the fcuckers that you are giving money to.

The paratroopers sullied the poppy by killing innocent civilians.
    You continue if you want but you are supporting the totality of the British army, including the several atrocities worldwide.
    Bloody sunday is only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

joe40 wrote: »
    The paratroopers sullied the poppy by killing innocent civilians.
    You continue if you want but you are supporting the totality of the British army, including the several atrocities worldwide.
    Bloody sunday is only one.

Wouldn't bother kicking off another poppy debate. Those that wear it only get more determined to wear it when questioned about it. Best to ignore it and not give the symbol any credence whatsoever.

One man's hero is another man's murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

the people shot were not armed and did not provoke.

In this picture taken minutes before the firing on Bloody Sunday you can get an idea of the tensions at the time. All of the stones / rocks on the road do not justify shots / firing.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/bloody-sunday-paras-were-the-wrong-regiment-in-the-wrong-place-1.2424550
    Just because two policemen (one Catholic and one Protestant) were shot in Derry only three days before Bloody Sunday does not justify violence on the day itself. The soldiers should have followed the rule of law. No excuse for soldiers for firing live rounds , or indeed for the IRA man (who Fr. Daly saw and testified about firing three rounds) either. There were innocent people killed that day and that was wrong.

These men and their commanding officers and the entire judicial system that conspired to cover-up this for decades have done enough to 'sully' it on this island alone, I should think. Not to mention other outstanding actions.

It may be sullied in the eyes of the nationalist community on the northern part of island and the republican community south of the border, two communities who have questionable morals as is but the rest of the people on the island understand what it stands for. It'll be worn and celebrated with pride later this year, as usual.

It may be sullied in the eyes of the nationalist community on the northern part of island and the republican community south of the border, who have questionable morals as is but the rest of the people on the island understand what it stands for. It'll be worn and celebrated with pride later this year, as usual.

O we understand exactly what it stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,740 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It may be sullied in the eyes of the nationalist community on the northern part of island and the republican community south of the border, two communities who have questionable morals as is but the rest of the people on the island understand what it stands for. It'll be worn and celebrated with pride later this year, as usual.

I have no doubt it will be worn. But those wearing it will be telling themselves lies. The result of this process in Derry alone underlines that.

On another note, barely a mention of this on TV3 or the Beeb this morning. Thought they'd be all over it.
    Odhinn wrote: »
    O we understand exactly what it stands for.

Good stuff. It's used to commemorate military personnel who have died in war. All on the same page.

It might be a poor attempt but the conduct of the British army is doing a very good job of sullying the poppy.

Beserker I work in New York, Colorado and England. Disgust with Bloody Sunday and the behavioural of soldiers in Northern Ireland isn't confined to the nationalist community of Northern Ireland. Bloody Sunday is all I've been hearing about in America and the Americans will be watching very closely for justice to be served.

• Advertisement

On another note it's interesting to hear my English colleagues, the English media and English politicians describe the troubles as a "war" now. I'm not sure they understand the implications of that.

Advertisement