Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Prob had mental health issues. Psychotic break, could be drug induced. Extreme paranoia etc.

Or maybe he just hated Muslims with a passion due to what he saw and read and acted with extreme aggression on it.

But the above will sound way better to deflect attention as a once off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Zorya wrote: »
    The manifesto mentions Ebba Akerlund, a little girl killed in Stockholm attack. Her death was his turning point, he says. That day for some time a devastating picture of Ebba's body was circulating on social media. I saw it here, linked on a boards thread. It was extremely shocking. I almost went into shock. There is so much talk of censorship online etc but yet these images are freely circulating, just as the video of this will. This is deeply wrong, in my opinion. These things radicalise people who are unstable and sick and violent.

Did you feel the same about the propaganda pic of the Kurdish child on the beach??

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Prob had mental health issues. Psychotic break, could be drug induced. Extreme paranoia etc.
    Or, more likely all 4 in custody are just evil neo-nazi batsards

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Or maybe he just hated Muslims with a passion due to what he saw and read and acted with extreme aggression on it.

Hate is one thing. Mass murder is a class of a bigger issue.
    No right thinking individual would even think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Jesus. 40 people now. Nutcase.

Shocking for NZ, a safe country you’d think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

The people on there calling this guy a nutter are seriously downplaying this l, I’ve flicked through the manifesto, this is a deep hated acquired over time and feed by his own bias. This was no random nutcase who just snapped this was planned and the guy who done it had all his mental faculty’s intact

BBC News now reporting:
    Officials have said four people are currently in custody. Initial reports said that was three men and one woman.

In her latest press conference, the prime minister said three men "connected to this attack" were being held. One is an Australian citizen and "an extremist, right-wing, violent terrorist", she said.

A fourth person was arrested separately, she said, but has not given further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Or maybe he just had ated Muslims with a passion due to what he saw and read and acted with extreme aggression on it.

Hate is one thing. Taking countless innocent lives off the back of some twisted extremist ideals is another and should never be excused or accepted in a civilized society.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hate is one thing. Taking countless innocent lives off the back of some twisted extremist ideals is another and should never be excused or accepted in a civilized society.

I agree it shouldn't t be accepted, but Im tired of 'mental health' issues blamed for this.
    This was a hatred that was fuelled overtime for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I would have marked New Zealand down as a safe country. Far away and idyllic to be almost immune to such atrocity.

Without downplaying the tragedy though, it seems ironic that it occured in a place called Christchurch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Hate is toxic
    Islamophobia is hate
    Why would anyone want to watch the video?

Jesus. He started the Live stream by saying the "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" meme.. (There is no link to him, it's a meme that is everywhere.) And then his manifesto has the Navy Seal meme. Guy is whack.

Sad sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭tritium

Oh Christ, there are no words for this. Horrific act on innocent people in a peaceful and beautiful country.

RIP the victims of this awful crime

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lowest of the low attacking people in their place of worship

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

To wake up and the first thing on Facebook is one of those marked safe things from a friend of mine is quiet scary.

In absolute shock here. Lived in New Zealand for over 2 years spending a year in Christchurch. Luckily all my friends who are still there appear to be safe.

It’s just another horrible event to happen to a city that is probably just on the verge of really being back to its structural self after the devastating earthquakes.

Ireland and New Zealand have always been closely associated and we mirror each other in a huge amount of ways. Hopefully this type of incident never happens on our shores.

RIP to all victims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

NZ is the last place I think of something like this happening, it can't just be fobbed off as the result of mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

The people on there calling this guy a nutter are seriously downplaying this l, I’ve flicked through the manifesto, this is a deep hated acquired over time and feed by his own bias. This was no random nutcase who just snapped this was planned and the guy who done it had all his mental faculty’s intact

I think when people hear about a shooting or other type of attack by a white guy it is instantly thought of as "mental issues" and when a dark skinned person does it it is terrorism.

People forget that white people can be terrorists too.

I've been switching between radio and TV stations. It seems to me that the BBC has barely mentioned it and RTE Radio One spent half an hour droning on about ridiculous Brexit ****e. They are only getting to it now.

no.8 wrote: »
    It has been called out as an act of terrorism already. Horrific

Not to the extent it should be. I just think that in the west/white society when something like this happens we are too quick to try excuse it as a result of mental health issues or anger at what the evil Muslim community have perpetrated on us as if this makes these acts acceptable or understandable. Or we use the term murder or mass murder as if to try and differentiate the act.

It’s terrorism pure and simple and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I always thought of new Zealand as being very simillar to ireland as in a safe place. Terrible thing to wake up to. Humans can be beyond cruel.

I agree it shouldn't t be accepted, but Im tired of 'mental health' issues blamed for this.

Me too but trying to justify it the way your previous post did isn’t acceptable either imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NZ is the last place I think of something like this happening, it can't just be fobbed off as the result of mental illness.

When there are 4 in custody, obviously not.

It was not 'a lone madman', but obviously a planned attack by terrorists, well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

What is the word coming to? RIP to the victims :(

RTE Reporting that death toll now stands at 49.

Me too but trying to justify it the way your previous post did isn’t acceptable either imo.

Are you crazy???? Nobody tried to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

I think the Police Commissioner has just said that one of the four arrested looks like he wasn't involved. Wrong place, wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Did you feel the same about the propaganda pic of the Kurdish child on the beach??

I'm not understanding the connection you are making.
    Personally I think all people should be afforded dignity in death and to post images of dead bodies from any circumstance is undignified to the people who have passed. I can never understand when it happens on media these days, where one can see dead bodies and bloodied carnage even on ordinary newspapers - there used to be a time not long ago when that was considered inhumane and abhorrent.

The image of Ebba was circulated from some ghoulish upload by a passerby, and I mentioned it because she is mentioned in the manifesto and because I remembered her due to the image being here, visible on a twitter embed. The image of Aylan was also horrible but the one from Stockholm was brutal.
    This person's video and manifesto should not be available either. That's just my opinion. Makes him feel important and relevant, when he is just a despicable savage whose name should not be repeated because that would give him satisfaction. People do remember these names - Anders B is an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Don t dismiss this murderer as a nutter. I am sure he has thought through the likely long term consequences, just like Brevik.

Are you crazy???? Nobody tried to justify it.

That poster suggested that this act was committed out of anger at the many horrific attacks by Muslim extremists - to me that smacks of trying to justify it or least make it something understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Especially when he's making such a show of referencing online memes and chan culture.

To my mind he's clearly someone who was radicalised by the seemingly never ending stream of Islamophobic and hate fuelled online personalitites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Anybody watching or distributioning the disgusting video should be be tracked down and face criminal charges.

Advertisement