Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mostly clear and sunny in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dreadful evening again here now heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just started in my area of Kildare fire lit , time to close the curtains and forget about the world outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing rain in cork city since about 3pm. Heavy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

As soon as you asked when to open the Spring 2019 thread you doomed it :D

• Advertisement

very heavy in cork city now. Big drops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any chance of Thunder from this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Any chance of Thunder from this

It would appear maybe a low chance of sporadic lightning later in the early hours along the S and moving into the Irish sea, but very marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It would appear maybe a low chance of sporadic lightning later in the early hours along the S and moving into the Irish sea, but very marginal.

Some red areas showing up down South must be very heavy there

Pelting off the velux windows, really big heavy drops

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The week looks like becoming progressively more unsettled with wind and rain and currently Sunday showing up with the parameters that support very wintry weather and snowfall possible especially in the Northern half of the country. Uncertainty what with the Jet moving so fast but the charts showing various windy to very windy spells from Fri.

Sun coming if the charts verify looking rough and I could imagine possibly disruptive to travel in places especially Northern counties. Close scrutiny in the coming days no doubt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a rotten evening outside, thankfully the day stayed dry for most of daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The week looks like becoming progressively more unsettled with wind and rain and currently Sunday showing up with the parameters that support very wintry weather and snowfall possible especially in the Northern half of the country. Uncertainty what with the Jet moving so fast but the charts showing various windy to very windy spells from Fri.

Sun coming if the charts verify looking rough and I could imagine possibly disruptive to travel in places especially Northern counties. Close scrutiny in the coming days no doubt.

Scary it might be more unsettled than right now! Biblical stuff in Cork the last hour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be a period of heavy snow in parts of Donegal and Northern Ireland later in the night and towards tomorrow morning. A very wet night for most of us.

hirlamuk-1-19-0.png?05-17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It was a beautiful day until it deteriorated in the evening. Wet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm near the Knockmealdowns Tipp/Waterford border and it's heavy, and relentless since 5.30 pm.

Like really heavy.

The toilets are not draining heavy (our septic tank/drainage area gets overloaded in this situation).

I was here for a glimpse of hope, but I think from what I gather the only bit of relief will be around 2 am. :(

I wouldn't mind if we didn't have that bloody issue with the toilets.

very heavy rain here in Meath too, probably the heaviest rain i've heard in a long time, gutters absolutely overflowing and weak signal on Sky and aerial.

This is relentless. We have been under a orange or red blob in Cork City since about 4/5pm! Still coming too!, although looks like not for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Raining here in Arklow since 4
    16.6 mm and rising so far most of that since 7pm
    Pouring down at the moment
    If it drags all night ,could see 30mm plus maybe 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

March is already starting to look like a brighter version of what November usually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

March is already starting to look like a brighter version of what November usually is.
    Was thinking the same last night
    I would rather have got it in november

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nice afternoon here in Dublin 5.

Brace yourselves
    Some anomalous cold in the middle of the Atlantic as the Cold in the states clashes much further south than often seen with warm air there amplifying our jet arcing it south below us next week
    510 dam is pretty darn cold,it would mean frozen precip from cloud to ground even out there and I'd imagine some hefty showers
    Might have Eastern snowbies looking on in envy west and north again

https://twitter.com/Petagna/status/1103230198403817472?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭acequion

Showery and cold in Tralee. This would have been so much better in winter and to have last week's weather now. It's around now or a little later that I start thinking of my garden, but here in Ireland you get that chance in February and maybe not again for months. :rolleyes:

On a different note. Hope Graces7 is ok. We haven't heard from her for a while and I miss the offshore island weather updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Brace yourselves
    Some anomalous cold in the middle of the Atlantic as the Cold in the states clashes much further south than often seen with warm air there amplifying our jet arcing it south below us next week
    510 dam is pretty darn cold,it would mean frozen precip from cloud to ground even out there and I'd imagine some hefty showers
    Might have Eastern snowbies looking on in envy west and north again

https://twitter.com/Petagna/status/1103230198403817472?s=19
    What does he mean by 'the NAO remains weakly positive'? :confused: It looks VERY positive to me on the chart he posted with LP from the west Atlantic to eastern Europe and of course our old friend the Azores!

fax120s.gif?0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable day in Letterkenny once again, raining non stop from sunrise to sunset, feels like its barely stopped all month so far

Showery in cork city. Driving down to west cork now. Loss of fields heavily flooded, haven’t seen that in years. Lovely blue sky and orange sunset next to the dark clouds though.

Bandon river very high, all the fields are flooded and half way up some trees next to it. If they didn’t have the new wall in Hanson the town would be flooded I’d say

What does he mean by 'the NAO remains weakly positive'? :confused: It looks VERY positive to me on the chart he posted with LP from the west Atlantic to eastern Europe and of course our old friend the Azores!

fax120s.gif?0
    NAO is only a measure of the difference in pressure between two points in the Atlantic,it’s not the only driver
    He’s mentioning it in passing because last time the jet was to be amplified like this,we had a west based neg NAO with its associated high pressure preventing the jet diving south of us
    The cold weather he’s talking about is due to a probable kink in the jet stream which will mean we are to the north of said kink leaving the door open to cold north or northwesterlys but this time the door opens enough for really really cold pockets to enter near enough to potentially make it to our shores
    That 510 dam air for instance is enough or should be for snow to the surface even in the Atlantic and ergo on the west coast at sea level should it head fully here
    The kink favoring our area (if you like cold) is caused to happen where it is by an unusual surge of very cold air all the way into the Deep South US
    Where it’s clashing with warmth is so far south this time that the jet bounces like a basket ball way north to the east of the Us and drops south then in a U shape south of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

March has began very very mixed in Dublin with changeable weather all around but not the worst in the world as there has been some lovely sunny interludes. Pales in comparison to the absolutely stunning Tuesday of last week though.

ByqzHot.jpg

Advertisement