Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skate Park in Cork

• 26-03-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey guys

I have a consortium like "the red nights" together with a couple of business partners and i am going to open a skate park in cork somewhere but i was just wondering what would be the most central postion for this, bear in mind it will have to service from mallow, youghal, macroom and pretty much everything in-between.

Any ideas????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

Hey man,

I already know of someone with a few investers opening an indoor skatepark in Cork, I also know that they are finalising a deal on a large warehouse.

What size are you looking to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Do you have any plan's drawn up?Will bmx riders and rollerblader's be allowed as well as skater's.Do you know for a fact there are enough skater's in the area's you mentsion too support a pay to use skatepark?
    It would be great too have two indoor skateparks in Cork but how will two survive when Woodworx was gone after less than two year's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Billo69

Yes BMX's and bladers would be allowed, i had no idea that there was another one opening up, does anyone know when and were they are going??

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

I say they will start construction as soon as the warehouse deal in done, I don't know where.

What size are you looking for in square feet?
    Close to Cork city would be nice but expensive to rent, remember you must also pay rates to the council on warehouses.
    On a bus route would also be handy.

It really depends on your budget.

Have you got insurance?

Warehouse deal is no prob, we own warehouses, insurance should be coming through soon, regarding size itll be big enough, the bigger the better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Hey Billo,where are the warehouses you own located?Would be handy to give advice on suitble location.Are you a skater,inliner or bmx rider yourself?

The city would be the best,but as Rebelbmx stated,rates and rent's are high,but if you have free access or reduced cost access to a warehouse...no reason it cannot work elsewhere.Remember there are trains running from Middleton too city which were not there the last time there was a skatepark in Cork.

Im either thinking little island, blackpool industrial area, centre park rd, carrigtohill, douglas kinda regions, not all of them just one for now, dont get too stoked...what do you guys think???

Wideangle, I skate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 PlayMusiC.SCT

Somewhere around the Blarney area would handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sk8er

well i live in blackpool so that would suit me but i wanna think of others too anyway i dont think you should build it in little island because thats really far away besides there is buses from town that can stop off in blackpool and a lot of people pass through that area so they will notice the skate park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'd have to agree with the poster above me, anywhere around town besides little island would be fine. except knocka :D. I'd pay to use this anyway. If you're accommodating bikers as well, it'll have to be big. This great, any idea if it is definitely going ahead? Oh and also, like rebelbmx said, there is another group of people looking to build an indoor park, don't know any more about that though, sorry.

• Advertisement

So Billo69 you make any decisions yet?And as the poster above me said ill pay to use this anyway2..

Sk8er and Herb, there is a lot of red tape in this country so i am still trying to get through all that, it'll take a while but i'll get there, regards driving through blackpool i know it is a busy road but how many people skate in the area, how many people skate in and around the city anyway?????

So the city would be nice but i'm not sure if you'll get a large size of a building.Many skaters gather in the centre so that would be nice.I live like 5mins from town..

Billo69 wrote: »
    Sk8er and Herb, there is a lot of red tape in this country so i am still trying to get through all that, it'll take a while but i'll get there, regards driving through blackpool i know it is a busy road but how many people skate in the area, how many people skate in and around the city anyway?????
    I honestly couldn't tell you. so many people skate in Cork. I know it will take time, but look at the SofD in Dublin-that got built pretty quickly.

I have a feeling this will never be heard of again

Hey Guys its been a while.

Im just letting you know that things are looking good and things are starting to move along nicely at the moment..... at the moment.

Just to keep everyone updated, and you aswell HERB...

I just have a couple of questions...

1. How many times in a month do you think you would go to the park?
    2. How much are you prepared to pay to get in?
    3. What brand name would you like to see in the shop?
    4. How often would you like a comp?

Advertisement