Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 €119.99 @ Argos

• 11-06-2019 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Redmi Note 5 is an AI dual camera phone, which is terrific to take photos and selfies under any circumstances. Redmi Note 5 delivers high-quality images, even in low light conditions. Redmi Note 5 can produce SLR-level pictures with bokeh effect even when taking selfies.

Face ID.

Network:

Network provider: Sim free.
    2G, 3G and 4G network capability.
    Dual SIM card phone: supports 2 SIM cards simultaneously.
    SIM card type: nano SIM and nano SIM.
    Display and Design:

5.99 inch .
    With a density of 403 pixels per inch.
    Touch screen.
    Toughened glass.
    Dimensions:

Size H158.6, W75.4, D8.05mm.
    Weight 181g.
    Camera and Video:

Dual camera.
    Front camera 13MP.
    Rear camera 12MP.
    Second rear camera 5MP.
    Camera features: SLR-Level Bokeh; AI Face Beauty.
    Storage:

Internal memory 64GB.
    Expandable memory up to 64GB.
    Technical specifications:

1.8GHz octa core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.
    4GB RAM.
    Operating system: Android.
    Battery:

4000mAh battery capacity.
    Product features:

MP3 and MP4 player.
    Headphone port.
    Fingerprint scanner For simple, safe and speedy unlocking and better security.
    Connectivity:

Wi-Fi.
    Bluetooth.
    GPS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭testtech05

Anyone using one of these phones, how do you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

testtech05 wrote:

Currently using mine to respond to your post. Great phone, although I bought mine for 160 euro over a year ago. Can't go wrong for 119 worth it for what you get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

testtech05 wrote: »

Nice crisp screen- it is a little laggy with some apps- but the killer reason to use this- is the outstanding battery- I easily get 2 days out of it. Providing you accept that its a budget phone and are willing to overlook the fact that it simply doesn't have the horsepower of some more recent handsets- its a remarkable value proposition, with a wonderful battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Have one with the past 6 months as a work phone and think it's really good. It's big but not awkward to use. Screen is decent - not as crisp as the likes of the galaxy s8 etc but decent all the same. Camera is good - not top class but not too shabby either. Battery is definitly the biggest plus - charges quite fast and lasts aaages compared to other phones I've owned. Absoloute bargain for 119

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

testtech05 wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057852692 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Hi

My wife had the samsung s8+ which supported wifi calling through our Eir package (it's broke now) - would this phone support wifi calling would anyone know? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Bought for €250 on release for the 4gb version. Phone is suitable for all apps only higher end games will have noticeable slowdowns. The slower processor choice allows much better battery usage I generally have no issue getting 2 days out of it on charge. Excellent custom rom community around this device if your are more technically inclined.
    For 120e I'm considering buying a spare phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Thats a pretty good deal, its a shame it doesn't have nfc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Thats a pretty good deal, its a shame it doesn't have nfc

The only reason I don't buy a xiaomi, its very handy having NFC when running into shops and forgot the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

TheDriver wrote: »
    The only reason I don't buy a xiaomi, its very handy having NFC when running into shops and forgot the wallet.

The only reason I use nfc is the rare times I need to get the bus to top up my leap card

• Advertisement

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    The only reason I use nfc is the rare times I need to get the bus to top up my leap card

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ditto.

I love the irony between your comment and username....

Looks like the 6 is the same price, which is best?

Never mind, it's the Note 5 and the non-Note 6 that are the same price.

Looks like the 6 is the same price, which is best?

Slightly better camera on the 6- however, it has a notched screen.
    Same processor and battery in both.
    If you don't mind the notch- go with the 6- otherwise take the 5
    Its a Snapdragon 636 in both phones- and a nice 4000mAh battery.
    So- not a lot between them- the screen is definitely nicer on the 6 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Slightly better camera on the 6- however, it has a notched screen.
    Same processor and battery in both.
    If you don't mind the notch- go with the 6- otherwise take the 5
    Its a Snapdragon 636 in both phones- and a nice 4000mAh battery.
    So- not a lot between them- the screen is definitely nicer on the 6 though.

Note that the 6 that Argos are offering is configured with 3 / 32 GB of memory whereas their Note 5 is configured with 4 / 64 GB

Tried ordering on Argos, says they're available for reservation but at the end I get an error saying the items weren't purchased. I've got an email saying the reservation was successful but there's no reservation code.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Tried ordering on Argos, says they're available for reservation but at the end I get an error saying the items weren't purchased. I've got an email saying the reservation was successful but there's no reservation code.

Yes, showing subsequently as out of stock despite saying orderable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I got the normal...will be available to collect from: and a date. That said I reserved it before lunch.

beauf wrote: »
    I got the normal...will be available to collect from: and a date. That said I reserved it before lunch.

Still want it? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Methinks might be a bit of a screw up - got the note saying 'Thanks for Reservation', but no reservation number.

redt0m wrote: »
    Methinks might be a bit of a screw up - got the note saying 'Thanks for Reservation', but no reservation number.

Always happens when they run out of stock- they just stop adding an order no. to the e-mails going out. It would make a lot more sense to not send an e-mail at all- but its how they do it........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It amazing after all these year their website goes nuts when something is out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Does this have USB Type C and support fast charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Morby wrote: »
    Does this have USB Type C and support fast charging?

micro-Usb, It has fast charging.

mad turnip wrote: »
    micro-Usb, It has fast charging.

Note- while it has fast charging- it doesn't come with a fast charger!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I got a reservation no. for Argos in Nutgrove. Available to collect from Friday they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

If anyone has a reservation code for Limerick, Galway or Dublin they don’t want then my Sister would take it as she’s looking for a phone.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Just kept getting those blank emails when I tried reserve it earlier so if anyone has a spare code for Tralee or Killarney for either the 6 or Note 5, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ditto.
    TheDriver wrote: »
    I love the irony between your comment and username....

....said the driver to the conductor :pac:

Advertisement