Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

area question on parish records

• 21-03-2020 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey,

anyone know where BESSBOROUGH CO DUBLIN would be in NLI parish records. Thanks. more time on my hands like everyone and using it wisely.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not Bessborough avenue?
    Can't think of a Bessborough area in Dublin.

There is a Bessboro apartment complex in Terenure which may be named after something existing in the area, but I'm not familiar with that part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

I have a married cert on Irish genealogy and address is BESSBOROUGH CO DUBLIN , can't find a birth cert for him.... will see where tereneure is covered in nli parish records. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

St. Joseph's for Terenure, on NLI with baptisms from 1870

btw - old name for Terenure was Roundtown

familiar with the area, but cant think of anywhere historic called Bessborough

Thanks all... it was 1844... will try roots ireland as terenure only starts at 1870.

• Advertisement

if he was born in the area then possibly Rathfarnham or Rathmines parishes then, dont think RootsIreland have either

What was this guy's occupation on the marriage cert ?

I know he was a policeman but doesn't say on marriage record.

there's a Bessborough Parade between Ranelagh and Rathmines, not to far away, goes between the Tennis Club in Mount Pleasent Square and Rathmines Church

If he was a policeman I think his service record should say which county he was born in, probably DMP if he served in Dublin, I think their records include a specific parish and county of birth

found a Bessborough, presumably house, on Terenure Road West, look on the old OSI maps, about where the Laurels is now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can I assist with a lookup in Jim Herlihy's DMP book, or the RIC records?

• Advertisement

There may be some clues in directories if this guy actually lived at this Bessborough or was linked to the resident family, rather than just worked in some capacity or lodged there

spurious wrote: »
    Can I assist with a lookup in Jim Herlihy's DMP book, or the RIC records?

I think I've seen that DMP book, does it give civil parishes as well as county ?

spurious if you can look up please. His name was Patrick O'Neill or Neill and parents was Patrick and Dora according to his marriage cert.

here's a link to the civil marriage record 1880, gives his occupation as acting sergeant

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Do you think he was DMP or RIC? Was it his marriage in 1844?
    (Just to get a time frame)

**edit just saw last few posts, thanks

his parents address on the church record looks like Kilgorvan, Co. Kildare ?

ath262 my goodness.... why couldn't i find this.................. Thank you soooooooooo much

full age at marriage in 1880, presuming it's the right guy, bride is Anastasia Burke, marriage Haddington Rd.

Could it be this one?
    Patrick Neill DMP 6622 born 1839, RC, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare, died 1887?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

ath262 wrote: »
    his parents address on the church record looks like Kilgorvan, Co. Kildare ?

Think that's Kilgowan

Vetch wrote: »
    Think that's Kilgowan

was just double checking that and think the same..

here - parents Pat and Dolly, 20th Aug 1839 Kilcullen

He lived in Ebenezer Terrace - just off Donore Avenue [between Cork St and South Circular Road]

ath262 wrote: »
    here - parents Pat and Dolly, 20th Aug 1839 Kilcullen

forgot to mention, mother's surname is not noted in the baptism register. Sponsors for Pat jnr. appear to be another Pat Neill and Judy Bagner

Possible death of the father Pat in 1883.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06377/4830220.pdf

it might be worth 4 euro to have a look at the death for a Dorah Neil in 1873, Naas.

Sorry Have been off line, thanks for replies, catching up no.

Could it be this one?
    Patrick Neill DMP 6622 born 1839, RC, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare, died 1887?

PATRICK NEILL , died 17th Jul 1887... where did you find that info? anything else on him.

• Advertisement

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    PATRICK NEILL , died 17th Jul 1887... where did you find that info? anything else on him.

The death record is online at Irish Genealogy. If you click on this link you will see the record https://bit.ly/33GxSIK - you may have to click that you're not a robot and then type in your name to access the record.

Name PATRICK NEILL Date of Death 1887 Group Registration ID 6761073 SR District/Reg Area Dublin South Deceased Age at Death 45

Click on "Image" and this will bring you to the page in the Death records.

Advertisement