Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

shocking, just saw this on my news feed.
    - nine confirmed dead, as per https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111313938/live-coverage-police-attending-evolving-situation-in-christchurch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

R.I.P to all the victims

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

An extreme loony attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Neo Nazi scumbag! Apparently the cops have shot him dead!
    RIP to all the victims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Neo Nazi scumbag! Apparently the cops have shot him dead!

Can't say I blame them. Folks like Brevik who immediately demonstrate a willingness to surrender are a rarity.

However, usually such things turn out in the end to be self-inflicted gunshots, not police-fired ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

At least one shooter confirmed to be an Aussie. 2 shooters confirmed, possibly more at another location

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12213039

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

RIP to all the victims.

A foul act of complete cowardice to attack and murder people at prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Live streamed on youtube by the shooter

At least one shooter confirmed to be an Aussie. 2 shooters confirmed, possibly more at another location

That's an interesting twist, from that article.

Second shooting at mosque in Linwood

A second shooting happened at a mosque in the Linwood area of the city.

One Friday prayer goer returned fire with a rifle or shotgun.

Witnesses said they heard multiple gunshots around 1.45pm.

A well known Muslim local chased the shooters and fired two shots at them as they sped off.

He was heard telling police officers he was firing in "self defence".

Note, for the record, Kiwi firearms laws are quite different from much of the world. They work off "Track the man, not the weapon". If a person is good to go, they can own pretty much what's on the permit, which can, in theory, include full-on machineguns. Firearms are generally not registered, only owners. That said, I have no idea what their position is on Aussies with permits.

So it's looking likely that there were two shooters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Looks like he killed at least 30 on the Facebook Livestream. :( It's really really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That statement is going to be very very controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pardon my ignorance, has there been any terrorist attacks in New Zealand by those who subscribe to a version of Islam? I ask because I can't recall any. How do you radicalise someone to the point of them murdering people of a different identity when that identity hasn't even committed any violence in the radicals' homeland? Extreme level of brainwashing.

In many ways I find this event more disturbing than other mass killings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, has there been any terrorist attacks in New Zealand by those who subscribe to a version of Islam? I ask because I can't recall any. How do you radicalise someone to the point of them murdering people of a different identity when that identity hasn't even committed any violence in the radicals' homeland? Extreme level of brainwashing.

In many ways I find this event more disturbing than other mass killings.

The last with the manifesto is not even from New Zealand. He's one sick puppy. His Twitter was all dodgy memes and he was a regular on 8chan supposedly.

CBC News are reporting 4 have been arrested so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

27 confirmed dead according to the news. Jesus. There will be so many families missing their loved ones today. :(

Sick, twisted scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

This is horrific.

So it's looking likely that there were two shooters?

No, it seems to just be the one. Looks like he started with the Linwood mosque, then got driven off by return fire. He then stuck it out in the Christchurch mosque. The Chattanooga shooter had a similar course of events. Others have been arrested, but it's to be seen if they were correctly identified, or even just indirect aides.

He mentions both as targets in his manifesto, and says he acted alone.

Speaking of, his manifesto is far different than most. Usually they are long, barely coherent ramblings. This guy is short, to the point, and is very aware of what he's doing. He almost writes it as an AMA. A lot of it is very biting satire, with some interesting side-jabs, such as against Candace Owens

Example:
    "Were/are you a fascist?
    Yes. For once, the person that will be called a fascist, is an actual fascist.
    I am sure the journalists will love that."

"Were/are you a supporter of Donald Trump?
    As a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose? Sure. As a
    policy maker and leader? Dear god no."

"Were you taught violence and extremism by video games, music, literature, cinema?
    Yes, Spyro the dragon 3 taught me ethno-nationalism. Fortnite trained me
    to be a killer and to floss on the corpses of my enemies."

And, of course, the whole "I was a Navy Seal, graduated at the top of my class" meme.

Though there are, obviously, the more sinister comments.

"Why did you carry out the attack?
    To most of all show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands,
    our homelands are our own and that, as long as a white man still lives,
    they will NEVER conquer our lands and they will never replace our
    people."

"Why New Zealand?"
    "To show that no place is safe" (Ireland, take note)

"Why did you choose to use firearms?
    "To create social discourse, extra media coverage, and to further encourage the American left to ban firearms. This will start a US Civil war" (Paraphrasing much longer paragraph)

At least there are few questions unanswered here, unlike the cases of many who are killed after committing a mass shooting. This is assuming that one of those arrested is not actually him. (It seems it is, though, and the manifesto indicates that he wasn't planning on dying)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The coward didn't have the balls to go to Syria to fight ISIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What a POS, horrendous incident.

The coward didn't have the balls to go to Syria to fight ISIS.

His position is that he has no problem with muslims in other countries, or what they do, as long as they do it in their own countries. Your statement may be true, but it also is not contrary to his stated position. Basically he's a white nationalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

people."
    that argument might carry a little more weight were he not in a land where whites displaced a native population.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Your statement may be true, but it also is not contrary to his stated position. Basically he's a white nationalist.

I guess it's beyond the dope's intelligence that white people are relatively new to Australia and New Zealand.

No, it seems to just be the one. Looks like he started with the Linwood mosque, then got driven off by return fire. He then stuck it out in the Christchurch mosque. The Chattanooga shooter had a similar course of events. Others have been arrested, but it's to be seen if they were correctly identified, or even just indirect aides.

He mentions both as targets in his manifesto, and says he acted alone.

Speaking of, his manifesto is far different than most. Usually they are long, barely coherent ramblings. This guy is short, to the point, and is very aware of what he's doing. He almost writes it as an AMA. A lot of it is very biting satire, with some interesting side-jabs, such as against Candace Owens

Example:
    "Were/are you a fascist?
    Yes. For once, the person that will be called a fascist, is an actual fascist.
    I am sure the journalists will love that."

"Were/are you a supporter of Donald Trump?
    As a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose? Sure. As a
    policy maker and leader? Dear god no."

"Were you taught violence and extremism by video games, music, literature, cinema?
    Yes, Spyro the dragon 3 taught me ethno-nationalism. Fortnite trained me
    to be a killer and to floss on the corpses of my enemies."

And, of course, the whole "I was a Navy Seal, graduated at the top of my class" meme.

Though there are, obviously, the more sinister comments.

people."

"Why New Zealand?"
    "To show that no place is safe" (Ireland, take note)

"Why did you choose to use firearms?
    "To create social discourse, extra media coverage, and to further encourage the American left to ban firearms. This will start a US Civil war" (Paraphrasing much longer paragraph)

At least there are few questions unanswered here, unlike the cases of many who are killed after committing a mass shooting. This is assuming that one of those arrested is not actually him. (It seems it is, though, and the manifesto indicates that he wasn't planning on dying)

Think there had to be at least two shooters. They only happened five minutes apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Bret Hart wrote: »
    The whole 17 minutes of the incident is on bitchute.com

That’s some harrowing footage alright, guy barley seemed phased by it while driving away after casually speaking to the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I guess it's beyond the dope's intelligence that white people are relatively new to Australia and New Zealand.

Not a big history buff obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monreader

Its crazy when this happens right on your doorstep. I live just 2 minutes away from the Linwood Mosque. You hear so much about mass shooting but it feels surreal when it happens so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That’s some harrowing footage alright, guy barley seemed phased by it while driving away after casually speaking to the camera.

if nothing else it shows how utterly cowardly an act it is. Mowing down totally defenceless people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monreader

Think there had to be at least two shooters. They only happened five minutes apart.

Yes there were 2 active shooters. The mosques are about 20 minute drive between 1 and the attacks happened near simultaneously. 4 people have been arrested.

As I recall, he addresses this point in the manifesto as well. One may argue his conclusion, but he doesn't avoid the question.
    Yes there were 2 active shooters.

Very well, I sit corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Also before anyone pulls the whole “I’m doing exactly what the killer wants by watching the video” the worldwide 24 hour news media will give him the attention he wants moreso then me or any individual watching the video ever could.

Advertisement