Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saturday Mar 16th: Snowfall, heavy rain, localised flood risk

• 13-03-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭

So...

Heavy rain moving up over the country on Friday night is likely to turn to snow on it's northern and northwestern flank for Saturday as it comes up against much colder air with more favorable variables for snow coming down to low levels.

There is still some uncertainty as to the precise track.

If it's track shifts further southeast more of the country, including South Leinster and Munster are at risk of snow. If the track stays northwest then Ulster and Connaught have high risk of heavy snowfall.

Right now it looks as though Ulster and Connaught are most at risk of heavy and disruptive snowfall.

However, the forecast track of shortwave is still fluid and likely to shift either way over the coming days.

Areas: North Connaught, Ulster, North Leinster (inc Wicklow mtns)

Risk: Heavy snowfall, the apocalypse, Brexit style chaos

Areas: South Leinster, Munster

Risk: Heavy rainfall, localised flooding

fax72s.gif?1

Definite disruption risks for some so keep up to date but some entertainment to be had too. :cool:

kermit-frog-snow-ball-throw-39358.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&h=650&w=650

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm driving from North Kildare to south Cavan on Saturday afternoon. It could prove to be a rather interesting drive!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You can't beat a KDF thread! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bloody hell another nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 66,770 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is my Super Saturday rugby at risk? :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

EDIT: Good on ye Kermit, posted this a moment ago in the Chats thread , more fitting in here. Looks like a knife edge marginal situation again. Good case study for learning!

ECM 12Z showing a LP traversing the country in the early hours. The Front looks to run into cold air and produce wintry precipitation. The current run showing snow a possibility in Northern counties and looking very wet in several counties. Possible rainfall warnings . Windy on coasts in the Southern half of the country and breezy overland but atm below warning level, winds easing from the SW from early morning. Cold day and showery and maybe merging into longer spells of rain , hail and maybe thunder possible with the passage of troughs.

9K4xcX6.gif

THpeiLF.png

uPzqCll.png

Hg9dqLa.png

aqfWuZB.png

7TXjRmB.png

3Do58EF.gif

4LQfUEq.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Depressing is what it is

Have been keeping an eye on this for a few days now. Could be quite interesting alright. Still plenty of room for both upgrades and downgrades but in any case, this is looking like it'll probably be our last possible snow event of the season as it looks to be turning milder as we move towards the latter part of March.

Where is the rugby being played?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Breadmagedon it is so, see you all on the battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

highdef wrote: »

Nearest is Cardiff.

There is zero chance of any of the six nations games being cancelled barring a major outbreak of war or some unmitigated disaster. It would be like cancelling Christmas in Wales, they're on for a Grand Slam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Ohhh nooooo

I just accepted today that we'll see no more snow until next winter, now we're back on the rollercoaster again...

Fantastic Island trip again

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

In Kermit we trust :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66,770 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

highdef wrote: »

Rome - Cardiff - Twickenham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

If it is then cheer up Francie because the GAA intellectuals have scheduled no less than four Division 1 National Hurling League games for Saturday afternoon. :rolleyes: Better hurry and reserve your tickets though, because they'll probably all be sell-outs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Oh no a Kermit thread :)
    I observed this on Met UK today.
    I would be excited if staying at home but have a trip planned East to West on Saturday. Eeek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I had thought we were all done with the cold weather , perhaps one last hurrah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Im a disbeliever on this occasion Kermit.

I think 5 to 8c and just cold rain.

Thanks for highlighting an interesting possibility though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

pauldry wrote: »
    Im a disbeliever on this occasion Kermit.

I think 5 to 8c and just cold rain.

Thanks for highlighting an interesting possibility though.

There's no place for this kind of talk here...
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Upland event only, stay off the mountain passes, light the fire, rugby, beers, favourite nosh, let it rain coldly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

+1 flying to Cardiff Saturday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Unless we get something akin to last Friday night, I'm not interested. Snow at this time of year is just Meteorological diarrhea.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Any chance the wexford vs Galway hurling game will be cancelled? Its on in salthill at 1.30 on sat! We are planning on travelling over to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Any chance the wexford vs Galway hurling game will be cancelled? Its on in salthill at 1.30 on sat! We are planning on travelling over to it.

None.

Expect a nice stiff icy wind and a few sharp showers though, could be some hail, but you won't see any kind of wintry disruption in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Love cold and snow but that ship has sailed.......spring weather please. Anything we get from this will likely be a cold, slushy mess. The snow we got around Paddy's day last year is a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

sideswipe wrote: »
    Love cold and snow but that ship has sailed.......spring weather please. Anything we get from this will likely be a cold, slushy mess. The snow we got around Paddy's day last year is a case in point.
    The snow of March 18th 2018 was anything but a mess.
    475459.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Still Ulster, North Connaught for the snow on Saturday this morning.

Still time for some adjustments either way.

Heavy pulses of rain elsewhere (as of this morning's model guidance)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Donegal

A spell of snow on Friday night and early Saturday morning will lead to poor driving conditions and accumulations of up to 3 cm. On high ground accumulations are likely to be greater.

Valid: Saturday 16 March 2019 00:01 to Saturday 16 March 2019 12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

sideswipe wrote: »

Agreed. Patricks day last year was one of the coldest days I can remember (incredible windchill) but still the snow melted pretty quickly where I was (in Waterford that weekend).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think this weekend will be anywhere nearly as successful as Paddy's weekend last year in terms of snow, last year that was an easterly and brought properly low temperatures nationwide.

Saturday's snow risk looks very low away from high ground:

Precipitation mostly of rain throughout the country during daylight hours:

57-574UK.GIF?14-6

Chance of wintry showers early Saturday night, GFS tend's to overcook these snowrisks.

66-574UK.GIF?14-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A bank holiday Monday hike up Lug looks like it may be nice :D

Advertisement