Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

$hifty wrote: »
    Currently on sale in Argos for €40

(click blue link to visit the online shop)

That didn't last long it seems
    Sorry, that offer is no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

That didn't last long it seems

Working here at the minute m8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

wiz569 wrote: »
    Working here at the minute m8

Working here now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The potential for ipads, phones and kindles to fall off hospital beds, from a great height onto a very hard floor, is huge. Chargers tend to get unplugged when needed for more important equipment and cables should be labelled with owner's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hey. I have an Android phone thst has a small memory.
    My photos on the phone automatically backup to Google photos and stay there in archive even if I delete them from the phone.
    My question is: is this taking up my phone memory also?
    I can and do open Google photos on my phone.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Hey. I have an Android phone thst has a small memory.
    My photos on the phone automatically backup to Google photos and stay there in archive even if I delete them from the phone.
    My question is: is this taking up my phone memory also?
    I can and do open Google photos on my phone.
    No, you have to download them again to use space.

Buy new phone, at least 32gb internal storage

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/

Use PayPal

Yeeeee

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or see if your phone takes a memory card (it should). Just make sure the card isn't to big memory-wise to be compatible with your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Each time I sign-in to Gmail I get the following message on my screen. I am using the same laptop all the time. Any suggestions please.

Verify that it's you.
    This device isn't recognized. For your security, Google wants to make sure that it's really you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,803 ✭✭✭✭muffler

cnoc wrote: »
    Each time I sign-in to Gmail I get the following message on my screen. I am using the same laptop all the time. Any suggestions please.

Verify that it's you.
    This device isn't recognized. For your security, Google wants to make sure that it's really you.
    Google has ramped up its security in the last while so I wouldnt worry about the message. It usually entails logging in and confirming it was you and possibly updating an alternative contact method i.e. phone no. or alternative email address.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Google are a pain in the neck...

You can try and log in from your phone or from another computer to see if you can still see that message (gmail may decide it's you after all), and when you are in you may get a notification to say that an unknown person tried to access your account, and to confirm that it was you.

Otherwise, try and follow their instructions: they may ask you to input your mobile number, you'll get a text from them with a verification code that you'll then have to type into the field on screen. That should let you in. Mind you, they may ask you to answer a security question, if you had one set up from the start... but even with that, they may still cause you problems. Like I said, a complete PITN...

• Advertisement

I reckon its just another way of getting your mobile number...when the 'for your security you should give us your mobile number' stuff doesn't work.

My point exactly. I wrote to their "support" desk a number of times when that ↑ happened to me saying "We all know what you're doing, stop phishing!!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

cnoc wrote: »

Verify that it's you.

Similar happening to me. For me, the computer is not remembering all the stuff its supposed to. Like when I bookmark a site, its not in bookmark when i come back later. I think its something to do with write permissions to certain files / folders....in my case. Maybe yours is same. You shouldn't be adked tge same Qs all tge time. Maybe the permission is not being recorded by your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Similar happening to me. For me, the computer is not remembering all the stuff its supposed to. Like when I bookmark a site, its not in bookmark when i come back later. I think its something to do with write permissions to certain files / folders....in my case. Maybe yours is same. You shouldn't be adked tge same Qs all tge time. Maybe the permission is not being recorded by your computer.

It's happening constantly when I sign in to Gmail. It remains on my bookmarks all the time. Gmail isn't the only one - Yahoo mail is asking for verification and Facebook has joined the posse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi all.

I got a new Laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office loaded on it.

Just wondering if there any MUST DO's to get up and running. Any recommended settings etc that you would recommend me to use. WIN10 is new to me and am slow in getting around so could do with some help beside You Tube etc

Many thanks in advance

Win10 and Office

Go to your local Library and ask for computer section. Grab a book on Windows 10.
    Also, grab a book on Office: if it's Office 2010 avoid it.
    I suggest selecting a book on Office 365

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Masala wrote: »
    Hi all.

I got a new Laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office loaded on it.

Just wondering if there any MUST DO's to get up and running. Any recommended settings etc that you would recommend me to use. WIN10 is new to me and am slow in getting around so could do with some help beside You Tube etc

Many thanks in advance

Set up a guest account and you use it.

You enter the password of the main one (administrator) when installing stuff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

I have a laptop in work and a docking station with 2 monitors

Laptop lid closed and on docking station - 1 monitor either side -

Can I use Laptop as a third (middle screen) ?

Yes. I think 3 is the limit, but one of them can be the laptops own screen. You can put them in any order you want.

To be sure, find out whether your graphics card supports multiple monitors . Find the name of your card (Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters) and Google it with the monitor setup you’re looking to run (e.g. “Nvidia GTX 770 four monitors”).

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Seems my laptop only supports two as when I try to connect the laptop one of the screens switches off

• Advertisement

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Seems my laptop only supports two as when I try to connect the laptop one of the screens switches off

Try it without the docking station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Each time I go onto Wikipedia I'm asked for a donation of €2 and I'm feeling guilty I haven't donated as yet. I use Wikipedia a lot, but not for anything really serious, mainly trivia. Its a bit like passing a homeless person regularly - should I donate or should I not? Anyone else here giving to Wiki?

I did once, then they had me damned going on and on about donating again, it ended up being quite passive aggressive stuff too. I think Wiki is great but they will have to be satisfied with my one off donation!

I give to a few charities of my choice, and I only get a letter from them at Christmas. Any other charities that pester me during the year I ignore. I wouldn't want to be pestered by Wikipedia. By any chance did they tell you how much they had raised that time Looksee? I'd like to be able to see the accounts! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Each time I go onto Wikipedia I'm asked for a donation of €2 and I'm feeling guilty I haven't donated as yet. I use Wikipedia a lot, but not for anything really serious, mainly trivia. Its a bit like passing a homeless person regularly - should I donate or should I not? Anyone else here giving to Wiki?

I do it once a year. 2€ once a year, I do think there layout doesn't help things it all looks over the top, like the site is about to close down if you don't give a donation!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,803 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Anyone else here giving to Wiki?
    Yes, donated twice but.....
    looksee wrote: »
    it ended up being quite passive aggressive stuff too. I think Wiki is great but they will have to be satisfied with my one off donation!
    Couldnt agree more. I've had a few emails from them looking for donations but the annoying thing is, even though I threw them a couple of euros, Im still getting the same message looking for a donation anytime I log into their website. I wont be donating again.

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    I do it once a year. 2€ once a year, I do think there layout doesn't help things it all looks over the top, like the site is about to close down if you don't give a donation!

I agree, it certainly feels like its the end of the road if I don't give that €2!

I just realised I have been on Wiki a few times recently and not been advertised at, just checked, nope, no ad. Must be selective.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

It's a bit of a nuiscance having the appeal appear during browsing sessions, especially after donating. Wikipedia is such an amazing resource that I just continue with what I was searching for and accept that they need money to continue providing that amazing resource that billions of people use every year. No advertising, no pop-ups, just independant, reliable (IMO) information on very nearly everything...............and all for free. Along with other similarly motivated, non-profitmaking, organisations like Project Gutenberg, Petrucci Music Library, Linux etc etc they are the true champions of the Internet and deserve as much support as they can get.

IMHO.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I just realised I have been on Wiki a few times recently and not been advertised at, just checked, nope, no ad. Must be selective.

They know I haven't given my €2 yet!

Advertisement